Brocky41"s 1978 Datsun 120Y aka TUFDAT

brocky41

• 5 months later...

Heres bit of an update.

120005qx7.jpg

120018te7.jpg

As most of you would hav seen/heard i gave the track day a go at Taupo.

needs new rear shock (lifting front wheel off the ground) and more power (only hit 120kph down straight)

Ive now sorted the problem with a CA18DE recently purchased with box loom and comp, should be up and running in a few months. Pics up soon.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

parts011mediumcz2.jpg

parts009mediumwj0.jpg

parts008mediumsw0.jpg

Engine conversion finished - had it all certed etc for labour weekend Datto Cruz in Taupo.

Just the interior to tidy up now.

Goes awesome (Tryed G-Tech and did a 16.7 with shit launch at 85mph).

And is even more economical than the A15 that was in it.

It has basically doubled the power from 69hp @ Engine to 145 @ Engine.

Diff - dont know how long it will last.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

check out our mint new custom interior

courtesy of some mungrel h-town fuckers :cry:

jydt100mediumvy2.jpg

jydt101mediumjo9.jpg

jydt099mediumvh2.jpg

jydt098mediumgt0.jpg

nones the stereo

nones the amp

nones the speakers

nones the cds

AND

nones the radar detector

parked up the drive, right outside our bedroom window, all locked even had the club lock on

man i love Hastings

• 4 years later...

POST FROM NZDATSUN - 22nd JUNE 2010

Well as you guys probably all know this thing blew a water line (heater) on the back of the engine after two weeks of being here.

just thought id update you a bit.

Engine and box are out - thought it would be a good time to hit the leaking sump, front and rear main seals and to change all the water hoses etc so i don't run into the same problem. Also the box was on the way out so throwing the spare in which is hopefully better. Also replacing exhaust gaskets as they let go on the big trip down too. :baseballbat: :baseballbat:

dscf0110n.jpg

dscf0109l.jpg

dscf0108h.jpg

Dan also came round and rid the engine of all "not necessary" water hoses, pipes and vacuum lines. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Front struts have been out, again, and I've spruced them up with a lick of paint etc. :thumbsup:

dscf0107d.jpg

Also decided to fix the rust in the firewall which came about due to the "panelshop" replacing the rust with "liquid steel" instead of REAL steel. And filling up the holes in the floor from cutting the gearstick hole to big.

dscf0103h.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

POST FROM NZDATSUN FEB 04 2011

Havent updated for a while - got a few pics

after another failed WOF (man this thing just dont go straight through) ive got some work to do.

Rust (again) small patch inner rear sill and firewall (again) should be easy fix this time

Indicator light covered by Tacho - (wiring RH light to LH switch so dont have to move Tacho

Drag link

Ball Joints

Exhaust - Wof man said its only just over what it came out factory with a ;) in his eye - 1x resonator will fix.

Tyres - Got 35,000-40,000 kms out of the AD07 Yokos - Now have 195/50r15 Bridgestone RE11's (thanks Chris) - time for EXTREME GRIP.

Drag link out

dscf0800i.jpg

Bottom arms and ball joints off - will give everthing a new lick of paint before going back in.

dscf0801.jpg

All the new bits ive been collecting -

Ball Joints - wide option - which this al :thumbsup: ready had.

Inner tie rods - may as well do these as the outers were replaced not that long ago

Drag Link - rebuilt by HBI in Sockburn - 3 day turnaround - and they are tapped.

dscf0802o.jpg

Front springs are getting another coil off to stop the shock being on max extended length all time - will slightly lower the front to :thumbsup: and have got new bearings to use in the tophats as the old ones were poked and missing balls etc.

Am also putting in strut cusions or "bumpstops" as is recomended factory for R31 shocks and will help keep the dirt etc out (they come with rubber cover) and extend shock life.

