Solidstripe's 1966 Prince Gloria

solidstripe

Project Disscustion here:

viewtopic.php?t=12839&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hey all, ok, as some of you will know, I have/am selling my ceddy to John, seeing as I don't have any money to paint / build up it any time soon, I thought I might as well pass it on to someone who can/will. So with regret it is now his project...

BUT!!

I can't be carless as the Ceddy was the daily driver, so picked up this today.

A 1966 Prince (read: Nissan) Gloria (B200). Running a beautiful reconditioned original G7 6 cyl engine with 4 speed column change. Driving it back today, it is the most cruisyest car ever!! This engine just purrs!! Interior is mint and totally original. Exterior wise, it's still in it's original coat, and coming from ChCh, and garaged for the last 15 years in auckland (hasn't even been out in the rain for the past 8 years!!) it has no rust and the paint is still in reasonable nick, thanks to the awesome guy I brought it off who kept it in such good condition.

Has a truck load of spares (litterally, diff, gearbox, uv, driveshaft, front n back windows, all lights, etc etc etc etc...) even the origainal owners papers, owners manual, shop manual, coupon book, drivers log, and other books that I can't remember, the original jack/tool kit (some guy, presume overseas, emailed him WTBing the tool kit, after spend 40k restoring his Prince Skyline. Name your price offer kinda thing!)... seriously, there's some great history behind this car.

Picture time:

DSC000123143.jpg

DSC00071adgfadgfafdg.jpg

He offered me a either a prince tie pin/large laminated poster he took off a ceiling in a abandonded mechanics/anchient "datsun" fan with a gloria n bluebird or 6 months rego, and being that I'm stretched for cash, I had to take the rego. So bam!! Rego, AA Canterbury sticker, and shiny 40 year old paint FTW!

DSC00073.jpg

Should of got the other stuff.

More pics to come when I can get them off the phone.

More pic's as per requested.

Front steez, clear indicators decades before it was a car fashion statement! (i'm sure there'd be other factory clear indictators out there, don't hate me) 8)

frontsteez.jpg

Rear is primo. Got a spare boot badge and tail lights:

image-upload-11-776526.jpg

What's that shiney thing hiding in there?

image-upload-9-796346.jpg

Pffft, just my polished rocker cover!

And shiney 40 year old bonnet FTW!!

image-upload-14-777258.jpg

(and factory working bonnet vents)

Here's some pics of the interior and spares:

STH70377.jpg

STH70382.jpg

Lens, fuel pump kit, owners manual, coupon book, workshop manual / more books, brand new badges etc: (Cam, trim and box of gaskets in the background)

STH70387.jpg

Brand new tail light, hud caps (x8 ) and grill

STH70388.jpg

Gearbox, diff, drive shaft (exhaust and intake manifold behind gearbox):

STH70391.jpg

Pumps/misc:

STH70392.jpg

Valves and head stuff:

STH70393.jpg

Misc:

STH70394.jpg

STH70395.jpg

A few lens', speedo console, horn/inner steering ring etc:

STH70396.jpg

So should keep it on the road for years to come!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a external visor for it the other day over at the mount. It was originally for some kind of pugo so it's a bit short (bout 10-20cm) so am hopeing to lengthin it somehow. My first idea would be to get some of the same outer material and section a piece in the middle and then redo the mesh while I'm there. Do you think it will work? Any other idea's?

image-upload-19-777067.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More pic's as asked for:

image-upload-46-703695.jpg

image-upload-54-784342.jpg

image-upload-66-754880.jpg

Wanted to take some more last night around Auckland CBD, but the car had developed a whine that was getting louder and louder in 3rd and 4th. I thought it was lack of fluid so went to go top it up and as I poored it in the top it all came out the bottom like a sive!! Then when I went to go move it out of the gas shop it would change into gear, engage then start shuddering when I went to go forward. Is that serious by the sounds of things? Or will a new gasket and some oil fix it? I'm going to rip it out this avo if I'm up to it and check it all out anyways.

Ok, you know your oldschool if: you arrive at your destination 12 hours+ later than if you'd just takin the newer car....

Today was a mission. Figured out this morning in the light that I'd put the tranny fluid in the bellhousing!! (doH!!1!) So that's what was causing the shuddering when trying to move it, the oil all over the clutch causing it to slip and shudder.

So. We jack the car up on the side of the road with make do tools. Take the clutch bottom cover off and drain it, then blast it full of carb cleaner (doesn't leave deposit's as much as degrease) and got most of it off. Got to do it again tomorrow while the clutch is ingaged just to get the last of it out. So, problem solved.

