Voldo's 1976 Nissan Fairlady Z

BobbyBreeze

Project discussion > here

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

Just picked her up, 1976 Nissan Fairlady Z. Some of you have probably seen it around.

ZL model, L20e, 5 speed from 280zx, G nose, ZG flares, wat/superlite replica 15x8's.

Unfortunately someone has registered it as a 1979 Datsun 260z. So am looking for some Fairlady Z badges for the sides and tailgate.

Unsure what direction to take it, could go full ZG replica, build up a mean L31 etc, or could go back to standard.

For the meanwhile i'll tidy it up, repaint front bumper and lower valance, and probably sort some new wheels for it. Also am looking for some ZG light covers with the chrome strip, so if anyone knows where i could find some could they please let me know.

• 2 months later...

So took some photos of the Zed on Bizzo's SSR meshies. Looks better but still needs slam. Slowly working my way through getting the engine running mint. Runs heaps better but still needs a bit of work as the injectors tick really badly at idle, and it runs rich. Kinda hard to diagnose as the emissions stuff has been pulled off so unsure what needs what.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

Have acquired some 15" steels that i will be putting into some new 15" outers. Looking at 15x8.5 -3 all round at the moment so i don't have to run the ZG flares. Kinda keen on going super wide but unsure if i want to cut the guards at the moment. What do people think, black or silver for the steels?

Also got hold of a set of 260z struts i am going to convert to coilovers :) Also a front crossmember so i can experiment with moving the LCA inner pivot to correct bumpsteer when slammed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Coming off the road for a few months. It's winter and i don't drive it much. Plus it needs some much needed work.

Rear end is a bit clunky so i'm going to replace the front diff mount. While i'm at it i'll rebush all the suspension with poly bushes. They are old and tired.

Took it for a nice drive up port hills today (in the rain + grit). On way back front right brake started grinding hard. SO drove home braking using handbrake. Got home, pulled wheel off.

IMG_3274.jpg

And found this. Inner pad fucked. Bit of heavy braking must have removed the last bit of friction material off the pad.

IMG_3282.jpg

There is a small groove right at the edge of the disc, don't think it is enough to warrant getting them skimmed etc.

IMG_3283.jpg

However, i have a set of hilux 4 pot calipers here that came with the car. If i need to buy new pads the only extra cost of putting them on is discs. And the discs are pretty rooted anyway. So kinda thinking i might go that way. Yes they are fucking heavy. But i figure they are only like 1pound heavier than the standard calipers. And its not a race car...

Also, bought these a bit back. You can guess why.

IMG_3288.jpg

Churr

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Aftermath of the Christchurch earthqauke.

05092010.jpg

05092010001.jpg

01102010001.jpg

Pulled out screen with help of a mate, suprisingly didn't find any rust. Stoked. I was worried there was a bit under there because the screen was a bit gunked up.

Taking it into panelbeating class tomorrow to see if I can sort fixing it. Most likely a new guard/bonnet/scuttle and just panelbeat the roof. We will see though.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought another one. This time 1975 Nissan Fairlady Z. Is S30 shell so pretty sweet.

Big thanks to Ed for sorting it out / getting some pictures and details for me.

012_resize.jpg

008_resize.jpg

013_resize.jpg

Just been home this weekend to Wellington where its being stored. Was going to use it for parts for my other Z but don't think its wise as its probably a fairly easy restoration to get it back on the road - the body isn't too bad, major being it will need new chassis rails. Sills and roof are all mint, will need hatch, guards and bonnet.

Started it up too, sounds mint. Fairly low kms so thats to be expected.

Unsure what the plans are for it at this stage.