Manda's 1970 Ford Cortina GTE

Manda

Had it for a month now. Been to Beach Hop and All Ford Day. Pretty Tidy but could do with a little work to it.

Has minor rust. Only one patch that wont pass next warrent with.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18033 <<< Discussion

Some of you will have seen this first pic already...

beachhop068.jpg

Engine bay could do with a clean

Photobucket4.jpg

No water, No heaters

Photobucket5.jpg

Bit rusty like this on both sides

Photobucket6.jpg

Needs fixing before next warrent

Photobucket2.jpg

A kiwi inginuity fix

Photobucket3.jpg

I found out these werent stuck down properly when I was buffing it...

Photobucket9.jpg

Photobucket8.jpg

Photobucket7.jpg

Body pretty straight

Photobucket23.jpg

Rust on mud guards both sides. Not urgent though

Photobucket13.jpg

New ones being posted tomorrow :)

Photobucket12.jpg

Needs some new rubbers and chrome, front and back

Photobucket11.jpg

Photobucket21.jpg

Needs investigating...

Photobucket10.jpg

An expensive fix

Photobucket14.jpg

Choke not connected but hasnt been a problem yet. Going to replace parcel tray, make my own. Also looking at replacing pedals

Photobucket15.jpg

Anyone got a light cover?

Photobucket19.jpg

Anyone got the plastic pieces for under these handles?

Photobucket20.jpg

Upholstery needs repairs. Looking into making the seats 2 tone

Photobucket17.jpg

Photobucket.jpg

Photobucket22.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

New Wing mirrors arrived a couple days ago. Got them fitted today. Didnt realise they had an amber glow ring on them when i bought them so still need to connect that up. So stoked with them. They look sooo much better.

Started wiring up a tester amp and sub. Checking that the hand-me-downs work ok before i splash out.

I blew my exhaust manifold the other day. Went to put new gaskets on and found there was one missing and also a stud missing too.

jhk001.jpg

New water pump all wired up and working

jhk006.jpg

Rainbow horn wired up and working. Loud and lots of variety but some of the sounds sound cheap.

jhk004.jpg

Handbrake bracket was bent so Dad tried bending it back then came to me with 2 pieces. No parking on hills for a while. Anyone got one?

jhk005.jpg

Cleaning up and checking starter motor at same time

motor003.jpg

New gasket going on here coz the old one broke when we pulled the carbs off

motor006.jpg

Cleaned this up coz it was leaking. Bolts werent done up very tight

motor004.jpg

Been cleaning out the 2nd garage today so mine can have an inside spot. Plan is to pull the motor out this week. We'll also wire brush the crack by front windscreen to see whats going on then repaint engine bay and put new windscreen seal in which should be arriving this week.

Started working on a new parcel tray so that should be fitted by end of the week also.

My sub and amp all working ok. Gotta work out how to fit the sub woofer in the boot properly due to the floor not being flat. How did you mk2 cortina guys fit your sub woofer in the boot?

Well I guess it was only decided today that my car will be off the road for the next week or 2 for painting. Started pulling motor out today.

Started off chizzeling away at that crack below the windscreen with a screw driver. Then got the wire brush to it. Heaps of bog in there and also lead. Cut out the rust so we can weld in a new plate.

Got the wire brush to the guards. Then to the pannel which the bonnet clips into which I want to replace when I find someone that has one.

work26april002.jpg

work26april015.jpg

Rust6.jpg

Rust2.jpg

work26april023.jpg

work26april025.jpg

Rust5.jpg

Been working inside the car today pulling out seats and carpet getting a better idea of what condition the floor is in.

29april029.jpg

29april030.jpg

29april034.jpg

Got the wire brush in the spot which we thought wouldnt pass next warrant. Turns out it not as bad as expected.

29april035.jpg

Found a bit more we were unawear of

29april036.jpg

Drove 2 hours to pick up another cortina today to be used as a parts car. Going to pull off most of the front end and put it on my car as it's i better condition.

Its been the home for mice and bird for the last few years

May4th004.jpg

Meet my sister. I told her to clean her wheels...so she did

May4th007.jpg

May4th011.jpg

May4th014.jpg

I couldnt resist....

May4th024.jpg

Haha can you tell which is the better one??

May4th034.jpg

Got to work on them last night. Pulled off the panels we need.

This is the current state of the parts car

may5001.jpg

may5018.jpg

Got drivers guard of my car which was still attached by a small weld

may5011.jpg

So the rust in the driver panel went right through to this

may5023.jpg

Battery trays are great for holding tools and all the feijoas my dog brings throughout the night

may5015.jpg

The parts beast is gone to storage...haha and the mustang is back in its rightful place.

Current state of my car.

May10013.jpg

May10003.jpg

Another repair job to be made...

May10008.jpg

Painted a bit of the floor today. Started outside in the sunshine then got it in the garage 2 mins before the hail hit!

May10015.jpg

May10019.jpg

Petrol tank out to fix leaks and tidy up boot

May10025.jpg

Man am I glad we decided to pull the motor, gear box and whatever else apart. It's pretty gross. Look at the state of this oil!! If you look closely at the first pic you can see the water in it... A full set of new seals will be put on so we can be sure we fix the leaks. New oil will be put in.

may12026.jpg

may12030.jpg

Diff came out last night. Also to be cleaned up and painted

may12065.jpg

Engine bay holes have been welded up. All the wiring is going to be invisible!!

may12061.jpg

OMG why did nobody tell me about these grinding pads?? They're amazing!! Soooo much better than the wire brush! I didnt have to put any effort into this at all.

may12052.jpg

All ready to be painted in our painting boothe...(The wood shed). Front edge of the parcel tray

may12053.jpg

So much for just working on the front end...

may12056.jpg

But in stripping all this down look closely at what we found....the original black paint. That's how the GTEs are.

may12057.jpg

And also these little hook things. The GTEs have a lever beside the driver seat to open the boot. Mine doesnt have one but it has the holes for the bolts to screw into.

may12064.jpg

Woohoo what an exciting project.

