anglia4's anglia zetec

anglia4

Did a little more tonight, the seam which attaches the bulkhead to the inner wing had got a little bit of rust in behind and had cracked along its length, I undstiched the spot welds and only had to cut an inch for the flange to come off. So I've gone ahead and seam welded it directly together.

I have also made a start on de-guttering the bulk head, it was looking like crap and seems to be a place where moisture collects so I'm getting rid of it.

null_zps90d6a9f5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've finally finished all the repairs on that inner guard and A-pillar :D

null_zpsda854753.jpg

Fords lip:

null_zpsb09db8bd.jpg

My lip:

null_zps2b40725c.jpg

It will do.

I also spent a bit of time getting the door lined up properly and grinding the back off it to get the panel gap nice. So now I have something to work to for rebuilding the guard.

Thats going to be an absolute mission. I'm going to make it out of thinner steel than I have been using so I can cut and shape it a bit easier. Pretty much have to build the whole lower guard from scratch  :shock:

While I'm writing this, a machinist here at work just delivered the nylon bushings for my quick release bonnet hinges as well, so now I will be able to fit up the bonnet this weekend and have something to line the top of the guard up with.

Starting to come together. That corner has been such a mongrel but I'm glad I cut it up again to do it right.

null_zps5d3fc2ae.jpg

• Like 2

As a little side project I have been working on making some new bonnet hinges.

The original ones suck, the bushing bolts into the hood, then you have to slide the hinge in, and bolt the hinges to the car with the hood in place. I was going to have to make new ones anyway cos I've only got one.

null_zpsc064b406.jpg

So I sorted this lot out

null_zpsfa8323f6.jpg

And now I can bolt the plates in, and then put the hood on with the quick release pins. Easy.

null_zpscabaa068.jpg

So now for the first time in my ownership it has a bonnet

[/url]

null_zpsad1a9997.jpg

null_zpsb16bf44d.jpg

I've got alot of work to do to get the panel gaps how I'd like. But I'll get there.

null_zpsd6ebd783.jpg

So with the bonnet on, I realised that I have never ever seen this car with all the panels on.

So I got a bit carried away and bolted some other bits on just for shits.

null_zps9bc77876.jpg

null_zpsa6cea5c6.jpg

null_zps48610558.jpg

*Shudder*

null_zps926cdeea.jpg

(Shit pic)

So yeah, totally at the same stage as sheepers  :tongue:

EDIT: Ah shit those pics are terrible once they are big. I'll try and remember to take my camera next time!

• Like 1

I started building a new lower guard tonight.

What a shit of a job. Sooo many compounding curves that all fight against each other.

A little bit of trial and error and it's coming along, I've been using a huge old dee-shackle I found as a former to beat the curves into.

No pics yet.

I tossed one of my seats in there and then sat in and made broom broom noises again.

Lee if you are reading this, those seats are the best money I have spent on this car. They bring immediate motivation when times are tough. Cheers!

• Like 3

I had a productive saturday.

IMG_1714_zpsbe783668.jpg

As I mentioned before getting the curves was a prick, so beating it into this dee shackle helped get the right shape

IMG_1715_zps8212e4de.jpg

IMG_1716_zpse26c87a2.jpg

IMG_1718_zps5d601243.jpg

IMG_1723_zpsf858136a.jpg

Old and New:

IMG_1721_zps0d44ed96.jpg

Then i decided to put it down near ride height to see what it looks like:

IMG_1725_zps68730d2d.jpg

IMG_1726_zps26c878e5.jpg

Fucking awesome is how it looks.

IMG_1727_zps973568bc.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

So I have absolutely nothing to report on my anglia  :(

But I haven't abandoned the shed altogether, dad has this 72 mustang convertible that hasn't seen the road in 20 years, it was mum and dads wedding car and then after that they bought it off the guy.

It started off as a bad power steering seal, and while he had that apart might as well fix this, and just cos, might as well fix that too..... you know the story....

20 years, 2 engines, 3 transmissions, 2 sets of brand new front suspension, numerous panels and a conversion from right hand drive to left (yeah you heard right) its my turn to get married and the car HAS to be there.

Its been painted and partially assembled for years, but now the big push is on, the brand new OEM replacement front suspension has just been replaced with all tubular items. The original 302w and C4 has been swapped out for a Boss302 from a 70 mustang and a T56- 6 speed manual.

Lately I've been building the new exhaust for it, hence nothing getting done on my anglia.

Still alot of assembly to do on the muzzy but hopefully it won't take too many late nights to get there. (gotta be finished for 1st march!)

