Seedy Al's Mega Crown Cruiser!!!!

Seedy Al

ANyway, have had this freaken crown kicking around my house for what seems like ever,

the Story goes as is...

bought the crown of a chap from Hamilton, Sam!!, who is pretty well known up there for his rides.

So I got id down here to Wellington after flying up there and driving it back home. And I tell you, god bless Cigars. About half way down the trip i became crazy tired, adn looked through my bag that I had with me, and found a few cigars. man, they wake you up good.

So I had the car, and drove it for a while, using massive abmounts of gas. Then removed the rear springs, to see what it looked like, man, huge improvment!!

Next was a set of white wall flappers......... wow, mega massive super improvment!

So I drove it like that for a while, waiting to be pulled over, and decided to quit while ahead. So in whent the factory springs agian.

Then I blew the gear box up, to make a long story short, always check your gear box and diff levels on new cars you buy!

So from there it has been sitting at my house, out the front of my house, and in the car port.

Removed the gear box, and found its a side shift.... IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO GET A TOYOTA SIDE SHIFT 4 SPEED PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!

So it sat some more, and now, now its time to fix the shit paint on it, while no one is at work for a few weeks.

So this wills tart with me doing a build up of the paint job, and a few other things.

Anyway, here is an old pics, when it was desprung in the rear

100_0128.jpg

Allan

Spiffing

here is a very crap impression of what it will look like, once I get round to making the spats, man, thats going to be a cunt of a job.

Also, its not going to be blue any more, its going to be the only colour it ever should be, Satin Black.

crap.jpg

Mint

Anyway, yes I reaslise Flawless has the same car in matt black, but trust me, they will be very diffrent

Seedy Allan

haha, so got the car to my work today, very happy with the tow, evryone was looking, so that reminded me why I love this car so much

Anyway

Pics as it was when I got it to work

P1010036.jpg

P1010034.jpg

Nothing special.

Got into it with a few beers, and got as far as stripping off all chrome and everything to the back past the doors, so tomorrow moringing i will finish the back, and then its tim to destroy the barstard fucked paint !!!

HAHAHAHA

Anyway, pics of how it is now

P1010043.jpg

P1010045.jpg

And it would apper the original colour was tyhat cool blue silver, bummer, I loved that colour

Too Bad

Allan

So, day 2 of the super mega xtra paint job

Got as much done as I said I would, although i dont know if its still enought, the damn paint on this thing is super super thick, although it is prtty damn straight and rust free, so Im very happy

Anyway, progress pics

P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010049.jpg

Super!

Seedy

Spenyt another day on the whore, got paint stripper on and off on every panel, and have started using the DA sander with 60 grit to get off whats left, have got as far as the roof, boot both rear guards, whole right hand side, and the rear door on the left hand side, so as of right now, all thats left is front left door, bonnet, front and rear valences and the skuttle.

Wont be long now, should be in primer easy for tomorrow even

Allan

Ok.

Fucken Progress, after all the shitting around with christmas and all that crap, after 4 days of work, I have finally got somewhere.

its In Primer!!!

To tell the story, I will use these visual aids. Damn, the worst kind of aids........ :cry:

Firstly, here is a picture of all the paint pretty much stripped off, as you can see from the pics, this car has had no patches for rust welded in ever. But there was a bit of bog where its had a few dents

Anyway

Pics

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010021.jpg

And yes, I know it looks wicked in the bare metal, and if I felt I could leave it like that I would, but I still want the car to exist in 2 years, so paint it is

Anyway, after I was happy that enough stupid paint had come off, On went the rust kill, and metal prep.

PC010208.jpg

Makes the steel go a blue/ yellow colour, which is a nice coat of Zinc. great Aye!

P1010025.jpg

P1010023.jpg

After that, was getting it in the booth, and maskeing it all up, so I dont paint my windows and seats, because that would be super mega Gay, Like Pies ( :D ) kidding buddy

P1010028.jpg

After that, i wiped the whole thing down with wax and grease remove, to get rid of oils and stuff that will cause rust.

Then

It was painting time!!!!!!! Fucken finally

Here in the bottom pics, you will see a craon covered in Primer. Lovely

P1010032.jpg

P1010033.jpg

And hell its ben a long as day. 9 to 9 to get it done before I go away tomorrow.

SO i will now let the primer harden up over the next 5 days when Im up north, which will hopefully make it decent to sand,

And after looking at the body, and how rust free and stuff it really is, I have decided i wont be filling in any of the dents or anything that I took all the bog out of. Im just going to sand the primer, maybe fill in a few holes where the ariel and wing mirror mounts were, and then just paint the thing in Satin black.