Lots to do before heading to auckland on Sunday for a heavy 3 solid days of working on the car with a panelbeater who will weld in the new patches, do some painting and give us some idea of how the car looks. :D

Got the paint out last night. Just what we had so far. Bought more today. Yay I love painting. 1st time painting car things though.

Dad secretly had my diff sandblasted and painted all ready for us to attack without telling me!!

may13027.jpg

Got some yellow...

may13029.jpg

Some blue. LOVE this colour!

may13032.jpg

Didnt have the next colour. See if you can guess b4 I put up the finished pics what colour im going to use for the rest.

may13033.jpg

Painted my lines silver but pics are kinda pathetic so youll have to wait till its all back together.

Washed and sanded these ready for painting

may13026.jpg

Ran out of black

may13025.jpg

Spent last 3 days in Albany with Andy who' a friend of Dad's who was a panel beater. He gave a lot of advice and helped out a lot. Were hoping to get the front end back on but ran out of time. The guards were a lot of work paint stripping, de-rusting and patching up. That's where a lot of the time went. Even so, we stil got a lot done.

Day 1 - May 18

may18001.jpg

may18005.jpg

Acid killing rust

may18006.jpg

Making a container for paint stripper and acid

may18009.jpg

Floor ready to be patched up

may18013.jpg

Paint Stripper

may18014.jpg

Started stripping doors down then decided to focus only on front

may18030.jpg

Found rust that needed repairing in the seam while I was wire brushing the floor getting ready to finish my painting

may18021.jpg

A couple welds

may18023.jpg

The bath, no leaks!

may18025.jpg

Couldnt work out why it didnt fit on properly...have to add on an extra piece

may18027.jpg

More welds

may18031.jpg

may18034.jpg

Day 2 - May 19

may19003.jpg

All welded up

may19007.jpg

may19008.jpg

I ground the engine bay using the purple stripper pads and wire brush. Started getting the hard to get to parts with the sand blaster before deciding to pay someone to do it

may19011.jpg

This panel got some serious work on it...

may19012.jpg

Made a tool to loosen the edges for the acid

may19015.jpg

Sand blasted some of it

may19017.jpg

From this...

may19031.jpg

To this...

may19034.jpg

Got it fitting nice

may19019.jpg

Made a friend while I was up there

may19026.jpg

may19032.jpg

Got my floor painted which was high priority due to rain while we were up there

may19035.jpg

Day 3 - May 20...Last day in Albany. Time to stitch it together!!

Decided this should come off to get to the rust settling between the panels. Turns out it wasnt so bad after all

may20002.jpg

may20004.jpg

may20007.jpg

may20015.jpg

On!

may20012.jpg

Hmmm more rust...Theyre always worse than you think. Other side not quite as bad as this side

may20013.jpg

may20035.jpg

may20020.jpg

Andy giving a quick lesson on welding

may20016.jpg

Whole new seam! Looks stunning!

may20018.jpg

More work on that left guard

may20010.jpg

may20023.jpg

may20024.jpg

may20033.jpg

Right guard

may20027.jpg

may20029.jpg

may20036.jpg

Clean as! These buckets came off the parts car

may20037.jpg

Original slam panel had new ends put on

may20039.jpg

Lining it up!! Running out of time! Didnt fit like a glove so the bucket got pulled off the guard and trimmed to fit

may20043.jpg

Didnt get it all fitted and back together but it's going to go on no probs. By sitting panels on the car and putting doors back on it;s not going to take much to get it perfect.

The whole time we were there the weather was Rain/sun/rain/sun/rain/sun....crazy weather that I thought only rotorua got...lol. So with no protection on the bare metal I was a bit worried about taking it home. Was pooring down as we tidyd up the shed between 6-7 then went to the house to pack up. From the moment the car was out of the shed there was no rain. Drove all through auckland no rain. I was stoked at how well the weather was being for us....until Mamaku where we got snow!!

may20048.jpg

• 1 month later...

Started to get back into it again. My lovely Father is heading up to auckland this weekend (without me cause ill be at camp) to dip my doors, boot lid and bonnet in paint stripper.

I found a front valance in good condition. Heres some pics of my gross one thick with bog and eaten away by rusty

wizardofoz003.jpg

wizardofoz004.jpg

wizardofoz007.jpg

wizardofoz006.jpg

Got the dash off ready to go in for restoration.

july14th001.jpg

In doing so, got a better look underneath and found some more rust. Got in there with Mum hair dryer (shhh dont tell her) to melt the poop to see the damage.

july14th002.jpg

Got the boot lid off

july15001.jpg

And in doing so found more rust in the boot gutter. Time to check the parts car to see if that's any better...

july15006.jpg

With the big 21st Party comin along next weekend Im not expecting to get alot done on the cortina. Although, my Dad holds his hopes high and reckons we will be into the sand blaster the following week to touch up what I cant get to. Sand blaster is helping to keep costs down by letting me do what I can in the way of tidying up after him and applying the etch primer which of course he will teach me to do.