efp0wa's Suzuki FA50 Hog (moped)

efp0wa

I've started this thread aswell as my build thread so that I can discuss the project with other forum users.

Build thread: http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20730

2hwjrqg.jpg

Been having issues with the old girl. And was hoping I could get some feedback.

1st: of all a sudden the rectifier had burnt out so I was continually blowing head and tailights.

2nd: then the indicator flasher relay decided to die

3rd: after finding it near impossible to find a 6v 8w x2 +3w flasher relay i opted for a 6v 17w x2, therefore I had to up the wattage of the indicator bulbs. All this 6volt stuff can be rather difficult to find.

4th: Wired in the new flasher relay and put the bulbs in but they dont flash!! GRRR.

5th: Decided to pull the fuel & oil tanks and give them a clean out aswell as all the crap that had built up underneath them over 26 years.

6th: Then noticed a wire had broken off on a small box (1 wire 6v thing). So I fixed all that up

7th: Put the tanks back in, went to start here and it wont fire. It was working fine before I put the seat down and sat on it. I'm assuming a connection or wire must have gotten caught somewhere when I put weight on the seat causing the old girl not want to fire. By this time is had gone dark and I was geting p*ssed off. I had her going before I put the seat down.

Now something weird i noticed is that it will run without the battery in, whats up with this? What is the purpose of the battery? Lights etc still work without battery in so seems a bit strange to me. Battery could be stuffed and I wouldn't even know...

So tonight or over the weekend I will need to pull the tanks back out and check the wiring & connectors to ensure I didn't munt anything when I put weight on the seat.

*frustrated*....$400 scooter has turned into a pain in the ass and I just wanted some cheap reliable cool transport for getting around town. Anyhow I will get her sorted.