generator output...what should i be getting?

Beaver

hey all.

what sort of voltage should i be getting out of a generator? at the mo i get around 1v at idle, and when reved, goes up to about 7-8 when you give it stink. im only getting 12.5ish volts across the battery at idle. is this normal? or should it be like an alternator where i should be getting 13-14v across the battery?

cheers

when all connected but not going its 12.6ish, when idling its 12.5ish, cant remember what is was giving it gas. i just thought the generator would be putting more voltage out but ive never had a car with one before so yeh, im likely wrong haha

that sounds like the logical thing...

Getting less V when going doesnt sound right... that means it putting some sort of load on it. Whats the batt with genny not connected but car at idle?

i dont have the car with me but ill get the values asap. but yeh i found it weird the voltage dropped at the battery when running....checked straight off the generator and it was still 1v idling then increasing with revs, but at average engine speed id say its only putting out 4-5v

There's a cut off relay in the reg box. When the gen light is on, the generator isn't connected to the battery. It only operates when the gen voltage is higher then the battery.

Steve

hmm that makes sense now....as the gen light comes on at idle...cheers