Snoozin's 1972 Triumph 2000 - farewell!!! xoxoxox

Snoozin

Yuh I finally got one.

Got no decent photo's of it yet however, picked it up a week ago for $800 (plus cost of a battery and some rego) and took some pics that evening. Was chilly, couldn't hold camera straight.

Dsc00188.jpg

Dsc00193.jpg

Trumpy3.jpg

It's pretty tidy, needs a couple of scrapes in the paint touched up on the drivers side, the old boy who owned it prior to the chick I bought it off (3 owner car!) was a bit over zealous with the polish so he's gone through the paint in a couple of spots. Nothing major, adds character. :lol: 66000 original miles, interior is tidy as hell, even the carpets are mint. No leaks either, which is nice. Well, the boot does but oh well. Original Clarion AM radio with centre speaker. Someone's hit a towball with the front bumper so it has a small dent which is annoying. Automagic, which is of little consequence because it fits in with the cruisiness of the whole affair.

Came with it's service history booklet, owners manual, and the "Pitman Book of the Triumph 2000." Also adorned with a choice AA Canterbury Veteran Member sticker on the screen, an a matching old AA "Touring Documents" slipcase full of late 70's museum programmes, information about various South Island towns and their associated attractions, late 1970's road maps, emergency service locations etc etc.

Motor runs like a charm... starts easy (it um... ran out of gas the other day... fuel light just failed to work, fixed the bulb now :P) it's kind of not really that fast, but I saw an indicated 100mph in it on the way home from buying it. Sounds mean, even though the exhaust is microscopic.

Plans include doing nothing interesting to it, like everything else I own. :lol:

Where nothing interesting includes at the bare minimum, Flange-spec springs, new shocks in the front, an old sucker attachment type roofrack, and either 14" Liteace steels (perhaps widened), my 6.5" Streetfins or the 14x7 Work Excels once refurbed.

Looking for a rear window venetian so if anyone knows where to find such a thing, please lt me know :)

• 2 months later...

Some wheels accidentally bolted themselves on.

Dsc00652.jpg

Dsc00645.jpg

Better pics to come, I was just bored in the shed etc and BLAM! It just happened. WOF time tomorrow, then we'll see what we can achieve with an angle grinder and some creative thinking.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So.

I just completed a 1180 mile (1899km) road trip in this thing over my holidays - no problems except for a self inflicted argument with a speed bump in Tauranga which forced the exhaust into the driveshaft, and made for some epic grinding sounds. I limped to a nearby tyre shop where the guys let me use their hoist so I could put it right... for a few beers! Thanks to Mag and Turbo Tauranga, GC's!

Anyway, doing nearly 2000km without musics to help me along kind of, well, sucked. I had the AM radio with the supreme quality sounds of the single dash top mounted speaker to keep me company, and drifted from one rubbish station to the next (when I couldn't find Newstalk ZB, which RULES btw). So this has prompted me to assemble this pile of kit, some of which I've used in previous cars, some of which is new to me.

Trumpy118.jpg

Trumpy117.jpg

The gear includes a Pioneer CD/MP3 head unit (will prob get swapped for the Clarion in the KP though), a set of DLS R6A 6.5" component speakers which have seen usage in 3 cars now, just amazing speakers... a Resonant Engineering SR12 12" dual 4 ohm voice coil sub, capable of handling lots of watts of power... which is sweet, since I have an eAudio 1000D amp, which will feed it 800wrms when the sub is wired in parallel to present a 2ohm load to the amp! Doof doof? Finally, running the front speakers is an eAudio 480AB 4 channel amp, which will be run in 2 bridged channels pumping somewhere around 200wrms into each front speaker.

Plans for the install include a fully integrated boot install, big ported box for centrally mounted sub, with an amp mounted either side. All flush mounted, trimmed in either brown loop pile carpet as per the rest of the car, or if I feel adventurous, trimmed in proper wood veneer stained/oiled to suit the rest of the timber that's a feature of the Trumpy interior. Front stage will consist of basic fibreglass door pods similar to what I ran in the Alfa, with crossovers mounted somewhere discreet and out of the way.

Alternator will need to be upgraded, I'm on top of this already with an 80A Lucas item off a tractor of all things, currently being sorted. A bigger battery will follow, along with some quality cabling and wiring fittings. Win!!! It's go a bit slower, but it'll be infinitely more awesome to travel in.

Also, the look of the car has changed quite a bit now, I'll try to get some pictures shortly.

• 1 month later...

As it ended up. Sold now, still living with me but it goes to it's new owner on March 7th. More time to spend on the KP, but I loved every minute of driving this thing, what a sweet car... turned heads and put a smile on peoples faces.

Dsc01753.jpg

Trumpy181.jpg

Trumpy161.jpg

Trumpy160.jpg

Trumpy158.jpg

Trumpy142.jpg

Trumpy146.jpg

Mmm, the sumptuous warmth of real wood and real, um.... vinyl.

Trumpy135.jpg

Trumpy138.jpg

Trumpy155.jpg

Yeah. Veteran.

Trumpy178.jpg

Rockin' Vinegar hill with the Flangewagon - Happy Trump Friends.

Trumpy124.jpg

Trumpy131.jpg

Trumpy130.jpg

And concluding the post with this shot, cos I said it's cool

Trumpy154.jpg