I think it will ad charcter to the car, with the other mods I am doing, and will ad to the rat/ custom/ Seedy Al look about the car.

Alos I will probably do a prpper complete respray in a few years, now that I know what the body is really like

Anyway, I need to pack, and sleep and then drive up to Coromandle tomorrow, at 7 oclock, damn busy life

Allan

ok, so I got the few holes I needed filling in done today, and I started sanding the mega body down, most the panels are done, but just need to get the detail work done hard, so we will how that goes,

Sorry for lack of pics, although, there wasnt much to see, will get pics tomorrow, if all goes to plan, will have colour on tomorrow

Allan

Ok, massive update

Finally got the paint on the car. and well, im kinda not super happy with the colour, its alot more gloss than I was hoping, so its kinda weird, it looks like I tried to paint it gloss, and sucked at painting it, Which wasnt the case!

Paint went on really nice, not a single run, and considering this is my second attempt at a paint job, thats pretty good, its alittle oragne peely, but you cant see that in the pics,

SO anyway, its descission time, I can either sand the paint down flat, and the will give it a smooth flat finish. Or I can sand it down, and respray it with a coat or two of the same paint, but with more flatting base.

Im not to sure yet, all i know is that i need to get windows in it tomorrow, and hopefully my bose will let me keep it there for a week while i sort out what to do.

Any Lessons learned.

1: never skimp in the primer, even if you need it for another project, as 2 coats is never enough, and spot priming is a cunt

2: Always consualt a colour chart when buying paint, I didnt, I ordered it over the phone, and was expecting satin black to be more, well satin. more flat I should say.... I wonder what there flat black looks like... bah anyway, whats done is done.

3: never commit to do a project like this over new years, I had 5 perk jobs i could have done instead, and also, its a good way to destroy your social life over this socialable peroid.

Anyway, Pics

Firstly, Pic of car, after sanding down all the main panels with a dustless sander, leaving the edges so I dont rub through (Much)

P1010037_1.jpg

P1010039_1.jpg

Car, fully wet sanded, ready for spot priming.

P1010040_1.jpg

Second guide coat which is a carbon based powder that you wipre over the body, once you have sanded all the powder away, the paint is flat.

P1010044_1.jpg

My Hands while wet sanding the whole body again after spot priming. I had been sanding so much I have gone through my skin on 5 fingers. Thats when they start bleeding

P1010046_1.jpg

Blood on the ground

P1010047_1.jpg

After second wet sand, and wax and grease remover wiped over it, ready for re-masking up the windows

P1010050_1.jpg

And finally the paint, Looks pretty damn gloss in the pics, and you really really cant see the orange peels, but hey, its done, it just kinda looks a bit silly, because it really makes the dents stick out, eh.

P1010053_1.jpg

P1010056.jpg

Cant wait to get the masking off the car, to see what its really going to look like....... but I need to wait for atleast 12 hours for paint to dry., or even upto 24 hours!!!!

Good thing I have the heater on in the booth to warm it all up, and speed up the process

Mint

Well, tomorrow is another day (will take pics then too)

Allan

so, here is a lovely couple of pics of the car, after i de masked it, and also, lowered the back 2 inches, yay.

I was going to re assemble the doors and suck today, But have decided im going to sand the paint down so its not orange peely, and then from there, decided wether to polish it so its gloss, or leave it sanded and flat...

So Time will tell.

Anyway

Pics

P1010070.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010064.jpg

Raaaar! Crown all up in your grill

Allan

so, the painter are doing there thing, and should be super gloss and polished soon, so yay, now everyone is going to say shit like, why didnt you fix the dents, and im just going to have to say, Fuck off you fucken whore before I stab you in the eye with a mini piston.

Word

Allan

So!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how things have changed.

Like The paint!, so it got all Sanded and flattend down to be ready to get the mean polish job, but then, everyone one at work had a big disscussion one time after work with a few beers, and the conclusion, 2 liters of 2k matt black was ordered, and yesterday, it got the shot

So heres a pick of how I really wish it had looked after the first paint job

P1010073.jpg

P1010076.jpg

And we even had to flatten this paint out even more as well, as it was still kinda glossy, so I dont know, paint supplyers suck

But i am happy, very happy even, it looks perfect, not sure if pics do it justice, but its there.

So now its time for the bid re-assembly, and deciding wether to put all the chrome on it, or just some of it..........

