Cul8r's Isuzu DOHC Vauxhall Chevette

CUL8R

Mk 4 - well this is number 4 chevette - first sedan, and in total my 7th 'T' Car..

Well About time I posted up some photos..

4878_1039877811947_1675610856_79448.jpg

Chevette, drooling oil, well more like raining but anyway...

4878_1039878371961_1675610856_79450.jpg

Plans... Lets wait and see how it pans out..

On the hunt for a pair of Porsche Highback bucket seats - anywhere!

• 2 months later...

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

So after lugging around this diff for around 1 & 1/2 months in the back of the wagon (how many of you can put a diff in the back of your car?) After stumbling awake at 3pm (was awake for 23 hours thanks to the girlfriend :lol: ), I decided pull it out and put it in..

IMG_0162.jpg

Full nolathanes throughout, cheers to Prozac our friendly parts supplier, also for tig'n up the diff hat and giving it a lick of paint! I made new gaskets for it and assembled, also the ZZ/T diff was missing the input shaft, so I bought a complete torque tube and swapped it over..

IMG_0164.jpg

Whats so special about this diff? well look closer and you see factory discs! Also must mention thanks to the old man, lent him the wagon (with diff in it, whilst I took a car trailer back for him) and he degreased and waterblasted the diff!

IMG_0163.jpg

After putting the diff in, I had to make some small adjustments, mainly a extention of the brake hose, and redrilling the torque tube mounts around 15mm each side further inward

• Thanks 1

IMG_0165.jpg

Put my koni's in along with springs, sat quite nicely, then my friendly neighbourhood bogan (aka Bart) pushed it a bit further up the street, and into his driveway where I replaced the whole front end with nolathane once again, new balljoints, tierod ends etc etc.. Also bolted on the 13x7 Rostyles onto the 230mm piazza front discs..

Dragged it back down the street after having to put the bikkies back on the rear - had 3mm between rear guard and tire with the 13x8's (unlipped) before we bled the brakes, after having some load on the car, it settled onto the tire, so slight change of plans in the rear spring department.. (current rears are just uncaptive, ideally need 1-2 more coil winds to be captive)

Anyone with a keen eye may spot a couple of other differences, stainless aerial, and engelmann mirrors (came with the konis from germany) And a front spook I made up from a EP81 starlet

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Discuss: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20250

Also I can confirm that a piazza front sway bar does not fit - is around 20mm either side too wide, so at the moment I've just got the chevette one in - may go uprated when time/funds allow

Chevette diff minus torque tube weighed a measly 53kg! half the exhaust broke off too (made the diff swap easier) so I took that with me to the scrap man for a total of 59kg, and profit of $8.70! paid for subway for lunch if nothing else!

Also clearance to the front spook/crossmember is just under the height of a redbull 250ml can

• 4 months later...

Bout time I updated! Well engine, box in - many thanks to Bart, Excuse the wiring, kinda decided against the stock manifold & injection... (after having it 2/3's in..)

IMG_0269.jpg

See the extractors here and the modified engine mount Bart & I came up with, and more sweet arc welding from his old man. Bought some crackel paint off Prozac (along with a heap more parts & stuff) , paint stripped it, then repainted the cam cover..

IMG_0270.jpg

Gearbox cross member , using original gearbox rubber. Just need to have plates for ontop of the floor and then thats done..

IMG_0271.jpg

Bought these sweet porsche 911 recaros awhile back, degreased, fabric softened at work, in work time :lol: They're leather, recon it'd be worth buying some nugget and cleaning them up that way? trying to have a period highback look - dont want recaro fishnets or anything...

IMG_0216.jpg

Wouldnt believe it unless you saw it yourself, but the chevette rails bolted straight onto the rear porsche seat mounts, the fronts were about 5mm diagonally out.. Drivers seat however had alot more work involved due to the electric adjusters..

IMG_0217.jpg

Only really means anything to a chevette owner, but I removed the clock, mounted a amp guage, and decided I didnt like the dowel that was left from the clock, so I vacuum moulded a new lense up..

IMG_0267.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_0278.jpg

Inline filler neck, hiace top hose, Laser bottom hose, to volvo 240 radiator, with outlets swapped over..

IMG_0277.jpg

Solex bonnet pins, front end painted after I'd dropped the block on the front panel, modified bonnet - After a fibreglass HSR bonnet if anyone is willing to sell ? (Front painted like a Kadett with the pinstripes)

IMG_0276.jpg

Porsche 911 seats mounted, sliding properly. OMP wheel.. And a sweet badge I havent decided where to put it yet..

