BobbyBreeze's 1982 Datsun Sunny Coupe KPB310

BobbyBreeze

Been meaning to start a thread on this Badboy for a while..so here it is.

P17-05-08_1517.jpg

1980, a14 powered, 5-speed goodness of datsun 310 coupage. Picked it up from Goon for $500.

Mechanicals are all good, i'm just working my way through rust work. Done roof, doors, rear slam panel. Got sills to go....Yeah, its a Datsun. More pics to come later.

Plans are slammage and camage, as always. And 13x8s.

Also, if anyone knows of parts i would be keen on some body bits and pieces.

Discussion thread

• 10 months later...

That^ one was rust-fucked. I bought another one. Now featuring Dave and a very patchy paintjob.

IMG_3362.jpg

Its pretty tidy, needs stem seals fixed - smokes like a bitch after its been idling a bit. Has very little rust so thats a plus.

Have some parts i've been collecting for this so will update tomorrow (after i strip the interior).

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

Had a bit of play around today, Pulled off the original cross-hatch grille and light covers and put in the slat grille with a Japanese spec Sunny badge i got a while back. Also took off that weird little aerial i don't know what was for and the bogan-spec louvers.

IMG_3393.jpg

Starting the collection

IMG_3395.jpg

Even have the Cherry Blossum tree outside

IMG_3381.jpg

Wheels that will be on it to start off with. Work Equip 13x7 -2 and 13x8 -15. Need to find some cheap 175/50s for the 8's.

IMG_3400.jpg

The seat i have lying around i might put in it. I know of this dude with a Japanese HIPPO bucket seat that he will give me though, so might run that instead.

IMG_3403.jpg

Pretty happy with it really. Fuck its fun to drive. Most of the stuff is there and should be sweet when a bit lower. Even the electric guard mirrors work.

Next thing to do is get some coilovers suited for the front and repaint front valence/fit chrome bumpers.

So, got some tyres sorted on some of my wheels. Big, big thanks the Chris (CUL8R) for his help and sourcing tyres. Top bloke.

Also cheers to Dave for letting my buy his 175/50r13 Advan ao48 semi slicks for the front.

We had to tube the 155/55's on to the 14x7 Hayashi Streets, turned out all good though. They look lame on compared to the 01's though. Need spacing out. This thing has huge guards, 13x8 -15 is only just flush.

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

Money shot.

IMG_3444-1.jpg

Michael did a quick photoshop and put it up on RC. Looks good if i do say so myself.

IMG_3447small.jpg

I have managed to source some new cheap BC's for the front so will probably go that way. Want it proper slammed though.

After that it just needs seat, interior stripped and a big tidy up along with chrome bumpers. Should be all go for summer.

BC-1.jpg

Just purchased. 325mm from top hat to end of thread. 6kg/mm springs.

Worked out i have 90mm droop on stock suspension. With a 130mm drop, that puts the shock length at 380mm compressed to achieve slammed status. 6kg springs so roughly 40mm compression from the weight of the car - means struts need to be 420mm long with 6kg springs at full extension. These measure in at 325mm, so hopefully the 95mm will be enough extra length to weld the bottom mounts to the strut tube + the extra distance at the top to account for the camber plate.

If not, can either run keepers or get the spear of the shock shortened 20mm or so. Probably the later, depending if cert man thinks 40mm droop is adequate.

If anyone has any s13 camber plates, or know of some 2nd hand ones please let me know. Having trouble finding some 2nd hand ones and i'm too cheap to buy new.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave and I had a play around with the parts car. Chucked the 30mm wider s110 diff in and the 8j equip 01's to see how they would fit. Turns out its pretty perfect.

Needed lipping and a bit of rolling but should turn out mean. Now i want to put this diff in rather than fucking around with the standard one.

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

How much ground clearance i have. Should be 80-85mm to the lowest point at the back.

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3454-1.jpg

holla

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

Got the BC's and test fitted Dave's s13 camber plates. Looks like i can drop the original top hat and use it as the spring perch. Should be about 370mm in length so should will be short enough.

Hopefully will take an angle grinder + guard roller to the red parts car on Friday to see what sort of drop i can get at the rear if i do some small chassis rail chops. Have been informed the cert guy i want to use is happy with ~20mm travel so it's looking good as long as i can stretch the guards out enough to clear the wheels. If i can clear the wheels i could be looking at tucking rim.

Will also have a look at test fitting the BC's for the front too. Have sorted GF's brother in law who is a welding instructor to weld the BC mounts to the strut tubes.

Also sorting out some engine stuff. Should be epic and hopefully sorted for the Jap Meet in Jan if all goes to plan :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of photos of the coilovers. Got a mate to machine up some 4340 sleeves that pressed over my strut tube and Harry welded them on.

24022010001.jpg

Limiting factor was how high we could get down behind the cast section of the strut to weld the new sleeve on. It drops to 55mm crossmember / 35mm rail with them, however if i was to do it again i'd machine out the old tube from the cast, and press a whole new threaded sleeve on. This way you can get the coilover unit further down into the strut. Not needed with this setup as the BC's i have are short as, but you'd need it with s13 ones.

Completed with s13 noltec camber/castor plates that went in without modification of the strut tower (needed to trim the side of the plate slightly)

24022010.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Test 1: Lift short turn, mow water jacket to keep the port cross section. Did a lot better, flowing 40% over factory port, still on stock valves. The aim is 55-60% more so still need to try a larger CSA and work the short turn a bit more. Might go a bit higher too. Tested with plasticine but will be welded / epoxied later this week.

nl5wqs.jpg

• 3 weeks later...