Toyota engine swap q

thegreatestben

Hey,

Well i've bought an MA65 celica/supra/xx off've tm for 1400 bucks and its pretty tidy. Currently its got The 'M' in the car, and I've got a 1ggte i want to put in.

Now the next shape celica/supra shares the same chassis, and some also came with a G series motor apparently.

What I want to know is can I just buy the Subframe/Crossmember off've a G series supra/celica/xx and it "should" bolt in?

Is that the right thing to ask for if i wanted to buy one as i've found a car being wrecked that has a G (apparently)

Cheers

hmm just to confirm what i'm reading apparently this car

Celica01.jpg

Shares the same Chassis as

32895209_full.jpg

I'm reading information such as

1982: The second generation Supra is introduced. Still based on the Celica platform the new Supra

And According to Wiki There is a G series equal,

graph.jpg

this link also provides hope http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... Region=100

Just need to confirm whether the mounts and crossmembers are interchangeable, Dave (RomanV) had a stroke of luck with his carina and having the Beams bolt in so fingers crossed its the same case with the Celica

4cyl and 6 cyl versions have about 100mm difference in wheelbase in both 2nd gen (*A40) and 3rd gen (*A60) celicas. The extra 100mm is in the rear half of the engine bay on the 6cyl models, they have longer guards and bonnets.

To fit a GA61 x member (with rack steering) will depend on the MA45 chassis rails being the same width as ga61. The other parts should be relatively easy with a bit of fabrication and interchanging parts. steering column being the major probably.

The 1G engine may drop straight onto the M x-member. Have a measure up or test fit it, it could work. :)

The gearbox xmember will need looking at, W50 is different to W55 mounting.

Well thats good, because the car is a 6 cyl 2L so fitting another shouldnt be too much of a mission. I was hoping the swap would be easy as this will be the first time i've attempted anything like this.

I figured it would be a good project to start with cos its something a bit different and its all toyota stuff which i'm fairly familiar with.

I'm going to get the car on the 17th so hopefully I'll have some more definates answers once i've had a good comparison of the G to the M etc...

Im pretty sure youll find there the same, i have a z10 soarer that has a 1gge and it shares the same chassis as the ma61, i read a guy made 1uz mounts for these and he said it didnt matter weather it was 1g or 5m.

I might have a 5m-w bellhousing flywheel and clutch if you wanted to stick with that...

But yea the 1ggte would be lighter and responds good to large turbo!

Atlast some hope haha. I think the M will have to go as even the owner of the vehicle is keen to see the G go in there. He personally imported it and is the only nz owner, he has told me that it really deserves a bit more power.

I've been reading up on the subject and I think the 1g-gte is the best option seeing as I've got the motor incl. gearbox and loom box etc... its a gen 3 motor so its the 210hp version.

I think i'd just need to do a few little bits and pieces, as to my knowledge the car is in pretty good condition. its all rather exciting, looking forward to having a car that suprises a few unsuspecting people.