ALlan

Got the tail light and rear cover on today. Also the the rear bumper, man, its starting to look real good with parts on it. Haha, its so annoying, went to assemble the doors, and realised that the quarter light window surrounds are still blue, oh well. We need to paint something matt black at work for the boss anyway, so it will get them done at the same time.

Mega

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

so after massive searching, from everywhere including horpito, I cant find a gear box the same as mine, Have found a few that probabaly have the same internals, but I opened the box today, and the housing has been chewwed out by the counter shaft seizing and turning in it.

So the original box is totally fucked. And i had this w-50 with holden bell housing, and the bell housing is for some other holden motor, and the two housing cant be changed, so im screwed.

Conclusion, finish the re assembly of the car, and put it in storage for a bit while i sort the rest of my stuff out, maybe just bite the bullet and buy a 1uz with a w-55 and just fit that in.

We will see

Damn cars

• 8 months later...

Ok, so, hell........ its been a long time since i Posted under thiss build

i finally got a gear box, so fucken YAY!

Have fit it, and onyl thing I had to do was piss about with the clutch fork and slave cylinder, becasue my old boss borrowed mine, and never gave it back.

Also, Becasue I had lost all hope, I had thrown away the zaust, so Have been working at building one of those as well,

So pics

Crown at work and at lock up

crownhoist.jpg

crownhoist02.jpg

crownlockup.jpg

crownlockup02.jpg

zaust action

zmount.jpg

zmountnew01.jpg

Pretty exseevie mount, but dont want it to move around much

zmountnew02.jpg

Parts

zparts.jpg

And my twin tips, stay tuned, Sould all be finised and drving by end of weekend hopefully........

!

Allan

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Holy crap an update!!!!!!!!\\

Um, basicly i managed to boil over the motor to the point of siezing,

turns out the holden water temp sender doesnt work so well with the crown temp gauge..

Blew a radiator hose so fixed that, got it running, for about a minute and it stopped again, thanks to KK's advice looks like the condensor and maybe some wiring has been over heated and crapped out, along with the head gasket, so next step is a new head gasket and eletrics

Bought the gasket set, cost me $21 for a complete head set, pretty damn good in my opionon.

Any pies is about to help me tow it to work, so should have it cruising again in a day or so, Mean.

Will include pics

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just a bit of an update on how the engine work went, not very exciting but hey

Got the motor apart, took f all being a simple holden, Not too much trace of a blown head gasket but did one anyway due to very little price (cost me $20 for a whole head set, pretty sure I already mentioned that but hey)

Anyway got old one off and new one on pretty easy, also fittted new dissy electirs as these seemed stuffed, and a new thermo stat. While it was apart cleaned up block abit also.

Found a rusted out frost plug too, so replaced those also.

Setting tappets was mean, basicly set them while running and turn them down to the lash has just gone, then another full revolution a quater turn at a time waiting for the lifters to bleed up again, was fun and messy at the same time

So its a runner, but when i had it going there seemed to be a crackling noise, so i have a feeling the head might be cracked, so im going to slam some block seal in there too.

anyway pics

Motor as of when it got pushed into workshop

P1010113.jpg

P1010114.jpg

Head off (note epic bore scoring from siezedness)

P1010115.jpg

P1010116.jpg

A head

P1010117.jpg

A block

P1010118.jpg

P1010119.jpg

Head back on with manifolds (got painted for good measure)

P1010120.jpg

Just about to set tappets

P1010121.jpg

And also just a pic of the car and the exhuast as I noticed I never posted that up

P1010122.jpg

P1010123.jpg

Will post up on report of block seal tomorrow

There is also some random rubbing noise so will get it on the hoist and find out what that is.

Cant wait to have this going again so I can get onto the next one, which will most likely be the track thrasher corona for track day

yeah

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

So after getting motor running sweet, I noticed there was a bit of an epic noise coming from somewhere,

SO i thought it might be the fan hitting the radiator, so pulled it off and it was still there, which was a bit of a bum

SO had a jack up, and turns out it was what I origianlly thought it was ages ago

the hand brake setup was hitting the drive shaft.

Must have gotton worse due to the new engine mounts

So the best solution I could come up with, was to make a spacer to go in the gear box mount

So yeah, no more noise, though it does rub on the tunnel a little now but not the end of the world.

I also rewelded up the drivers seat mount, as that keeps getting worse

So as far I am concerned its prettty much all sorted now, which means

On to the next one! haha

Anyways

a few little pics

Just the crown in the air checking out mount

P1010130.jpg

And the 12mm spacer I made for mounts

P1010136.jpg

And in the car

P1010138.jpg

So yay,