Kevinators 81 Mitsubishi Lancer EX

OSM Garage

Hey people

Just joined this site, and i am loving all the projects that are posted up on here. All the time and effort that you guys pour into your projects, gives me ALOT of motavation for my own. So, what better way to repay you guys, is to post up my project, and hopefully i do the same to another new member

JUST GET TO IT!

Saw this car on Trademe and couldnt resist, so i brought it because I had the perfect donor car. It was a factory GSR EX Lancer, so it had the disc rear diff, Starion struts, turbo instrument cluster, blah blah blah. I thought that this would be a simple swap, but boy was i wrong.

Found a couple of pics of my lancer before i hacked into it. Not the best pics, but pics none the less

900A0442.jpg

900A0443-1.jpg

Basicly, it was a 1200 BIG BLOCK, 4 on the floor, you know, all the good stuff. But parted ways with the goodies, to make way for the Evo 2 4G63T.

I raped the orange EX for everything it had and sold it on to a guy who has the MEANEST looking EX ive ever seen!

leftoversez9.jpg

leftovers2hi7.jpg

So this is where i was up to a couple of months ago

DSCF2047.jpg

DSCF2050-1.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

• Like 1

Pulled out the motor of the crashed lancer to find that the turbo took some of the impact. The wheels of the turbo didnt spin freely, so i had to replace it. I was hoping to get a good turbo like a Garrett GT28 or GT30, but i didnt want to modify the manifold or get new oil/water lines made, so i went for the EVO 3 TD-05 big 16g. Plus a Garrett is quite expensive. Worth the money tho

Heres a pic of the dead turbo

dscf2148gy6.jpg

Had awesome help from my dad to separate the GSR wiring loom from the Microtech loom and central locking and alarm. The battery is now positioned in the boot but still need to buy a battery box. Im glad someone knows what theyre doin coz i dont!

dscf2158nq0.jpg

Also got new radiator because the old one took a hiding. Also the old one had a stupid pipe running along the top because the top inlet was on the wrong side. The new radiator is suited for this application better.

DSCF2433.jpg

Took some pics with the radiator

dscf2160eg9.jpg

dscf2161nw6.jpg

Almost up to date. Trying to catch up!

The weekend just gone, I decided to open up the front of the radiator area just to give it more air flow. Also hacked off little bits the got in the way of the radiator

Before

beforecut1er2.jpg

After

aftercut1qr5.jpg

Before

beforecut2vw1.jpg

After

aftercut2ut1.jpg

Also finished off the intercooler piping, ready for me dad to mount the new turbo and make suit the RWD top mount config

intercoolerpiping1gn5.jpg

intercoolerpiping2ne9.jpg

intercoolerpiping3uk4.jpg

Fitting the gearbox up, realized that the gearbox is a standard Sigma box modified to run hydraulic. I had a 1600 lancer box and thought if i swap the arm, thatl change it back to cable clutch, but 1600 lancer boxes are different to sigma

Top one is Sigma modified to suit hydraulic, bottom one 1600 lancer

DSCF2452.jpg

So had to buy spare Sigma box, just for the arm. Notice the different lever positions

DSCF2435.jpg

Sticking with the buying bug, i brought an engine lifter, and a malpassi RRFPR

DSCF2434.jpg

I finally got stuck in to the car and mounted the oil cooler. I was going to mount it just behind the bumper, but decided it was to tricky. Had a mate come over and gave me a perfect place to put it.

DSCF2446.jpg

DSCF2447.jpg

DSCF2449.jpg

DSCF2450.jpg

DSCF2451.jpg

Because its running an Evo 2 engine, it has a 7 bolt flywheel. So i cant run a RWD flywheel. The bellhousing has been chopped up to suit this

DSCF2442.jpg

My dad came round to fit the turbo. He had to turn the exhaust housing and front to suit the top mount config. Took a lil bit but he got there.