IMG_0275.jpg

Fuel Pump mounted, filter mounted. Low pressure Facet pump - Can be found cheap/free in Subaru Leones.. (exactly the same as the aftermarket facet pumps on trademe)

IMG_0273.jpg

Oh yea these... 40mm IDF's, rekitted, new throttle shafts & bearings, Trumpets just sitting on whilst bubblebath makes up the manifold

Also , driveshaft finally in, removed old fuel line, connect new fuel line up to pump setup, just the engine bay side to do now..

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So had the bottom pulley ribs machined off and adapter made to fit Gilmer pully..

IMG_0491.jpg

Chromed the intakes

IMG_0489.jpg

Removed the old bonnet....

IMG_0485.jpg

Trial fit of new bonnet

IMG_0486.jpg

Big big thank you to Moosh for fibreglassing up holes & recess for slam panel - Great guy to talk to. Thanks to Dave from Ireland & Alex (yoeddynz) for bringing the bonnet down!

Just got to sand & prep when some more shops open up...

Discuss : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20250&p=519953#p519953

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So moosh moulded a parcel tray/speaker pods up awhile ago for gemini's/chevette's. Took it into Wayne Patrick Auto Trimmers, who did a fantastic job covering it, went in for a 5min chat, left 40min later in work time. Races Pre65's and into his vauxhalls. Actually a real GC!

DSC00567.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fitted some 20mm spacers to even the track up, makes the wheels quite flush. Happy as because with the wheels being 4 spoke as such, by fitting the spacers the original studs sit within the rostyles 4 spokes so dont need to be cut down!

IMG_0531.jpg

Away being wired up at the moment...

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So been a long time no updates.

Got the car running with the help of Pete (Valiant) about 10 months ago, then spent the next 3 nights doing the full exhaust system.. On the friday I'd worked from 7.30 - 5.30 without any meal breaks flat stick at my old job. Decided I'd come home at the end of it and finish off the exhaust. Pete came around at 10.30 just as I was finishing up and convinced me I needed to take the car for a quick run - I was initially against it due to tiredness. Forgetting that way back when I first put the diff it the diff hat had had a small pin hole leak in it, which Zac had tig'd up, but then I'd never filled it with fresh oil afterward, which is fine when it'd only been pushed down the street to Barts or off a trailer into a garage..Diff locked solid about 2km into the test drive, at about 90kph...

Pulled the old diff out, and then pulled it to pieces...
427898_3346080345569_202751422_n.jpg
I would say going by the broken bearings floating about, that the pinion bearing was starved of oil, which then ceased, as a result locked the pinion gear solid, but with the rotational force of the crown wheel, then spat the pinion clean in half and out the bottom of the carrier housing.
408436_3346079785555_82130256_n.jpg

Wind the clock forward to present...
So the ZZ/R PF60 LSD diff arrived from japan through Ewan @ Hayatonka (very helpful and easy to deal with) finally. Got it home, sat for a couple of weeks till I got enthused enough to do something..

252550_3328134016922_789330903_n.jpg
218017_3346226429221_2056815834_n.jpg

Sent away a pile of bolts, brackets etc to be plated by one Mr Greg Topp!
487442_3353696735974_2080693528_a.jpg
Came back and I'd assembled the diff with new bushes, painted it with hammerite, swapped calipers, discs, torque tube, brake lines etc all over. Also took the opportunity while the diff was out to underseal the rear guards completely..
241531_3361146002201_486727478_o.jpg

• 7 months later...
Well been kinda busy with the house. Cleaned up the crossmember etc.. 

Changed a few things on the motor, whilst it was out, I was really disliking the VHT black paint that had flaked off badly. So sent the Headers into be HPC Coated.. Came up rather nicely indeed I think!

306831_4358354571792_1269287660_n_zpsde9

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
So dropped the Chevette into Mr.Mk1 and he repaired the chassis rail/tow point and Valence for me etch primered it up - I just need to paint it. 

1510754_10200648054038525_1513654627_n_z

Gave the garage a tidy before putting it back... 2x Spare Twincams, ZZ/R discs, axles, sway bars and misc parts

1510796_10200648046678341_2133283870_n_z

Start the reassembly soon!

• Like 3