lowlancer

Apologies for weak-ass photos

sapporofront.jpg

sappororear.jpg

dsc0001y.jpg

dsc0005vkr.jpg

dsc0009v.jpg

dsc0017qo.jpg

Plans? Fuck knows. Just want it low, quick enough and legal. Get current non-turbo 4G63 going and get a WOF

4G63, either DOHC N/A, or more likely, SOHC turbo for lack of certification need. Wind up boost a little,use some Jaycar kits,

Get spare locker diff or LSD if I can find one cheap (unlikely).

Adjustables for the front, maybe in rear too if I can be fucked, maybe just lower rate springs. Want it low as they look ONE MILLION PERCENT BETTER WHEN LOW

Clean up rust on front guards and RHS sill, but keep it rugged, not too fussed

Sticker her up

Rip out all interior I can, decent fixed back for race/manji day

Get headlight wipers working

Nardi wheel, or something nice

Long ass shifter with novelty knob

Some sweet rims for the front

Some other shit probably

Oh, and not fail miserably would be tight

Better photos whenever I'm next in vicinity of it. Cheers to Tank for sussing storage and being a cool cunt/helping me push it

• 2 weeks later...

Poos photos again. Where it lives is quite cramped I'm afraid, but it is very dry and warm, so it's alright really. Bit of a lame update, just scratching around to see how bad the rust is at this stage. A bit there, but nothing killer.

Right, 56k blows :cry:

HAI

dscf0079k.jpg

dscf0101wra.jpg

Wanted guards off to survey damage of rust. Front right came off okay. Knew it was pretty hammered, but was glad to see nothing too yuck behind it, short of what's shown. Will whip guards in for a quote this week, to a fella who bought that mint red Laurel of 028's. Apparently does good work/cashies

dscf0084l.jpg

dscf0085c.jpg

This rust is right behind the internal wheel arch, and goes through to the engine bay, just so you can figure out where based on a crap photo

dscf0089l.jpg

Figured it would be wise to have a squiz under the battery tray as it looked a bit crusty

dscf0091h.jpg

OH HAI I HOLDS WATER LOL

dscf0092k.jpg

Fuck knows what it's for, as there are two other water tanks in the engine bay. It's not hooked to the radiator or overflow, and I couldn't be fucked figuring it out tbh.

As I'm stupid, I didn't take my socket set with me, and thus couldn't take it out anyway. One for next time, but it all looks okay down there from my investigations. Big relief, as I was expecting it to be bad

Speaking of bad, time we moved on to the Front left guard eh? I knew there was gonna be some worries here, as I put my finger straight through it when I picked her up. I was just hoping the sill wasn't going to be bad. Anyway, one of the bolts holding the guard on the sill was stuck as fuck, and I didn't want to start spraying CRC around. One for next time. However, it soon became obvious some dodginess had gone down, as this...

dscf0095.jpg

came out of here...

dscf0099rub.jpg

Not good. I can't tell if it's there due to the hole in the guard, due to a mean dent/smash in the sill, or due to holes in both guard and sill. Latter is unlikely as there appears to be slightly crusty sill in there. No biggy anyway, cut it and shut it etc

In closing, my badass light wipers that I plan on making work, and probably put some sweet flashing LEDs on/nah

dscf0081j.jpg

I also unbolted one seat, which was fucking horrid without sockets, but I ate some dodgy chicken for lunch and was feeling weird as christ, so bailed, lawlz

I purchased a vice, a decent little torch, new stainless steel screwdrivers and some 2AWG (read: fat) cable for battery/chassis earth from work today, and next week will look to start procuring some other bits and shits, such as fuel pump, surge tank, more cable etc etc. Trying to save for an engine now, which is tricky as I also need to save for buying my brothers Capella wagon off him in two months, so this will likely get a cash injection once I get that and then sell the Shuttle end of August.

Really, I need to move out of home and get my own place with a nice garage for this, but then I'd have no money for it. So the plan is to essentially buy everything I need for it, fit what I can (little stuff) now, store it all together as I also have some shelf space, then when I move out next year, take it all with me and stick it together. In the meantime, it's quite snug and dry.

/end

Discussion of noted rusty babe

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18543&start=40

Another dumb update. Should have taken "before" photos, but oh well.

Took starter, inlet manifold, carb and dizzy off to give them a clean and fit some fresh bits, as well as a test for the starter.

As a note, water blasters rule for cleaning anything. Mine dominated the really built up crap on the starter and inlet manifold

Starter came up well, took ages to clean. Was really gunked up. Warmed it up with a hair dryer, hit it with degreaser, let it sit for a few minutes, then smashed it with waterblaster

dscf00782.jpg

Manifold was straight forward, think I'll hit it with some decent paint, along with thermo housing.

I took the carb to bits and cleaned it by hand. Blew out the jets, checked all the linkages, and gave them a squirt of WD40. Seems to be happy.

dscf00802.jpg

Found my valve cover :mrgreen:

This was seemingly corroded, so I soaked it in degreaser, then hit it with some steel wool. Worked quite well. More degreaser, then a go with the water blaster got it looking prim. Will paint it Thursday I think, just good old black

dscf00842.jpg

Also bought a new dizzy cap and rotor for the dizzy. The leads are 10mm items, so I'll keep them as they seem to be sweet.

On Thursday I'm gonna go whip the head off hopefully, see if it needs a skim, then maybe remove casting marks with die grinder. What stone/tip should I use, and where do I get them from?

A good mate works at Repco so I'm going to get new belts and gaskets from him as i know he'll get the right ones, and Prozac sussed me a timing cover, shot boe!

