Seedy Al's 1983 Datsun Bluebird 910 Japanese Inspired

Seedy Al

So,k

Seeing as it would apper i havnt posted anything on any of my project build up pics or anything, I thought I better make it look like I am doing something with my time

So here is my 1983 Datsun bluebird.

NZ New l20, 5 speed. Bought it for a song in my opinion. Nothing to special to look at, electric windows are prolly the most pimp thing......

Anyway, the plans, Fix and small rust parts, Paint it Toyota Britsh Red, Lower it plent of my 14x8's, Oil cooler for the front, make a front lip/spook. Also, change the mirrors from the doors to the wings

ANd then get a cert / wof/reg

And destroy the streets Of Lower Hutt with yet another ride

So pics

Nothing special

P1010587.jpg

Just your simple NZ new 910 bluebird, non hard top, which is what i prefer

P1010583-1.jpg

Started to get stripped for paint job/panel

P1010588.jpg

This is where the bluebirds come to play

P1010585.jpg

trial Fit of the Rim

flabba.jpg

Discussion Here

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11062

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

rock and roll.

Got the rims back with tires today to trial fit

14x8, with 175 65.

Mean pics

Bluebirdwheels01.jpg

and the rear

Bluebirdwheels03.jpg

Bluebirdwheels02.jpg

Mild stretch

Bluebirdwheels04.jpg

Also have skyline shocks to mock up in the back for suspention. so can work out if im going to need to cut and flare shit.

Dope

Allan

so been busy, got the wheels and suspention in the back, for some reason its sitting higher than i predicted..... so will adress that issue.

But anyway, its all coming along, body is all stripped ready for panel work, so onc I have finished re assembling pies new motor in the car, I will start some work on the doors etc.

Pics

Im hapapy with dish, might need to gently flare the gaurds a little, At the moment, the guards are sitting on the tires.

bluebirddoom04.jpg

bluebirddoom03.jpg

other side

bluebirddoom02.jpg

Negative Camber Riding Action!

bluebirddoom01.jpg

So, thats it for now, just need to get it lower. and the front

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

not much of an update.

Have moved the car to work, and have fatted the mean springs for the rear, have good travel so should get warrent and cert.

Now just looking for softer springs for the front coil overs...... hopefully find some in the week end

Also got all 4 of my wheels finshed now, 14x8s rock

P1010122.jpg

anyway

Peace

Allan

realised I never posted these up!

So I built coil overs for the front of it

I think in the end they only ended up ike 50mm shorter....... maybe not enough, but will see, problem is not having any easy way of running spring holders (for the life of me I cant remeber the name for the little spings that do nothing but keep the big spring capitve)

So I may need to look into lowering spings or something.

Anyway, Pics and story

these are factory bluebird 910 struts, and I am using Toyota ae-92 strut inserts

First I cut the strut, and figured what length I wanted. I then had to get spacers made up that sit inside the shock housing to stop the insert moving around (insert is a bit smaller in diameter)

Then I welded the coil sleve onto the strut housing (the sleve is pretty much what holds the hole thing together)

bluebirdcoilovers10.jpg

Then, I had to firgure out a way to hold the spring at the top, so I used what nissan used and cut a bit of the side of the strut insert (I also had to drill the hole in the top hat bigger, as the toyota inserts are bigger)

bluebirdcoilovers09.jpg

toyota ae92

bluebirdcoilovers08.jpg

Nissan

bluebirdcoilovers07.jpg

then once that was drilled, I welded a few blobs on there to match the strut., so now the both turn together like they are ment to.

bluebirdcoilovers04.jpg

Then, I had to cut the honda spring i was using (out of an 80's accord) to the right length. The problem with this spring is though is that it is may to stiff, and wont get a cert.

bluebirdcoilovers06.jpg

Then that was about it.

all together, it just makes it easier to run shorter shocks and wider wheels.

bluebirdcoilovers01.jpg

bluebirdcoilovers02.jpg

bluebirdcoilovers03.jpg

Now I am on the look out for a softer spring for the front, to lower it and make it less stiff

Allan

Seedy Al's Chop SHop

Also, just bought these, to go with my MILD boso (hahahaha) Look

39607802_full.jpg

Pretty cheap, and all the guard lips are little rusty anyway, so its killing two birds with one stone.

With the front I should be able to bolt them on striaght away and fill the guards, as the 14x8's stick out a fair bit already.

But the rears are just fitting in the factory guards with all the camber, so I may buy some bolt on wheels spacers, probably 15mm ones, but will see, if I think I need 25mm then i will

Allan

So basicly will look like that, Red with Black flares, silver centered wheels with mega polished lip, But run a big black strip that comes to a point on the bonnet, with maybe a star, and also a 'racing number' on the front doors, also in black

IMG_80052.jpg

Any thoughts

allan

• 2 months later...

wow, its been for ever since i updated this

Basicly, I decided flares would be gay, and really hard as the rear is already to low, more rear wheels offset would equal big cuts into the center of my tires

So. New Plan

Running the 14x8's on the rear and 14x7's on the front, which all fit perfect.

I also have all the suspention pretty much dead on, just the front still needs to 2 down about 20mm.....

So given that I decided to start making this thing more japanese.

So i started making a front spoiler...

the plan:

Make a cardboard profile of the front valence and guards where it will bolt to.

Trace the profile onto a piece of wooden board, about 200x2000x10

Cut Wood with JigSaw

Routor Front so wood has smooth front edge

Secure wood to vehicle.

Fiber glass over wood and shape up sides

Make mold of product

Make losts of spoilers to break

Win

I started by buying some cardboard, about 1000 micron think.

Next, i cut that into strips

Next, i used a tool we have at work for taking profiles of panels, to get the outline of where the spiler will mount to on the front valence.

asI took each section, I traced it onto a piece of cardboard, cut it out, and stuck it to the car, allowing enough to have overlap to give it strength.

Once that was all dont, I removed it.

Pics of work done

All ready Started

spoiler01.jpg

spoiler02.jpg

spoiler03.jpg

Getting profile

spoiler04.jpg

spoiler05.jpg

Tracing to cardboard

spoiler06.jpg

Cut out peice next to panel