Except me having the biggest head cold and blocking up ears/hearing, turns out noise wasn't coming from the front, but the back, so looks like diffs whining a bit. Toped it up a bit but still whines at around 100 in 3rd and OD. Will suss it out ASAP cause after drivning with that for 2 hours back from AKL, it's blimmin loud! (Thanks to Jeremy big time for the tools/help if you read this!)

O yeah, had to pull out some wires and stuff to get at the bell houseing and put one back in back to front, and it stuffed up the iginition and headlights big time. I could drive, but with no headlights ( interior lights worked but no horn or radio and if I turned the headlights on full beam it killed the engine straight away even though they weren't working :lol: ) and with it getting dard, had to pull over by the pink pig and rewire it/push start by myself. But is all good again.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ok ok... Just got a old N.Z Classic car Mag off trademe for $4 the other day and it arrived last night. I was stoked cause it was supposed to have a spread on Prince Gloria's. So I flick over a few pages and BAM!! There's a photo shoot of my car!! :shock: Woha!! It's allready been in the magazines! May 98 NZCC. Score, I'll post some proof up when I can get some pics. Also I've been trying my hand at painting whitewalls, will let y'all know how it's gone/how I did it...

The DIY Whitewall article: You know you've allways wanted too, but too afraid they'd turn out bung.

So here's a little summery of what I've tryed/learnt lately:

What you need:

1 x Electrical Tape (it's more rubberised/stretchy and doesn't bunch up like masking tape going round in circles)

1 x Razor blade

Some degresor

Some resene rubber/butyl roof primer (after my research, I figured this would do the trick, I take no liability if it eats into your tyres. Not that I think it would, as it's designed specificly for use on rubber) Pretty expensive.

1 x paint brush.

1 Litre or 1/2 litre would be better of untinted, white based Resene Lumbersider. (Reason why I use this as, when I was a painter it is pretty hard wearing and sun resistent, so hopefully should be pretty hardy and not yellow. Also, it's the perfect whitewall colour/gloss level. Not too shiney, not too matt.)

image-upload-42-737895.jpg

Cost around $80 from the resene shop.

Ok, so what I did.

1stly, look on your sidewall for a edge you want to use as an outline.

Pick/snip those little rubber spikey things that stick out the side of your tyres.

Give the side wall a bit of a scuff with sandpaper (just lightly, and try not to sand that edge) and degrease it and washe it and let the tyre dry. This gives the tape and paint something to stick to without debry getting in the way.

Next, mask up that edge carefully. This is the most important stage, make sure you do it as good as possible! Go over the tape again, pushing it down into the edge you want with your fingernail. Very carefully, cut it with the blade the tape in the edge you want. (just cut the tape, don't go crazy and cut the tyre! Go carefully, take your time, do it once, do it right. Peel it off the inner piece that your cut carefully, and push down whats left again on the tyre.

image-upload-44-722863.jpg

Then slap on your roofing butyol primer. (don't go over the masking onto the rest of your tyre!) Lay it off as nice as you can. It goes on blue but drys clear. Don't do it in the sun, as this waterbased stuff drys quickly.

image-upload-32-728404.jpg

Wait however long it tells you to, and slap on 3 coats of your lumbersider after that. (let each coat dry for the recommend time, or else it may snot up or crack) Make sure you jostle it around and get in any groves/lettering. Lay each coat off as nicely as you can.

Wait for it to dry, and peel off the tape. Volia! Whitewalls for a fraction of the price. I dummy tested it on a old tyre we had lying around, and bounced it and scuffed it pretty good once it had dryed and it is pretty hard wearing stuff. I would presume it'd be better to do it to a tyre thats allready on the rim, and mask the rim as well, if you don't think you can cut it in. That way it'd save it getting damaged putting it back on the rim, just in case.

Anywho the final product should look something like this:

image-upload-31-769366.jpg

It's a pretty naf tyre with about a 1/2mm edge, so, it's not that flash. I'm trying it again with masking tape at the moment to see if that sharpens up the edge line anything. The bigger the edge, the nicer the finished line will be.

EDIT= Just painted the other side, and masked it up with paper masking tape. Worked pretty good as well, just wouldn't recommend it unless your've done masking before as it does tend to crease. Electrical tape would is the go if you havn't done it before. As I was peeling it off just now, I figured it'd be better to cut along the making edge as well again, so it doesn't tear the paint or leave any tape on the tyre. I cut it again before peeling the masking tape off and the difference is definatly noticeable. Much better.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know what to say. This afternoon a lady came over the brow of the hill outside our place and was looking in the back seat talking to her daughter in her 4x4. This morning I had parked out on the street ( a rare occasion) and she fully rear ended my baby... Got a call at work saying I should probebly come have a look at my car cause it's been in an accident. Pulled up behind the cop car and saw this:

P3040001.jpg

Thought "oh, no - but it's not as bad as it could of been" then got out of the car to see this:

P3040004.jpg

P3040003.jpg

P3040002.jpg

P3040014.jpg

Absolutely gutted. Still in utter shock. Made worse by the old dude that drove past and said he used to drive them off the boat back in the day, and he hadn't seen one in years and if it still had it's original engine it'd be worth a mint and yada yada yada blah blah blah...