POST FROM NZDATSUN 04 September 2011

So the Y spat the dummy at the supermarket - died just going into a park - had to get towed by "Broke" home with the 620 using a small tie down which snapped once (terribly embarrassing in traffic)

Blew a 2nd VL commy (2nd hand) fuel pump so had to fit up the surge tank iv had for ages.

Got a new External Pump and Lift pump from work - all Airtek items - The Vl one is the one listed for Vectras and some Alfa's too.

Decided to filter the fuel from the tank, then into the lift pump, up to fill the Surge tank. I have then mounted a Subaru filter (that i had the bracket for of the WRX STI i wrecked out) to filter the fuel from the surge before the External pump. This will hopefully help keep the pumps in good shape for alot longer. (still running a filter before the engine so TRIPLE FILTERS - what does it mean!!)

Wired it all up and took it for a strop - has never run better.

And also both pumps are very quiet - normally the lift/facet pumps are noisy but these are not - cant here running when car is idling even without back seat.

heres the pics

dscf1398d.jpg

dscf1395u.jpg

• Like 1

POST UPDATE FROM NZDATSUN 25 APRIL 2012

Well after a mammoth weekend on the Y, i think shes ready for the Southern Cruise

Started on Thursday night prepping the new gearbox with the Genuine seals and Gasket from Scott @ Cockram Nissan. Got all that sorted then realised the Clutch was gone. Took all the parts off including the flywheel in the hope someone could do something on a Friday for me :?

Rang Tony @ Clutch Systems in town said to send it round and he would sort it. I sent it on a one hour courier from work and no shit, within 2 hours Tony rang and said it was all done - Flywheel grind aswell. Went in at lunch time and he had a standard type plate, usually for a diesel engine and a Heavy Duty pressure plate with release bearing already pressed onto the carrier ready to go.

What a GC, he didnt charge me for the Flywheel grind or the pressing of the release bearing either - highly recommend them for your clutch stuff, Tony really knows his stuff.

imag0426k.jpg

imag0427n.jpg

Was super stoked so got the clutch fork etc back into the box on Friday night and also took the front struts out.

Saturday arvo - had to re lower the engine down by unbolting the crossmember to get the box to go back in and to reach the bolts - bolted the flywheel and clutch in with the help of john and his torque wrench - had the box up on jack under the car - getting dark by now - couldnt get the dam thing to line up to get in the hole, it was jamming on the splines.

Little did i know, thrashing around with the box that the jack had slipped out from under it and when i went to take a rest the box slipped out out and landed on me :shock::o - the little out piece in about the middle of the box got me square in the chest. I was already out of energy in the arms (not that super fit aye) and i couldn't move it of me. Luckily when i yelled out John and Lisa came running out (so did Millie the cat) and i crawled out from under it.

Not the nicest of feelings getting crushed - wont be doing that in a hurry as its still pretty sore.

John and I trucked on and had the bottom pieces removed from the new front shocks (forgot Brendan had the originals machined to suit as they have a stupid spacer on the bottom and you cant screw them into the strut tube. And also got the new wheel bearings fitted to the new discs (1 piece hub and rotor)

So that was the end of Saturday - but i still had alot to get done.

Sunday - up bright and early, all be it very sore - i got the front shocks fitted to the struts with the new discs and pads. When fitting back to car realized i had had the struts round the wrong way this whole time - and a quick Google search revealed the calipers go on the back of the disc not the front (thanks R31 House). Swapped all that shizz round got it all bolted in. New rear shocks bolted up aswell (thanks John -SKDMRX- for modding those too, what a GC).

imag0428z.jpg

Time to have another go at the Gearbox - using different point with the jack it went up at the correct angle and 'bobs your uncle' straight in.

Got everything else like the cross-members and drive-shaft back in - remade the manifold flange gasket (third time lucky i hope)

Went to bleed the clutch up and the dam thing wouldnt (i know your frustration datochriswagon, and after alot of cursing and a thrown hammer at a rusty 260c guard it finally started to bleed up and then proceeded to self bleed the rest of its travel :?::?: - finally fired her up at about 5pm.

