Yowzers ever growing collection of Toyota Crowns.

Yowzer

Alright. This here is a pre-update.

Car has been running pretty mint for the last year, driven all over the island, towed numerous heavy objects, been slept in, drunken in, partied in etc

But now it's time for some upgrades.

The engine is feeling pretty tired, the gearbox is on its last legs. Diff is making all sorts of unsatisfactory noises.

Dodgy bits of rust are annoying me, paint is sun damaged, interior needs a revamp and electrics are a bit on the downhill side of things..

Soo...

This winter the car will be torn down in to lots of little tiny pieces and cleaned up, replaced, upgraded etc.

Basic plans include a new 5/7M-GE (5M head on 7M block), possibly with some form of forced induction, a new gearbox, and new diff.

Rust repairs, new / better condition panels and doors

Upgrade to a lot of the electrics, install an alarm

Hopefully get a new coat of paint and chrome on the outside, and recover the seats.

Pretty much everything on the list I posted a year ago...

I am wanting to get it back on the road and certed come summertime, but that probably won't be possible :doubt:

But oh well.

Anyway, some goodies I have acquired, and to fill my image quota.

DSC01350.jpg

DSC01349.jpg

8)

• 8 months later...
This winter the car will be torn down in to lots of little tiny pieces and cleaned up, replaced, upgraded etc.

Lulz, it's summer, the most i've done so far is open the bonnet.

Anyway, in the mean time I have been putting some mild work into this thing. Unfortunately I haven't actually got a photo of the car anywhere, only a few bits of it..

Anyway it's a 1990 LS130something, which had for whatever reason been refitted with the mighty 3L. Which is slow as shit.

Bought it in auckland, drove it to Napier, slept in it, bought a turbo for it, ran a bearing in it, mashed it in a garage and left it for a decent amount of time. But as Wagnats is fast approaching I decided that it is probably a good idea to try and get the bastard back on the road again.

20122010096.jpg

The current 3L, with a shattared bearing.

20122010095.jpg

New engine block, awaiting a head

20122010097.jpg

Turbo. Yah

20122010098.jpg

Ain't EFI, would much per the D-TURBO pipe that the non efi models had.

Engine is almost ready to be pulled out, and onwards to the fun job of dismantling and slapping parts on the new block.

Should be fun

Oh yeah, the other one has some rust in it

04102010017.jpg

And a CT26 turbo sitting on the exhaust manifold

04102010015.jpg

And a new 5/7M-GE sitting on the floor. Fresh rebuild of a 5M head on a 7M block.

04102010016.jpg

At some stage I will combine all these items into something. Except the hole, in which I will plug with newspaper and reapply the bog back on.

That's all for now, expect another update in 6 odd months time.

• 4 weeks later...

More news on the grey whale.

Hopefully I'll have the engine back in the hole and running by the weekend. Not too sure what I'm gonna do about the exhaust yet though

15012011114.jpg

There's some shitty 3L diesel blocks, ya know, just chillin..

More importantly however is this

17012011115.jpg

Which is an almost assembled engine. Awaiting a few final parts and that bastard can start vomiting thick black smoke all over everyone!

Yeah.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a fully assembled 3L-T, awaiting installation.

24012011116.jpg

And mostly installed.

24012011118.jpg

Right, the plan was to have this thing running for Wagnats. Which it sort of was..

However the fuel pump decided to be a major faggot, and did a very poor job of putting fuel in the engine. The result was a 1200rpm readline with a lot of coughing and spluttering.

After ignoring the car for a few weeks, I figured it was about time I actually swapped the pump with my known good one.

So I did.

14022011120.jpg

Yup, car finally runs, and it runs fucking fine!

I haven't yet played with the boost or fuel, but it still has a noticeable increase in power. Once I install the pyro and boost gauges, I should be able to tweak it to a bloody good state.

14022011119.jpg

'Till next time.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So despite it being over a year now since I've posted an update on this car, I have actually been making a bit of progress on it. Mostly just small unexciting things.

In any case the car itself is still largely untouched, but everything that will soon be bolted into it is coming along nicely. I seem to have lost a few of the photos though.

So anyway, just to clarify my plans, I have a 3L 6M-GE (more or less, it's actually a 5MGE head on a 7M block) all freshly rebuilt, a Lysholm supercharger off a Mazda something to slap on the side, and a somewhat customised Megasquirt II to run it all.

