A-Series Mini..Crank Pulley Differences between 998 and 1275

Chrome_GT

My 1275 pulley is hitting radiator bracket bolt,can i use a 998pulley

I recently fitted a 1275 into my 1971 mini 1000. Problem is the larger pulley of the 1275 engine is so damn close to the radiator bracket bolts that they grind on some occasions. Very disgusting noise!!!!

Can I use the pulley of my 998 on the 1275. My guess is the larger pulley was to improve the harmonics of the crank since there is no offcentre mass to improve balance. Read somewhere there is a cushion in the 1275 pulley. Can anyone confirm that they have used a 998 pulley without blowing there crank to bits? Any links or info is greatly appreciated.

My other options are to remove the bracket bolts and machine them down so the heads are smaller. Or replace with button head screws or something along those lines. Anyone else had this problem after doing a conversion. What was your fix?

Note I am running the 998 radiator and therefore have the bracket where the shroud bolts down onto the top of the engine mount with two screws.

Cheers

Ray

oh i know why

change that whole rad shroud down to where it bolts to the engine mount, they're a different design and wont foul.

even though your rad is wider (front to back in car) it wont hit the bonnet on a roundnose.

ive got pics of mine if you want, and will mash them up if your confused, basically, on the 1000cc ones they dont have those 2 bolts

Yip round nose. Gutted. My radiator is brand new :{ I know what your saying though. I do have one of those brackets with horizontal pin. You sure it doesn't hit? I'm pretty sure trial fitted one of those rads and it fouled against something on the body. Can't remember what though.

Hey ke20 - did you use the horizontal pin rad mount or the twin bolt rad mount. Theminiman - You have one of those supercool twin core rads eh?

ive got a 4 core rad, is yet to have been in the car however. i did succesfully have a 1275 rad (which IS bigger than 1000ccc rad) in there sweet as, if it was to fould on something, it would have fouled on the little lip the bonnet sits in, at the front of the car. or the rad cap would hit the bonnet, neither did on mine though.

this is exact same setup that i have/had in car succesfully with 1275 rad

img1905ik1.jpg

Cool. Ok Will keep that in mind if i continue to have trouble. I have some spare 1300 radiators so will hold on to those for a while. Will be giving my 1300 body away soon to clear the driveway. If you know anyone in chch who needs a shell let me know.

I loosened off the two bolts going from the engine Mount bracket to the bottom casing. Then jacked up the end of the engine and retightened. Gained a max of 5mm clearance which is heaps in comparison to what it was. Cheers for your help.