Vintage Grumble's 1984 Toyota Corolla AE86

Discussionary activity regarding the following media can be located here: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=25550

My project car is a 1984 NZ New AE86 Levin, i've had it since Jan 07. I'm slowly collecting the missing parts and tidying it up.

Had it dyno'd a while back, the old motor made 151hp (113kw) atw's, my new motor made just on 185hp (137kw) atw's

Blue line is new motor, Red line is the old motor.

img1803es3.jpg

Engine:

Blue top big port head (ported + polished + 3 angle valve grind)
Unknown cams?
Adjustable cam gears
TRD Group A valve springs
365cc 4agze injectors
Small port red top block
Silver top 20V crank/con rods
Wiseco forged/coated pistons (around 12.5 : 1 comp ratio)
Silver top 20V ITB's on Techno toy tuning manifold
Link ECU
4 - 1 headers, 2 1/4 inch under diff exhaust
Super mega extra external oil drains of tumekeness

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more shit:

p1020364zn2.jpg

(I'd just like to point out that the duvet under the coilover's aint mine, is a random one I found laying about, and Im not sure what the stain's on it are??)

Crappy pics of car with new rims:

p1020352ak0.jpg

p1020357zu5.jpg

MORE random photo's:

dsc01161pm8.jpg

dsc01182ob9.jpg

Got the street fins and semi slicks for that 80's JDM race look (just need 1 foot more dish and TRD N2 flares)

p1020372sp4.jpg

Old and new struts

p1020382lf9.jpg

img1950ly7.jpg

King stars, the King/stars of tyres.

Ive been working on a cold air box for a little while, I wanted to get some fresh air into the engine, and also get rid of the filter socks as they have bugger all surface area. Just finished the intake, have not had time to make the partition yet, which will box off the filter from the engine bay.

P1020720.jpg

P1020721.jpg

P1020728.jpg

P1020729.jpg

P1020735.jpg

P1020733.jpg

DSC08075.jpg

DSC08085.jpg

DSC08090.jpg

Better fucking work, took ages to make. Be mean with partition in there. Only down side is that the induction roar is now quiet as, can hear what the exhaust sounds like/leaks sound like.

• Like 2

Well went around four of the better panel and paint shops here in Whakatane, to get rust and dents taken out, get full respray including engine bay and shit, and get bumpers/side skirts cleaned up, even with me pulling car to bits and giving them a rolling shell, is gonna set me back near on $5G ......... :shock: WHOE SHIT I SAID. Was expecting about $3G, the paint side of it costs a lot more then I realised. Guess thats what ya gotta pay to get a decent job tho. So anyone wanna buy a liteace and a drum kit? :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took the car to the panel beater 3 weeks ago, droped in for a nose on my way home from work to see how it was going, and turns out he hasent even started. He then tells me he cant do the work on my car as his house has sold and hes moving up north..... stink ow. So now have to go tow it home and organize another panel beater. So its going to be off the road even longer :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, got car back from the panel beater, they did a decentish job, and only took them 6 days. Right door was to f'ed to fix, so took down back up door, they took the rust out of that, but now have to take car back for them to blend it in. Have started the sand down. Also found a dude to come paint it in my shed, so once sandings done, will convert shed into shit house spray booth. Doing the paint at home should save me $1500, which is good, as i just purchased this off trademe,

106973360_full.jpg

Good ol TRD 2 way LSD!!!

Will rebuild it with my 4.6 CW&P, new bearings and seals, slap it in, and yay! After the OS track day I realised how crazily huge the difference in handling is without a LSD, not only was powering out of corners wobbly/slippery and gay, but also when braking hard it was shit loads more unstable. Also did a Gymkhana in it and it sucked, couldnt get the rear sliding, and booting it just made it understeer like a slut. So LSD = Good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, this has been off the road/in my shed for two years as of about now. I did a little work on it today, first time i've touched it in about 4/6 months, so to celebrate I thought i'd post up some lame pictures of where it no longer has rust.

It not longer has rust here,

DSC01395.jpg

Here,

DSC01396.jpg

Here,

DSC01398.jpg

Here,

DSC01399.jpg

Here,

DSC01400.jpg

Here,

DSC01401.jpg

Here,

DSC01403.jpg

Here,

DSC01404.jpg

Here,

DSC01405.jpg

Here,

DSC01406.jpg

Here,

DSC01408.jpg

And it never had rust here, but this section has been replaced after a crash, and was a #%@* of a %$#@$ whore's %*#@ goat, to get back to the rite shape.