DSCF2453.jpg

Here it is all made up sitting on the bench. Ready to bolt up, but i have to get the internal wastegate welded shut because of the Tial 38mm External Wastegate

DSCF2454.jpg

DSCF2455.jpg

Now here are some pics of the engine bay with turbo setup. Almost there, i can taste it. But still ALOT of work to be done. Need to find someone with a welder, and who can weld aswell!

DSCF2456.jpg

DSCF2457.jpg

DSCF2458.jpg

DSCF2459.jpg

Just a lil update

Went to pick a part for a sroll and check out what goodies are there. If there was anything worth something, i wouldve brought it, and sold it on trademe. As i ventured to the Mitsi section, There it layed, a RWD Sigma wagon. So I raced back home to grab some tools, went back to pick a part to rip out the diff.

Heres a pic of the Sigma wagon 10 bolt diff

10BoltSigma.jpg

I heard a rumour that the Sigma wagons came out 10 bolt compared to the sedans (Sigma & Lancer) which came out 8 bolt. If this 10 bolt diff is the same as the GSR Disc 10 bolt, then ill have spare axles and diff head. I layed the diffs side by side to check if the lengths are the same

And they were (Good start!)

SigmaLancerdiffs.jpg

Ripped out the axles and diff head, ready to chuck the Sigma wagon diff housing away. Anyone want a Diff Housing? FREE!!!

10Bolthousing.jpg

10Bolthousing2.jpg

If this diff fits perfect inside the GSR Disc housing, im going to lock it. An LSD would be good, but im not forking out $1000+ for one. A lock diff would probably suit me better to what I want to do. Although, I heard that L200's came out with 10 bolt LSD? Is this true?

Heres a pic of 10 bolt Sigma (Left) compared to 8 bolt Lancer. Hard to see the difference but the 10 bolt is much larger then the 8 bolt (As you would expect)

10Bolt8Bolt.jpg

10Bolt8Bolt2.jpg

I also tried to dummy up the muffler. What you guys think?

Dummyupmuffler.jpg

Saturdays weather was to good to waste on working on the car, so not much happened on this day. Where as today (Sunday) the weather was crap and depressing. Looking at the Lancer wasnt helping either. BUT, i found some energy to do a lil bit of work on the beast.

Decided to pull the engine out to attend to the welding duties. There are quite a lot of welding to be done in the engine bay. eg coil brackets, fuel filter mount, oil cooler mount, heater hose hole (Block it off), intercooler mount. And while the engines out, i can tidy up the imperfections.

DSCF2471.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

DSCF2475.jpg

Finally got to use my new engine lifter. Worked a charm!!!

DSCF2477.jpg

DSCF2478.jpg

With the engine out, i decided to take a few pics of it an display it on here so maybe others doing or deciding to do this conversion, can gets some ideas or tips.

DSCF2479.jpg

DSCF2480.jpg

This picture is showing how the rear water inlet/outlet pipe comes around to the front

DSCF2481.jpg

Left side of engine (Intake side)

DSCF2482.jpg

Right side of engine (Exhaust side)

DSCF2483.jpg

Snapped a couple of pics of the car with the engine out. Gotta love the ride height in the rear. Looks lower in real life

DSCF2484.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

Got plastic ties holding the gearbox up. My cousin Antz would be so proud!!!

DSCF2486.jpg

Tiny update

Ever since ive owned the lancer, there has been an uglu rust repair in the engine bay, along the chassis rail (Common). Decided to see how bad the rust was under the repair, so got out my friend, Mr Angle Grinder, and made mince meat out of it

Rustrepair.jpg

Closeup.jpg

Who ever made the repair, didnt do a good job. They just basicly covered it instead of fixing it. Amateurs!

Behindrepair.jpg

Finally tried to finish the wiring for the central locking. BUT........only did 1 door. I got lazy. Ill finish the others later.

Pillar.jpg

Pillarbung.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Teeny, weeny update time

Not alot has been going down at the moment. A combination of depression and no money mixed with a lil lack of tools, has lead the EX Lancer to a stand still. Anyone wanna donate there welding skills and welder to this pile? Man, i need to win that powerball!!!