Here is a shit pic of it for reference.

null_zps33d0b15f.jpg

discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/26447-anglia4s-anglia-zetec/page__hl__%2Banglia4%26%2339%3Bs+%2Banglia+%2Bzetec

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have still been working on the convertible lately. 

Been building the exhaust:

EC20CDDD-D489-4A70-986F-BC880A44F990_zps

37FB35EC-F717-4806-A966-23D8BD0EE5A2_zps

And we actually fired the engine (first time its had a running engine in 20 years!) the other night. We had to fault find for ages cos it had no spark, turned out to be a faulty brand new MSD coil  :doubt:

Jist of the story is that its coming together! So I'll be able to get back into my anglia in a couple of months!  :-D

• Like 2

Well...

We ran this up last night, fucking drama. I've learnt race cars are much easier to build as you don't have to deal with all the factory original shite.

It really struggled to start, it would fire up and then die a few seconds after you stop running the starter motor. Eventually through shear perseverance we got it to run :D

It sounds great, nice, smooth and crisp boss rumble.

We ran it for a few minutes (until the thermostat opened... next story) dad turned off the key and the beast kept running!

Turns out it has a fault in the wiring loom somewhere, with the key on, something is pulling the MSD voltage down to 5V! but it has a booster in the starter solenoid which gives the MSD 12v off the battery during starting, so thats why it would die as soon as you let off the starter. Then something else (probably the same fault) is back feeding the MSD off the alternator so it won't shut off...

We've also found out that the heater core is poked, so the car flooded when the thermostat opened... bugger. Thats really dissapointing because its a whole dash out major fucking headache to change it out. Because we are on a tight deadline, we are just going to bypass it for the time being.

Brakes are all bled up, we were hoping to drive it out of the shed last night but looks like that might be a couple of weeks away with the wiring set back.

I've just tacked some dumpy tips onto the exhaust in front of the diff for the moment so we can drive it in and out of the trailer etc to take it to a mates workshop so we can use a 4 poster to do the over-diff section. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So the convertible got finished, I got married and everyone lived happily ever after.

Turns out that exhaust pretty much drags on the ground when you are 4 up in the car (i.e My dad, the bride and her parents...) as they rolled up to the ceremony it was equal parts Boss302 exhaust note and stones banging on the collector haha.

It sounds epic. Can't describe it any better. It sounds like our race car.

Having massive troubles with the clutch cable and with all the panel work it seems the windscreen frame has moved so the conv top doesn't fit well. So its been driven back into the shed and still sits there with the ribbons on it... Will probably revisit it in another few years when my brother decides to get married haha

Anyway now that everyone is living happily ever after I got to do this

4ABC9641-BA97-49EC-B945-A64C3E1AB15B_zps

A0919735-1C63-460E-B06F-FDAF44AE4930_zps

Now I can move it, which means I can work on it  :-)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been trying to get back into working on the anglia for a while now but other things (daily cars, motorbikes, lawnmowers, drill press etc) all keep breaking down on me.

I finally got my drill press sorted and decided my ducati can get fucked and sit in the corner for a while so I'm back into my anglia!

I have wanted to tackle a bit more of the front guard repair just to get it out of the way, it really is a prick of a job.

So I made up some of these buggers as ligning up the three parts of the panel is a nightmare.

DSCN1383-2_zps1edf11a8.jpg

DSCN1372-2_zpsabf057d9.jpg

I made them 2 days ago and they are already on the list of invaluable tools.

I managed to get everything aligned and have tacked the bottom section of the guard on.

The next step is to build the lip which attaches to the A-pillar, then pull it all back off, weld it all up and then try and re-fit again.

DSCN1381-1_zps74b49f69.jpg

DSCN1385-1_zps8566a5e8.jpg

In other news, I have had the email written out to get quotes for laser/water cutting my pedal box parts about 3 times now, every time as I go to send it I think of a better way of doing some part. Nearly there though!

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/26447-anglia4s-anglia-zetec/page-5

• Like 4

I've been working the last couple of evenings and today on building the lip to spot weld back to the A-pillar.

Finally got it all welded today, pretty thrilled with the result.

DSCN1397_zps7e241421.jpg

Panel gaps to the door are about as close as they can get, just rubs in a couple of spots so will wort that out later.

DSCN1404_zps8e0869af.jpg

I ballsed up a little bit and didn't space the top of the guard out enough so its not flush with the door, but that won't be hard to remedy once I've welded it all to the car.