So the car still looks like this

18042011130.jpg

The MS started out like this

14092011176.jpg

Then ended up with some jumper wires.

01102011184.jpg

A lot of jumper wires. Not pictured is the external add on board thingie I made to run semi sequential injection and wasted spark ignition. And stuff.

Injectors look like this

30102011187.jpg

Top are factory 5MGE units, rated at 182CC, bottom units are from an RX7 and rated at 550CC. The picture is quite boring.

Annoyingly, the 5/7/6MGE still had the 7M lower cambelt cover on it, which meant shit did not line up. But that was a simple swap. Until I decided that everything needed to be painted. I haven't got pictures of things all shiny and painted yet, so here's the engine with pieces missing from it.

26092011183.jpg

And here's a clean piece of intake manifold.

23092011182.jpg

Yuh

Anyway, I've kinda lost track of where I was going with this post due to watching dinner and eating TV, but whatever.

Next update will hopefully include a fully assembled engine ready to be slotted into the vehicle. I would really like to drive it sometime next year. It's already been over a year since I last drove it...

Depressing.

Oh well.

'Till next time

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Keen observers will notice a minor issue with dipstick placement. However I am not really planning on turboing it, I'd much rather the supercharger, but either way the dipstick is in the way.

Meh, I'll figure something out in the future.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So just because I need something to take to Nats, I bought this thing.

The idea was to use it as a parts car for my MS65, as it has goodies such as larger / vented discs, rear disc brakes, 4speed trans, power steering and some other goodies I could transplant. However the car was in way too good a condition to wreck. So now we are working on getting it road legal.

DSC01913.jpg

Quite a list..

So far we have replaced the alternator, replaced the drivers door window, repaired the right hand guard mirror, replaced the passenger door handle, fucked around with a portion of the electrics, wheels are currently getting painted + tyres, a new windscreen is hopefully on its way and bound to be some other things as well.

It is still a while off completion, but the engine starts 1st pop, the trans seems to cooperate (on a very short drive around the block at least) and there's no unusual noises coming from anywhere.

DSC01910.jpg

DSC01912.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

The paint should come up pretty bloody slick after a cut/polish.

In the meantime, I haven't touched the other car in quite a while.

Oh well.

Mk.

More progress.

Tyres fitted, wheels painted, wheels fitted.

Bumpstops removed, shortened, and reinstalled.

Door speakers fouled on the windows, which is why the drivers window shattered in the 1st place, so they were both removed.

Fixed electric window switch on rear door.

Sorted out most of the interior electrics

Fixed water leak

Removed "RUFF N RAW" sticker, installed Oldschool.co.nz sticker

So there's a large amount of fuck all left to do.

I'll snap some photos in the morning. The car needs a hell of a clean though. Gravel driveway + cats = very dirty car.

• 4 months later...

The above car has now gone to Keegan, you can continue to follow its progress here

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=32843

On the other hand we drove down to Wairoa to pick up another MS110 that had been fitted with a 1UZ. Unfortunately this car set itself on fire. By the looks of it the vapor line from the fuel tank was in the way of the exhaust, and promptly threw shit at a fan.

DSC02083.jpg

DSC02084.jpg

Awesome fire damage

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

DSC02089.jpg

DSC02090.jpg

DSC02091.jpg

Pretty blurry due to camera being shit at focus.

DSC02097.jpg

Pretty sure all the burnt crap that covered me during the stripdown is giving me all sorts of cancer...

Anyway, here's how the 1UZ was mounted. Not quite as tidily as I had thought.

Engine mounts

DSC02099.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

DSC02102.jpg

New mounting points welded directly to the crossmember and factory engine mounts used. Couldn't see why custom engine mounts weren't used, but meh

And the exhaust manifold

DSC02098.jpg

Yum.

Anyway, I bought this car for the suspension and steering components. It came with a few other goodies such as a large alloy radiator and a few other bits and pieces, but the engine is pretty much fucked.

The rest of the car is pretty much fucked too. Also, being the hardtop model, jack all of it swaps over to the black MS110 which is a bit of a bum. However it did come with a factory stereo...

Till next time

• 4 weeks later...

So this is what I'm going for engine wise.

engine_5.jpg

engine_7.jpg

If anyone can tell me what that supercharger there is, then cool. Ideally I'd like the Lysholm 1200AX but the one I saw for sale on the Tard was $2,500. Bit out of my budget for the time being.

• Like 2