Took for a test drive -

Gearbox quiet - tick

No Exhaust leaks - tick

Brakes bedded in and all ok - tick

Suspension tight (stiff as in the back now) - tick

Hooray, finally got it all sorted - there's a few other things to do when i get back from the Southern Cruise like the diff and drive shaft joint but ran out of time to get it done.

Hopefully everything holds together on the cruise - i don't want to do another gearbox for a while - definitely widening the tunnel as much as pos on the 1200 to make removal etc easy.

imag0429z.jpg

The left over boxes - have been collecting this over the last year.

Did the wheel alignment tonight - just needs a clean (got a few cobwebs to blow out literally).

John and i have had a clean up in the shed too

imag0413a.jpg

WOW i havnt updated this in a long time since FEB 2009 whooppps - will have to catch the thread up when i can but anyway.....

Well i got a few things done today and one was slotting the FJ20et in the space where the CA18 was.

Stocked it actualy fits in the hole as they just dont in a 1200.

Looks to clear all the major stuff although its sitting on the crosmember so will need some scolloping (mmmm scollops)

Clears up some much needed room in the shed now too lol - ive been going through all my stuff and there is lots to get rid of - parts for cars i dont even own now lol.

dsc0026mq.jpg

dsc0027ul.jpg

dsc0028dh.jpg

dsc0029kc.jpg

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/24645-brocky41s-1978-datsun-120y-aka-tufdat/?hl=tufdat

• 9 months later...

Right so heres a couple of updates,

As some of you know we brought a Lifestyle Block in West Eyreton and have been here for a month now, and it has a decent sized garage for toys.

hh23.jpg

uwhd.jpg

6w3e.jpg

Its going to be alot of work, so in-between doing stuff around the house / unpacking / throwing stuff etc, ive been tinkering on the 120Y.

4zkn.jpg

ljq4.jpg

So far ive sold off all the suspension and just have the CA18de/t fitting kit to sell (any takers).

And ive started stripping it for easy access to fit new suspension etc without damaging too much.

Guards and bonnet off

fu1o.jpg

f1fk.jpg

FJ still in the hole so that had to come out

fu1o.jpg

s62i.jpg

yw7h.jpg

zfm7.jpg

Mocking up the new front cross member from an a31 Cefiro

owjp1.jpg

ta0b.jpg

d5ui.jpg

9ry3.jpg

gkzn.jpg

It actually fits quite well - not to far away from the mounts in the chassis, will need a bit of cutting still though and i got some standard S15 front struts for $1 of TM just to throw in without springs just to see how it all looks together.

Ive got ceffy front hubs etc like the ones in the pic too.

y8b4.jpg

Discuss

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=24645

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Shitty pics - but the master mind has been doing a bit of cutting and welding - xmember in (test fit) and i bolted the arms and hubs up.

v1ab.jpg

esxs.jpg

dvuw6.jpg

Gonna need flares and alot of it when we get some new wider wheels (ie negative offset) lol as my old wheels are 15x7 @ +38 offset.

yxan.jpg

1b1y.jpg

m646.jpg

4tva.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So i found a Rack - looks like it should all work properly and doesn't fowl on anything yet.

I also managed to find a rear subframe and arms to have a play around with in the rear, not much time to work on this of late due to chicken coop building.

pKA0vF.jpg

ZpyRIG.jpg

4Zm8AZ.jpg

KYJOjA.jpg

RAsFD5.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Little bit of an update

Scored this laurel on the cheap - mostly complete but with all the bits i need.
Didn't realize they still did a drum brake independant rear in these - lucky i have hubs etc from a disc brake ceffy.

DSC_0087_zpsxxcr07eh.jpg

DSC_0100_zpsdkqissbz.jpg

Next out will be the front subrame complete for measure ups and test fitting as ive only had bit and pieces to work with so far.

Anyone need an RD28 lol

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16697 - PROJECT DISCUSSION.

• Like 4