Pies 1977 MX31 Mark II build up

pies

discussion: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12818

so. heres kinda why i sold the bluebird. except i was eying up another one at the time, till al sold me his lol i finally got my hands on an mx31. one of my dream cars. Coupe, 6 banger engine. jap bumpers. and most importantly... IRS!!!

P1090002.jpg

P1090001.jpg

P1090003.jpg

P1090004.jpg

Its Spencers old one. and before that, belonged to MyKool. Currently de-regd, but hopefully Spence still has the papers for it? plans are to 1JZ-GE it. SLam the fuck out of it. paint it. and throw some toight wheels on it. oh, and i might get it legal too.

just thought id point out that cars are much cooler with no springs... now i just gotta get off my ass and do the front...

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

so i had the rear sitting about where i want it. only problem is... its on the bumpstops. Which isnt that much of a problem, as the current bumpstops have these massively oversized mounts on them. so a little bit of work will be done there to insure i have adequate travel and no issues when it comes to cert time.

i went ahead and pulled the front end to bits to make things easier to work on. Rust, engine swap. window removal etc...

M01A0112.jpg

then myself and my good friend Seedy Al pulled the engine out. removal was a breeze, except for me trying to figure out why it wouldnt come out at first, then i decided to undoe the shifter and it came out straight away :lol:

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

DSC00447.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

^^ double yuckness :(

Then the windscreen was removed. easy peasy. thanks to Seedy Al for the borrowing of his super fancy tool.

also picked up clutch kit off Seedy Al and it seems to be the right one so far. measurd up gearboxes and it looks like both autobox and w50 come out at 730mm long. mean. no need for custom drive shaft. pretty happy about that :D although plans have changed now and im oing to be using a W40, just because i have one lying around.

M01A0128.jpg

M01A0127.jpg

M01A0126.jpg

Then came the major rust work around the windscreen

Heres the sorta stuff what we began with:

DSCF4548.jpg

DSCF4546.jpg

DSCF4547.jpg

it turned into this sorta thing...

DSCF4549.jpg

DSCF4543.jpg

DSCF4567.jpg

Also... Flange on the grinda

DSCF4529.jpg

Huge thanks to Flange for his welding skills. Lubs you.

DSCF4591.jpg

DSCF4593.jpg

DSCF4595.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

I am now left with this to-do list..

Engine

Make up and fit clutch lines

Attatch gearbox to engine

prep engine for re-installation

install engine and box

Fit manual pedals

remove fuel tank and clean out old fuel/crap

Bodywork

apply body filler to remaining areas around windscreen and sand

Fix rust in both front gaurds

Paint body

Suspension & Brakes

Check all shocks and bushes

replace items that need replacing

Fit new front discs and pads

un-seize front calipers

Interior

Put dash back together

clean bog dust off everything

• 7 months later...

Ok, so heres the latest pics. remembering that i havent had any money to spend on it in the last 2 months i think ive made semi-reasonable progress lol :lol:

Windscreen surround is almost done. Just a bit more filling and sanding to go on that.

10-8-Bodywork--1.jpg

10-8-Bodywork--2.jpg

10-8-Bodywork--6.jpg

Dash re-construction still needs a bit more sanding and filling though. its being a cunt. distorted quite badly while welding unfortunately. so theres a lot of dips and rises to smooth out. may need to take a hammer to a few bits :(

10-8-Bodywork--4.jpg

10-8-Bodywork--5.jpg

Forgot to grab pis of gaurds so will get some next time im down there. Have also started work on the front panel (nose cone?) which is just surface rust. might get it acid dipped (along with a few other parts) instead of sanding it all down, and then just bare metal it. choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. been working on the brakes and body mainly. sanding is boring so i didnt take any pics of that progress. but its coming along nicely.

brakes:

New discs for front

DSC00900.jpg

new vs. old

DSC00899.jpg

Installed:

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

Just need to clean up calipers and possibly replace the seals. Didnt realise it was twin pot till i pulled the pads out lol also trying to explain to the retards at repco that my pads have a hole for an electrical brake pad wear indicator thing. gah. so calipers wont be back in till all those bits are sussed.

Also started pulling interior out to inspect floor and roof and other internal bits. yipee/nah/omgspiders!

heres a pic of it as it sits right now.

DSC00907.jpg

mmmm clean workshop. awesome star courtesy of selleys paint stripper fumes + beer.

• 3 weeks later...

So. Heaps.

Interior has been striped and to my delight, its rust free :D didnt get attacked by any giant man eatng spiders either. Just one big dead cockroach. yummy.

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

Also, for lols, painted some rims...

DSC00917.jpg

Then last night i found out that the new guy in the workshop has some brand new KYB Shocks for a X30 lyaing around, so he has offered them to me. choice!

DSC00939.jpg

Roofline is starting to take shape aswell! few more bog/sanding sessions and she should be good for paint. Fuck its taken ages to get it lookin right!

DSC00940.jpg

and, FINALLY! Brake parts have turned up :D

DSC00944.jpg

so will get brakes together hopefully this weeken and also try and get sanding finished :D yipee n stuff

• 1 month later...