Anyhow thought id show ya the lil i have done. I brought a battery box for the boot. THATS IT!

Battinboot-1.jpg

Battinboot2.jpg

I dont even have a battery! Geez

• 2 weeks later...

Update Tizzime

Yet again, not much of an update, but a lil bit of progress has happened. This Sunday produced awesome weather. So, taking full advantage of it, I decided to bring the Lancer out of the dark dingy garage, and into the sunlight.

Thought my best plan of attack was to get everything ready for welding. So, I went a little crazy with the angle grinder, cutting unwanted mounts, and exposing bare metal for the welds. God bless the Sanding discs for angle grinders. They are the SHIZZ!!!

Axed out the battery mount. FINALLY!

Batterymount.jpg

Cut a mount for the other side of the oilcooler

Oilcoolermount.jpg

Got rid of some unwanted tags that hold the wiper wires. Ive re-routed these.

Before

Beforetabs.jpg

After

Aftertabs.jpg

I cut up a bit of panel steel to block off the heater hose hole. Im still gonna run a heater, but im moving where the hoses go thru. Just to clear the CAS abit better.

Heaterblock.jpg

Forgot to bring home the cordless drill from work, so i couldnt drill holes for the driveshaft hoop and oilcooler mount. Should be done during the week. Gaining a lil bit of momentum which is what i needed. Decided that im gonna hire a mig welder over the labour weekend and get some sparks going. Im so desperate to here this thing run!!!

Didnt win $30million either :cry:

Is it just me or is Daylight Savings AWESOME!?

Got home from work today, sun still beaming, so i did some work on the Lancer.

My main target was the driveshaft hoop. Since i brought the drill home, I made 2 holes through the floor for the hoop to bolt through. Didnt work out as I hoped, but good enuff

Driveshafthoop.jpg

Hopefully Mr Cert Man will be happy with that!

Mucked around tidying up the wiring in the engine bay. Also, finally finished running the wires through the rear doors for the central locking.

Centrallocking2.jpg

Centrallocking.jpg

Cant wait for this weekend. Im gonna hire a welder, and get busy with it. If I get all my welding done, which is.....

- Driveshaft hoop bolts

- Fuel pump mount

- Oilcooler mount

- Fuel filter mount

- Intercooler mounts

- Heater blocked

- Coil mount

Then I can start piecing the car back together. Hopefully get it running, take for a hoon, THEN, pull it all apart again for panel & paint!!! Then Cert, Wof, Reg, CRUISE!

Good Times! 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Update Time 30/11/08

Awesome weather + No cash = Stay at home and work around the house

Got bored with the house work and pulled the beast out of the dungeon. Still waiting for the right welder to pop up, so theres not much i can do. Decided to swap the drum diff, for the disc diff. Been holding off doing this. Dont know why tho

DSCF2538.jpg

Ive bolted up one of my Recaro Fishnet buckets just for laughs, but I wont be using them. I like the factory seats too much.

FishnetRecaro.jpg

BEFORE

RDrumdiff.jpg

Diffout.jpg

Diffout1.jpg

Put diffs near each other to have a look at the difference. Cant tell by the pic, but the 10 bolt diff is HUGE compared to the lil 8 bolt

10bolt8bolt-1.jpg

AFTER

RDiscdiff1-1.jpg

RDiscdiff-1.jpg

So, still needing my welding done to progress. Cant wait to buy a welder. Purchased a little 40lt air compressor to do little tasks aswell. Hopefully, my next post will be the money maker post!!!!

Watch this space!

NOTE - I still have the crashed EX Lancer if anyone needs any parts

• 2 months later...

UPDATE TIME!

Been a while since I updated this thing. Done quite a bit of work on it over the weeks.

Got the disc rear diff in and decided to see if the Sigma wagon axles fit in the GSR Diff.................PERFECT MATCH!

