anhonyb's 72 HC viva

anhonyb

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21162 DISCUSSION

almost a year ago i picked up this vauxhall viva cheap as chips on trademe

image0142ac.jpg

you may notice the paints a bit dodgy and that inst an illusion it actually looks like a block of wood in real life too

86890280full.jpg

mmmm red

we went and picked it up and towed it back got it in the garage, the previous owner said he had it for a year and hadn't got it running.

4b9d291eee.jpg

But all that it needed was a new wire to the coil and it started on the 3rd attempt that was surprisingly easy

then done nothing for ages just random little things that needed doing and i got some nice rostyles powder coated and repainted

4f2336885d.jpg

i really need to lower this, looks a tad high

then once again nothing happened for a long time because of house moving and life stuff till then one day the engine died. i got photos of removing that ill do it in another post

I got a replacement engine to get it back on the road, I don't know if I want stay with 1256cc its pretty gutless but it'l have to do for now

newev.jpg

image026vd.jpg

thermostat housing is all eaten away so ill use the one from my stuffed engine and also the rocker cover is better on the other engine

image025v.jpg

its a bit dirty but hopefully not permanent so i wont bother cleaning it and the engine bay before i put it in

at least i got a mint radiator with it and hoses and also a new clutch plate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I bought a compressor and painting stuff the other day cos im poor and gonna paint my car myself. I've done a few practices on my boot lid. first time i painted it black and it was shit as, all rough and dull so i tried again with white glossy paint and this was result

streaky.jpg

that was after first coat and streaky as and after a few more coats this was the result

bootu.jpg

it was alot smoother than the black i did but still doesnt come up high gloss like it says on tin need some tips for painting i think

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21162 help me out with painting! discussion here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no pics, but a small update on the primerd viva

Interior has been put back together and all the wiring that needs to be done is done

getting engine this sunday, so ill just put that in and wof!

leaving it unpainted for now because i cant afford paint so will be primered till i get some cheap paint

plans to sell me ford laser..lol and use this as daily driver

• 3 months later...

a small update:

lowered it a bit more

re primed it

painted it metallic grey yesterday hasn't had clear coat or polish yet

might buy carpets for it

probably up for sale also.. maybe some interest?

anyways heres a photo of current state

onekm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

magnum suspension restoration is underway

I've stripped it all down and painted the main components

I'm just painting it with left over paint I've got so it looks like its gonna be black and blue and anything not shown in the photos will be white

diff will be black.

th.82bcfacd2d.jpg

th.6235bf0994.jpg

I have got most new nolathane bushes for it still looking for sway bar ones though, new ball joints upper and lower, new wheel bearings front and back new brake pads

for the front and cant find shoes for the rear so i might look into getting the old ones re bonded. I'm on the look out for front and rear shocks and springs

Does anyone know a good place to get nuts and bolts and washes etc gold passivated, I rung a place called acme platers in onehunga and they said it would be about $30 for an ice cream container full of stuff as long as they dont need to hang it

engine update:

The dohc vauxhall 1800 is gonna take a while longer to get than expected so I've got this lined up while I wait, its nothing special just had new gaskets, oil and water pumps and ignition to keep it going, I think he said the heads been rebuilt also.

th.deacbe2783.jpg

th.f4c4d01849.jpg

and a video of it on its first fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMB0jPIxJc

its costing me $600 mainly getting it because it comes with a freshly rebuilt w50 toyota 5 speed with modified vauxhall bellhousing, crossmember, driveshaft with toyota yoke and a pedalbox and cable pretty much everything i need to convert to 5 speed