nothingsfree's daily rolla...

nothingsfree

Due to my current daily getting called up for service as the donor vehicle, Iv had to buy another daily. Seems 3 Dx's wasnt enough, Iv gone and added a fourth to the family. To be fair its actually a Se, so I have bought something a little different, and unlike the others it has reg, wof, and captive springs! Dont worry, its not completely legit tho, as its running a bigport 4age which its not certed for. Still, its really tidy inside, and has had a fresh panel and paint...

dsc02390pt1.th.jpgthpix.gif

dsc02392xt1.th.jpgthpix.gif

dsc02395wv7.th.jpgthpix.gif

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned in the rxdx thread, bought some sweet wheels, sweet wheels didnt fit over my sweet brakes so Iv thrown them on the daily instead..

Didnt really plan to, just went round to the workshop to have a few beers and do abit of work. I didnt think the wheels would fit over the brake setup that Im going to be running, but Iv been putting off confirming it.

Anyway, Simon, whos doing alot of the fab work for me is running the same brake setup that Im going to be, on his ae85. So I tried fitting one of the wheels on his car... not. even. close.

Ah well that sux, I spose I could put them on the daily? Stuck em on, looks sweet but needs to be lower. One coil or two? Meh fuck it, 2 coils it is. Now the tire sits on the guard, ah well just roll the guards out, turns out it needed more than just abit of rolling, so out comes the hammer. Now Iv got wheels that fit, but guards that look like abit of old gum.

The guy that I bought the car off did a really nice job of the guards, so iv asked him if hes keen to do em again, so hes coming round to have a look tonight. Fuck hes gonna hate me. :badgrin:

Front could lose maybe another half a coil, but the car is sitting pretty level, so I dunno, what you boys think?

Will get some better pics soon...

dsc02509dc5.th.jpg

dsc02508jz3.th.jpg

dsc02507ep3.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Spend some time before new years trying to get a few things sorted on the daily to take it away to Wanaka.

Sprayed the rad support panel black because you could see it through the grill, which just looked meh.

Before.

dsc02510ru9.th.jpg

After.

dsc02511bt7.th.jpg

Cut out bigger holes to fit 6's in the parcel tray, and then recovered it in the black carpet Mutiny had left over from the b1600. Looks sooo much tidier, tho couldnt find staple gun, so was just using normal stapler, so heaaaps of staples in it..

dsc02518no9.th.jpg

dsc02520jn6.th.jpg

Also resprayed door cards in black vinyl spray, came out pretty mint. Eventually will get the whole interior in black.

Mounted seats which makes a huge difference when youre thrashing it, dont have to hold onto the wheel to stop you falling out of your seat, you can just use it for steering which makes a nice change... Speaking of which, swapped the s/wheel as well for my suede one, bit nicer to hold on hot days. Mutiny threw the stereo in while I was messin round with some of the other stuff, so cheers for that bro.

Beat the shit out of the guards some more, which has got rid of the guard rub on all but the big bumps. Tho with two of us, all our gear, and our bmxs packed into it still got some pretty sweet rub on mission to Wanaka. Hit a couple of big bumps in a row and you'd get the sweet smell of rubber everytime...

dsc02529hr4.th.jpg

dsc02531dn0.th.jpg

dsc02528nc6.th.jpg

dsc02524ad4.th.jpg

dsc02533oz2.th.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I intended to upgrade the engine an box in the daily at some stage to a newer 20v or a beams 3sge, but wasnt really planning to do that till the engine started dying. But then this nice new 20v popped up on trademe, so I grabbed it and will drop it in further down the track when i have collected all the parts I need eg gbox, extractors, cams, link etc.

Engine is rebuilt Silvertop with new bearings, rings, seals, belts etc. Also has adjustable cam gears, trumpets and some other goodies...

Anyway, heres the pics.

dsc02548xi2.th.jpg

dsc02549ms2.th.jpg

dsc02550eq6.th.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just been driving this thing daily, so havnt really done much to it/useless.

Pulled the undertray off Kermit, gave it a clean up, a respray in matt black and stuck it on the Se.

Has def made a difference to pulling hot air out of the engine bay, only really needs the fan on when standing still.

Have collected a few more parts for the 20v conversion including an Altezza 6speed box to modify to fit up to the 20v...

dsc02556i.th.jpg

• 8 months later...

Woah, long time no post. Been in Oz since March, but back for the summer, so hopefully get some more done on all the projects...

Anyway, need to get the daily tidied up, and ready for cert so I can get another wof for summer.

Major things that need to be done, suspension sorted so its captive/way less guard rub, driveshaft loop, and probably exhaust. I knew it had been riding on the bump stops abit, but when I dropped out the rear springs, the bump stops were falling apart :D

I was gonna get new stiffer springs, but couldnt be bothered trying to get spring rate and ride height sorted, so decided to just throw my K Sport coilovers for Kermit in it instead and get new coilovers for Kermit when I need them.

Also welded in some reinforcing around the shock tower and made up a strut brace. Havnt done the fronts yet, but its already made a massive difference to the handling, and rear end grip!

Sorry pics are off phone...

p1518181109.th.jpg

p1519181109.th.jpg

p151901181109.th.jpg

p151902181109.th.jpg

• 2 months later...

The rear coil overs went in sweet, just bolted straight in, the fronts, not so much.

Because they were designed for an ae86, the shock bodies were too big to fit in the dx strut tubes, which are 46mm dia, whereas the 86 ones are bout 53mm dia from memory. So after much pissing around we cut the strut tubes off a set of ae86 struts and welded them to the dx axle stub. The cup in the axle stub where the shock sits into at the bottom of the strut had to be machined out a few mm so the bottom of the coil over could locate properly, but once that was done and the tube welded on, the Ksports fitted in perfect. Then one hole in the strut tower had to be slotted out a few mm. I also notched the center hole slightly so the full range of camber adjustment could be used.

p0003131209.th.jpg

Then tried fitting one of those universal driveshaft loops, but gave up after a few mins and just made my own. For future reference, if making your own, it must be a minimum of 5mm steel bar, with at least 2 10mm+ bolts each side, although it depends who you talk to, so talk to cert guy.

p2126141209.th.jpg

Speaking of cert guys, I ended up using Wayne Martin in chch after hearing he was pretty good to deal with. And right they were, hes a fucking GC, always happy to answer any questions, tells you exactly what he wants done for it to pass, and is just generally happy that you are taking the time and effort to make your car legit. Will def be going back to him for the other projects!

So anyway, after driving the thing for a year without cert, I finally got it all legit, cert reg wof, and then sold it a few days later haha :lol:

One of the last photos of it...

p1942271209.th.jpg