Was a bitch to get the axle out!

Axlepulledout.jpg

Comparingaxles.jpg

Brought myself a Chrismas prezzy. Autometer Pro-Comp gauges!!!

All3Gauges.jpg

I dont plan on using the Fuel pressure gauge, so its up for sale. The boost gauge had leaked the fluid that was inside, so i drained the Fuel gauge, and poured it in the boost gauge.

Heres where I plan on mounting the gauges

Boostgauge.jpg

BoostOil.jpg

Got out the ol die grinder and started hacking at the dash. Was hesitant in doin it, but theres no turning back now!

Holedrilledout.jpg

Here it is in place

Gaugesinplace.jpg

Gaugesinplace2.jpg

Took a coupla pics with no springs in the back. Dont know why

NoSprings.jpg

NoSprings2.jpg

DSCF2553.jpg

Tried to swap a 200kph speedo out of a 1600 lancer into my 1200 das cluster. But didnt work

16001200Gauges2.jpg

Fitted the GSR steering box and didnt look right. Put side by side against the 1200 box and noticed the arm of the GSR is bent bad. Will have to swap this over

Steeringboxcomp.jpg

Brought myself yet another present!!! Best present ever!!!

Mymigwelder.jpg

Brought it with gasless wire in it. Couldnt get the hang of it. Then got a bottle from boc and some solid wire, and HOLY SHITBALLS its the SHIT!!! Fully recommend Gas. Throw the gasless shit AWAY!

So, with the new toy, ive done my welding in the engine bay.

Blocked of heater hole

Heaterholeblocked.jpg

Oil cooler mount

OilCooler.jpg

Intercooler mounts

Intercoolermounts.jpg

Coil mount, fuel filter mount and new heater hole made

CoilsFuelFilterHeater.jpg

ENGINE IN TIME!

Enginegoinin.jpg

Spent today bolting the turbo on, inlet manifold and engine plugs in. Anything i could bolt up, i did. This is how its looking like now

Enginein.jpg

Still a bit of work to do but its getting close to skid day!!!

IDIOT REPORT!

Just had a heart stopping experience. What a giant penis!!!!

Was welding under the boot for the fuel pump, finished welding and noticed a cracking sound and lotsa smoke. huh, whats that? The boot had caught fire! :cry:

Bootfire1.jpg

Bootfire2.jpg

Burntcarpet.jpg

Amp looks toasted. My JBL components are throw aways, carpet burnt to a crisp and the plastic trim melted. I feel like the worlds biggest idiot!

So im now after boot carpet and trim if anyone can help.

• 4 weeks later...

IM OVER IT!!!! :x:x:x

Plugged up the wiring, and tested the electrics. Nothings goin right. Central locking isn't playing the game, computer turns on while the motor is cranking, and doesnt stay on when key is in the "ON" position. Put some oil in the bastard and tried to get some oil pressure. I cant get any oil pressure! Im over it!!!

For sale maybe??? :doubt:

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to do something about this car today.

Had a few tips and tricks to try to get some god damn oil pressure. I pumped oil back thru the oil feed for the turbo. Turned the motor backwards. NOTHING!

So, thought id pull the motor out and have a look under the sump.

ENGINE OUT..........AGAIN!

Engineoutagain.jpg

Got it sitting on the engine stand

Engineonstand.jpg

As soon as i took the sump off, i saw silicon build up all on the pick up. Probably not the main cause of the lack off pressure, but mite have contributed to it.

Sumpoff.jpg

Gunkypickup.jpg

The pick up mite have been squashed up against the sump so i tapped the bottom out a bit

Decided to do a few tests

Took the pick up off and put some oil down. Turned the motor over by hand to see if the oil gets sucked up, and it did - Good start!

Pulled out the pressure relief valve to see if its not stuck open. Was working perfectly - Good

Kept turning the engine over whilst pumping oil in the pump to see if oil pumped thru to the relief valve. It was squirting oil out the fitting for the pressure gauge! - EVEN BETTER NEWS!