Her 4x4 (a prado?)

P3040009.jpg

Had a look underneath it and the piece of flat bar behind the bumper was the only bit of the structual underbody I can see that is bent.

P3040011.jpg

But it bolts off so can be easily replaced. Hopefully the chassis is still straight. The doors don't close the same even though they weren't touched so I'm freaking out what the insurence people will say. If it gets written off, I'll be outa pocket, and if it's fixable I'll have to get the whole car paneled and painted while I'm at it, so I'll be forking out money anyway. I'm pretty sure the panels are beyond beating out so will have to start looking for a wreck I can cut the back 1/4 off and stuff. Yay...

Just so absolutly gutted... gona cry myself to sleep tonight. It was one of a few times I've left it out on the road. what do you do? :cry:

^ I sense the mod sqauds been here. Hahaha!

Update time - I have two pretty solid leads now, one offer from Chris (dat180 (EDIT - Dattochriswagon) who's offered to go out of his way to strip a gloria in a feild he knows of (Legend, thanks heaps!), and one from Steve (NZMAX) who's got pretty much all the spares I'll be needing including a 1/4 panel allready choped lying around!! So Steve will be my first choice and if that doesn't pan out, I'll take up your offer Chris and get in touch with the old boy and see how much he wants and will get in touch with you.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their support and help, I don't know what to say...

Update on the parts finding progress:

Thanks to Chris' hookup, I now can get a guard from the farmer for $200 which Chris and John have kindly said they'll go and chop off since it's down Timaru ways. So score! I'm stoked - get the rest of the parts needed (bumper, trim etc) off Steve and then put it to the insurence co and tell em to play ball. Hopefully they'll see that it can get repaired and come party.

• 2 weeks later...

Drum roll please....

....badumbadumbadumbadum...

IT'S GETTING FIXED!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D

Score!! So stoked right now, straight off the bat, no argueing or anything! Since I sorced the parts for them (thanks to the bro's hookup's!) they said they'll have her back on the road and all fixed up! Getting it done at Colin Davis panelbeaters in Birch Ave - anyone know how good they are? So hopefully will get the whole car panel and painted except for the passengers side two doors and front guard, which I'll pay them to do at the same time hopefully and will have a minter at the end of it!! So, sooo stoked right now. To Chris and Steve, I'll be in touch when I get back from Oz on the 16th of this month. Then the car goes in on the 21st of this month for 2-3 weeks.

• 1 month later...

The parts all arived with a huge thanks to Chris and Steve for their efforts and help.

Just droped it into Collin Davis panel beaters and had a chat with Collin. My initial fears of them doing a quick, bog and paint job have been put aside. He was stoked to see it and said he didn't even need parts, and he could fix it all if he had too. He says he's keen to sell his bussiness and get into restorations and looks like he'll personally be doing the work on it which is awesome. So walked away feeling very happy that they are doing the job. I told him the insurence co is messing me around and he gave me some pointers as well, so that was great that he's onside too. Can't wait for it to be repaired and have it's shiney new coat!

• 3 weeks later...

After a little bit of a kefuffel, it's looking very good. I've been poping in every few days to check on it and am very happy with the quality. They didn't want to use the guard that I got from Chris as it was too rusty and they wasn't much/any rust on the car, but they had to for the tail light hole and one other piece just above the fold line. But they done it properly and sand blasted the parts and fixed them up before splicing them between bit's of the original gaurd. And the dude who worked on it done a awesome panel beating job. Only used minimal bog just to smooth the very last bit out. They have also fixed a few other little dents that were around the place too which is good of them. Took some photo's a few days ago, but stuffed it up and deleted them, so here are some from today.

STH71333.jpg

STH71335.jpg

STH71334.jpg

STH71337.jpg

But yeah, they put it on the chassis straightner and it's as straight as an arrow. Very happy with how it's all going ATM. Just getting a few scrapes on the front gaurd fixed and then they'll be spraying her. They originally talked about "blending it in" but after a call from my insurence broker, they are now doing the full panels which is cool.

Score!!! Just gone and picked it up and took it for a quick purr around town. So good to be driving her again! And very happy with the job they've done. It looks mint!! Will take some photo's when the sun comes out in a few days so we can see what it's like. But yeah, stoked!