DSCN1402_zpseb4f0893.jpg

Next step will be to tack it to the front section of the guard, then cut most of the way along the top inside edge to re-build the lip to the inner guard and set the panel gaps to the hood (they are enormous at the moment)

DSCN1405_zps351b8e79.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bloody hell, looking back through previous posts, its been over 2 years since I cut that section of guard off to rebuild it! I've nearly fixed that bit, I swear!

I had been thinking about  building the donor car into a trailer for camping trips, or taking inspiration from Bantams teardrop camper, I was going to cut it infront of the windscreen and make it into a caravan.

Upon inspection the other day it is just too rusty to do anything with, so I cut off the straight rust free bits for repair panels when the inevitable happens to the orange race car, and scrapped the rest.

Good fun.

F553E1F0-D0F5-4B9C-B747-67A9163FA45F_zps

F4EA4301-522C-45AF-B841-39345EA8F963_zps

C1987F0B-71FC-4B1F-8217-9A18E29785B5_zps

8280D96A-92DB-48CA-83C7-2FB55B260516_zps

63252780-EE47-4A3F-BFDF-0359716418B4_zps

87C2FAFA-6EDE-4489-B8AB-ECB626D26EAE_zps

3CF917F2-959B-4F89-AB2A-E3EEC53E71F2_zps

34BF7AAC-B12B-4E5B-825E-EE7723282B45_zps

I did feel quite bad

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've finally finished welding my front left guard! Its all fixed!

But I failed and took no photos.

However, since then I decided to pick a panel at a time then finish it.

So I filled all the holes, removed all the brackets, cable runs and shit and smoothed out the left inner guard. Found more rust haha, but fixed that too. Real quick, gotta keep this shit up.

IMG_1430_zps41743c59.jpg

Then decided to re-do the repair to the bulkhead now that I have a decent patch panel.

IMG_1437_zps73c391c4.jpg

Sorted, I also took off the weatherstrip rail along there, rust behind it on the left hand side there, fixed that too. On a roll!

Having conquered the left inner guard and then the bulk head, I thought I'd take on the firewall. So I kept on cutting out the gutter and welding as I went to smooth the join, don't have a photo of that finished though either.

IMG_1440_zps343bf014.jpg

Then tackled this mess since I won't be firewall mounting my master cylinders.

IMG_1443_zps7c6b1748.jpg

IMG_1444_zpsd46a0eab.jpg

Again, no finished pics haha.

Thats where I got to when I had to head back to work anyway. Pretty stoked.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've got quite a bit of time off work at the moment so I've been getting stuck in to my box.

I bought Susprog3d to help me pick my suspension points for the new front design. I had got fairly close with other methods but have now firmed up the chassis points and most of the cross-member design.

AngliaSusprog3d_zpsf8bfe290.jpg

I've got major hassles at the moment though trying to figure out where to put the steering rack.

I seem to have 3 options:

-If I mount it where I had originally planned (on the front of my cross-member below the engine) then I need to make ~100mm long extensions to lower the tie-rod ends off the steering arm.

Option1_zps74aef515.png

-If I avoid using the extensions and put the rack at optimum height, I have to move it in front of the crank pulley which is fine for bump steer but puts the ackerman out the ass and just looks wrong. So wrong. (Plan view shown below)

Option2_zpsd7cc73cb.jpg

-I could put the rack in the absolute optimum position and move the engine back ~125mm giving me brilliant steering and even better weight distribution. But I'd have to move the firewall back equally as far and i really didn't want to do that.

Any other ideas? I'm stuck. ---> //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=26447

I also finished up the pedal box design a while ago and have been waiting for a good opportunity to get it all laser cut.

pedalbox_zps7b665414.png

However, the oil price has crashed and as a consequence I'm effectively out of work so no laser cutting is happening any time soon. 

I've had to add a new thought process to all the work I'm doing on this car, "What would Alex do?". 

Bringing out my inner Scotsman I fired up my grinder and drill press and got to work.

I now have some of a gas pedal and this afternoon I'll go make some more :)

E6E9FD0C-7DBB-4553-9EBC-DB28F8B4F5A2_zps

516D2CB9-695B-4BF5-A7FD-FAD7E626B071_zps

• Like 3

Its barely even the afternoon yet!

9D235021-0615-468B-B689-F7BC83EC0072_zps

One industrial strength go pedal. Super strong so it doesn't bend when you are trying to access power that isn't actually there.

I might "Add lightness" later and drill some more holes.

• Like 2