DSC01397.jpg

I hope to make good progress on this in the coming months, as I now have the $$ to have it painted, due to selling my motorbike. But I am a lazy cunt, so who knows.

Regards, VG.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Well, I just ordered a set of these TE37V knock offs,

187770163_full.jpg

And being in a silly mood, I order 15x9's all round :?

Will be interesting to see if I can fit them under the factory guards, lols, from my measurements they will stick out 1/2 an inch from the outside of the guards all round.

Tyre stretch legallities are the only thing that worry me now, as I will most likely have to run 205's, and the minimum for a 9 is like a 235? But i've not heard of anyone having problems with this yet?

The before mentioned wheels showed up today, I've had a good look over them all, and they seem to be sweet as, the casting/machining/paint all looks to be as good as any other wheel i've seen, so visually I cant fault them. They come with "RAYS TE37V" stickers on them which made me lol, whipped the stickers off asap.

Tried them on the 86, and they fit fucking acely (will check again once I get a tyre on one, but am 99.99% sure they will be sweet) can go full lock without them getting close to anything, and thanks to the 7mm spacers on the front (to clear the brakes) they clear the struts by a good 10mm. The outside of the rim sits about 12mm from the outside of the guard as I concluded they would, so with a touch of stretch/a tiny bit more guard rolling they should be sweet as a button.

So basically i'm very happy with my cheap ass wheels! :D

Due to my tiny shed, heres some crappy, fairly pointless pictures,

DSC01955.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01957.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

Regards, VG.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had a set of 205 50 15 Nankang NS2's fitted to the new rims, and i'm very happy with how they look, just a nice amount of stretch and not too baloonish IMO.

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

The tyres/rims also seem to fit the car perfectly, I dont think i'll have to flare the arches at all. I just have to cut the seam in the back of the front arches off, and weld it up, as the tyres hit near full lock.

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02188.jpg

Just a wee bit lower (backs sitting high due to being stripped), and i'll be happy as, looks just how I wanted it too! :D

Regards, VG.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Rite, so took my car to the painters a few weeks back, they finished painting, and got me to come down for a geeze, to see if I was happy with the finish off the gun, which I kinda wasnt, so got them to buff it up. Part way through the buff fest, the painter put the car out side to get a motorhome in the shop, and while it was out the back a "whirlwind" poped on through and blew a bumper into the back of the car, and pulling the drivers door open (no check straps) SOOOO the painter had to repair and repaint the drivers door and back quarter. I picked the car up on Friday, and TBH im not 100% happy with it, tho i've looked at it a few times over the weekend and things are annoying me less and less. It sorta looks like the guy put the paint on too thick, and its made the whole car kinda wavey looking? Tho you can only see this if you look down the side. Theres also a few spots where he didnt manage to buff out the slight orange peel effect, a run in the clear coat down the back (I guess this could be lightly sanded and buffed out?) and two spots on the drivers door shut where they let the door close and chip the paint. I've never had a car resprayed before, and i'm pretty fussy, but i'm not real sure if I should complain or not? I tried to get pics of the paint, but its pretty much impossible to get a pic of the waveyness and the run, but the chips in the door shut shows up.

DSC02691_zps988ba948.jpg

DSC02684_zps39b33262.jpg

DSC02690_zpsd0007928.jpg

^ Hard to see, but theres a pretty big run there.

DSC02685_zpsdc0e1df9.jpg

DSC02686_zpsb2b3ca78.jpg

^ The chips dont look bad, but they stick out like dogs balls IRL, and they are in the drivers opening (but can be seen when the doors shut) so will see them everytime I get in it.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? I may just tell them im not happy with the run and chips and see what they say? They are pretty good guys, and did give me $500 off for all the fucking about, but still, unsure I want to put up with the boo boos for another 10 years/untill it rusts again.

WELL THEN, I just talked to the painter, and he was very good about it, I told him about the chips/run/drivers door looking funny (they sprayed it off the car after it was repaired due to wind attack) and there still being a bit of a dent in the back gaurd (also from the wind attack) and he said he would sort it all out, as he stands by his work and so on. He said once it was all together, (incase I do any damage while putting it back together) to bring it back, and he'd sort it out. FUCKING SWEET. Its still going to have a couple of small dents I missed in it, and the paint is a little wavey, but hell, I can live with that, it aint no show car.

Yay!

Now, to scrub the near on four years worth of shed scum off every single interior and exterior piece, and re-ass-emble.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...