So the pump works. May have been deprived of oil coz of the gunk and squishing of the pick up. Before i put the engine back in the car, im gonna fill up the pick up, and pack it full of grease. :D

In other news, I locked my spare diff! :twisted: Wont put it in till its running, for obvious reasons

Lockeddiff.jpg

To Lowlancers Disgust, I mounted my rear muffler. I dont think it looks that bad

Rearview.jpg

Shes comming together. Just gotta sort out the electrical bugs, hope ive fixed the oil problem, then its BIG BURNOUT TIME!!!

• 2 months later...

Winter weather is stink!

Haven't been able to do much on the car lately, due to either stink weather or busy schedule.

Managed to attack it today. Pulled it out of the dungeon for the first time in ages

Neglect.jpg

Looked rather sad

Neglect2.jpg

We quickly checked the state of the main and big end bearings before putting the engine back together. They weren't in the best shape, but will do in the meantime. Mite have to rebuilt my spare VR4 block. Put the engine back together and slapped it back in the car. Spent most of the day pluging and connecting all sorts.

I like it when its all back together

Enginebay001.jpg

Enginebay002.jpg

Enginebay003.jpg

Brought me one of those OTT monster tacho's. Had a warning light laying around, so put that on as well.

MonsterTacho.jpg

Not too sure where to mount it. Here looks like the only place

Dashwithgauges1.jpg

Dashwithgauges2.jpg

Still need to sort out the electrical bugs. Hopefully next weekend, it mite fire up!!! Not sure if it gets oil psi.

Need some better rims!

Till next time...............................

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend we went hard out to get this thing alive. My first goal was to check if it had oil pressure. Cranking it over, it took a while, but oil started comming thru the nylon tube. At this point, I was wrapped. Spent most of the day attacking the wiring. I had issues with the computer not turning on while cranking. Sounds easy to get around, but the computer runs thru the alarm. Quite tricky!

The ol man worked his magic on the ignition switch. I almost had to do what Ke36 had to do, and wire up a starter button, but the ignition works, finally. The computer turns on, while cranking, but had no spark. We traced the problem back to an earth not connected. Once that was put on, all I had to do was fill it up with gbox oil, and see if she runs.

Today, I topped up the gbox oil, put some water in the radiator, plugged up the computer, rough wired the tacho in, plumbed up the gauges, chucked some fuel in it, tightened up the silicon joiners in the hopes that it might make some kind of starting noise.

Wiringbeforestarting.jpg

Ready to try and start

Enginebeforestarting.jpg

And well...........Actions speak louder than words!

• 6 months later...

Well......

Been a LONG time since i felt like touching this car. Still dont really.

Have been hounded to get this thing on the road, so hopefully over the little holiday I have thru christmas ill "TRY" to get into it.

Managed to take it for a hoon down the road a while back.

Since that video it kinda sat in my garage.

Today I finally pulled out the engine and gearbox to start the long, hard job of............Panel & Paint!

P1030415.jpg

So hopefully you'll get more updates during the silly season. If I can be arsed!

• 4 weeks later...

Went up north for the holiday's and was hoonin thru the country roads thinkn "Man this would be so choice if I was in the lil Lancer"

So i kinda got a goal of getting this thing up north by New Years. So ive got a bit of motivation.

Spent a wee while stripping the engine bay out so i can make it look pretty. Getting rid of wires that arnet used, and re routing wires to hide them a bit more. Over the next coupla weeks ill be filling in holes and dimples to make it look all smooth.

P1030638.jpg

Decided to mount the washer bottle in the boot to get it out of the engine bay. My factory EX bottle had been smashed so I went n brought 1 from Pick a part along with some extra hose.

Made a crappy mount

P1030634.jpg

P1030635.jpg

And this is it all welded in place. No boot fires! :rolleyes:

P1030636.jpg

P1030637.jpg

Not much to do now really. Just gotta save to fund for wheels, paint, cert. Cant wait!