Semi-decent update

Slammed some paint on manifold. Is fuel/heat etc resistant. Looks balls in photo, is actually alright

dscf0080.jpg

So the 4G63 had a "blown head gasket". Whipped head off, and no wonder. The back four head bolts were way too easy to undo, clearly not torqued up right. The gasket itself looked to be fine in terms of splits and breaks :rolleyes:

Bores looks good, though this pic is quite average. Can see honing which is usually a good sign, and no scoring which is a relief.

dscf0080.jpg

Figure I may as well give the ports a tidy up while it's out. Basically just want to remove the casting marks, which you can see quite clearly here, and maybe look at where the airflow hits after it passes the valve. I actually really like this picture.

dscf0096e.jpg

Further to the rust issues on the front left guard, I managed to get one more cunty bolt out today, and pull the guard away from the sill. The fucking chrome trim literally fell off, along with a hunk of the guard. Yeah, pretty fucked :doubt:

However, sill looks solid enough, if crusty. Will slam it with angle grinder at home when it's driveable and rust-proof it

dscf0083.jpg

dscf0090.jpg

Not good :?

dscf0084b.jpg

dscf0086.jpg

Also whipped out the tank for the headlight wipers to have a good perve for rust from battery. Again, a wee bit crusty but nothing major. I really need to strip all this back and treat it and paint it, but that'll have to wait. A squirt of fish oil should help for now

dscf0098o.jpg

Decided to take radiator out, due to BHG. I was also concerned at possibility of rust underneath, as the Celeste had a bit there. Luckily it was all clear, if a bit yuck. (ongoing theme of this car).

dscf0102r.jpg

Radiator looks mint. No bent fins of note, cap looks new also, and good coloured water came out. Fucking choice. Will flush it out and check for leaks with my trusty waterblaster, as I should be able to get some pressure up with it

dscf0103i.jpg

Will take camgear off this weekend, then take head in to be checked next week with luck. Getting a full headset, so will look at replacing everything I can eg: stem seals, gaskets. Assume I only lap valves if they're new and need to be matched to the head?

Took fuel pump off, so will clean that up too, and get some new fuel hose and filter. Luckily the little bleed valve is still there (Almost always fall out on these fuel pumps) so I can hook it up to a small holder to stop oil spewing all over the engine bay

Also keen to take dizzy to bits and clean it up, but points scare me so likely I won't :mrgreen: We'll see. I've replaced the condensor, rotor and cap, so I should be okay.

Picked up some fucking expensive 2AWG cable lugs today for my chassis-block lead. $15 for two, so will buy a small blow torch and heat shrink from work and crack on making those leads up this weekend.

I've given myself till the end of June to get this running, so I can take it for an exhaust. I'm really keen to get it a WOF as soon as, keen for a cool weekend car

Edit: I took a ball-load of pics, but I'm on 56k atm till tomorrow.

Slow week for the Sapporo. Have to build a 1:50 scale model of a restaurant/office block for an assignment so been mad busy.

Have had o do a couple things, including spend money

Cleaned up and blew out fuel pump

dscf0097y.jpg

Here's the HG and where it blew I reckon

dscf0100t.jpg

Took to head to bits and water blasted it. Also took valve stem seals off :P

dscf0102.jpg

dscf0101.jpg

One weird and possibly worrying aspect is this welding

dscf0103.jpg

As it touches on the cam lobe seat

dscf0104.jpg

I figure it's been sweet thusfar, I'll slam it in and see what happens

Picked up some belts and shit. Just gotta go pickup the gasket kit and I'll be almost ready. Just need the head to be checked for trueness

dscf0106.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gayness updates. Need a new SOHC head fo reals, so gizz one. Can be bare as fuck, just not rooted

Shroud before

dscf0001p.jpg w800.png

After

dscf00022.jpg w800.png

Radiator before

dscf0003wmt.jpg w800.png

After

dscf00042.jpg w600.png

Cam cover before

dscf0004gjj.jpg w800.png

After

dscf00012.jpg w800.png

This is why you should think before doing something. I didn't have thinners so used turps, which kinda worked, but I thinned it wayyyyyy too much and got runs. The end coatings were too thin also. Oh well, I hate painting. Will likely redo the cam cover at some stage. The radiator and shroud I barely even cleaned, god I hate painting.

At least I didnt get messy for once

Have procured all bits bar valve stem seals and battery to get it going, and I also need a fresh head as mentioned.

Picked these up yesterday, good ol trademe. Will likely need a touch of work to fit, hopefully nothing huge. Obviously need a flick of paint or similar.

98113454full.jpg

Popped down to see a mate at Repco today and ordered in the last parts I need, namely valve stem seals and top radiator hose.

Also after a 32/36 weber if anyone has one lying around they wanna sell. Doesn't need to be mint as I'll rebuild it. Send me a pm or chuck it in discussion thread plz

• 1 month later...

Been hopeless with this thing. Worked all holidays and am doing 12 hour minimum days at tec already so time is slim as usual.

Have picked up a 32/36 DGAV for cheap that I'm going to clean up eventually. Meh, slight performance increase I suppose

Paid her a visit on Saturday for a couple hours.

Starter back on with freshly made leads.

dscf0061p.jpg

Got front left wing off and was greeted with this. Fortunately it'll be covered by the wing, fucked if I'm fixing it

dscf0067m.jpg

Here's the sill under the wong. Fairly crusty, but a brush and some paint and it'll be fine, and again, covered by the wing anyway :mrgreen:

dscf0068.jpg

Pretty darn rooted. Tank reckons he has a mate that can rustle something up for me I hope. Ca$hies hard

dscf0074.jpg

As she sits now. God I want some cute wheels and lush suspension featuring slammed

dscf0077h.jpg

Check the swish daily, it even has a rusty pod filter. And MX fucking 6 wheels

dscf0080q.jpg

God my updates are ghey