why does my engine keep screwing plugs ?

excort

if you wirebrush your plugs tomuch can it stuf them? i carnt seem to get a nice spark and there only like 2months old im sure my carbs running really rich dont help the situation but ive cleand them up really good and the spark seems to not be going across to the prong thing it kinda sparks on the cermamic bit around it any ideas ? its not my leads or anything caurse i can get a inch spark when earthing the plug a inch away from anything metal .

spark can break down through leads which *seem* fine. they can fracture the conductor etc.

if you chuck new plugs in does it run mint as?

I'd never wirebrush plugs. perhaps a cold burn on a gas plant to burn oil off or some shit on a car that fouls them up, but at $2.50 or so a plug why even bother?

not running champions are you?

other thing to consider is the heat range. possibly too hot?

possibly eh. hah

they don't build them like they used to. not really worth pissing round with for the sake of like $10 - $15 for a full set.

If it were me I'd run what the plug book recommends, to get a feel for it etc. if anyhting you'll want to run a coldish plug, rather than a hot one, given the octane of fuel nowadays, and the fact that you're probably 'up there' in the rev range, pushing a 4spd or whatever (probably around 3800rpm @ 100kph)

once you've got your mixture spot on you can index them from there

just my take on things etc :wink: I changed the crown back to factory heat range, as it was running a hotter plug.

Although they were fine, i figured that given that most of my running is open road then it couldn't hurt. I've been meaning to pull them to see how they're 'coping', and adjust accordingly.mixture is probably the only thing 'wrong' with mine.

don't use champion plugs. they fuck out real fast

I used to run a gp.1 head and 44 idf's on my RS2000, and this was a real problem. Carburation all over the place all the time. Don't bother trying the platinum coated plugs ( if you can still get them ), they only hurt your wallet. I think a proper injection system is the only solution.

Unless it's oil?? Hope not.

Or a bad earth strap onto the engine? Do you get a good spark earthing a plug to the body?

does a rich mixture kill plugs? i would have thought it would be a little easier, save for them fouling up....

Yeah, you start to get strands of carbon building up shorting them out all over the place. At best, you get a much weaker spark, at worst no spark at all.

The problem with the IDFs was that they'd stay in balance until the end of the street, and no further. Fine if the right pedal's an on off switch, but for normal use, they were apalling!

I don't think it was that rich, as I used to get 19mpg on average, which isn't too bad for that kind of setup - it was about 23 on a 32/36.

I'm just hoping that if I ever manage to get myself a pair of 45's they're be better. I have heard that the quad bike carb setups are better ( and loads cheaper ).

yeah well id say some one who has some knowledge of motorbike carbs and cars would be the way to go theres only 4 screws for fuel/air and 4 for idle think i may be able to do the fuel/air myself well get it abit better but the idle im not exactly sure how to get them inline as you carnt screw em right in then undo em a turn and a half caurse it will be reving its balls off any ideas ?

I'm only just getting back into all this after the best part of 20 years away being a good boy, but you used to be able to get a colourtune kit, which was basically just a glass spark plug. Stuff a couple of those in (4 if you're rich) and you could see which cylinders were not working right. Dunno if they're still available, but they did work.

Except on my IDF's of course, which just pretended to be working then flicked 2 fingers in your general direction as soon as the hood was down. Not that Im bitter, you understand :D

well ive got my carbs running in sync so thats good got the idle running quite low now.

i done the following to the fuel mixture done all 4 screws up then undone them all 1 and 1/2 turns still seems to be running to rich ? number 4 seems to be running rather week allso ideas blown head gasket perhaps ?

are you running a slightly worked engine? my cortina is and i was going thru a set of plugs every 3 months, i changed the plugs from the NGK XXX6e to the XXX5e (cant remember exact numbers) the 5e is a hotter plug so burns fuel better in a worked engine or something... thats what worked for me :D

my engines totally standard besides the mikuni carbs and extractors running electronic dizzy yeah i went to 6's instead of 5's aswell

im starting to think its sometihng else caurse im getting a resonable blue spark on all 4 gona take my head off as somethings gone on my head gasket theres water in my oil but not oil in my water :S my carbs are all single carbs so you have to tune each one but ive done that even with the fuel mixture screw done right up still getting black smoke out the bak when i give it some herbs so really its beyond me what is going on easyest thing i can see to do is to eliminate the posibility's' and i allso want to do a engine rebuild anyway

Those carbs might be overkill on a standard engine. Anyway, dont bother trying to tune it your self. Chances are your not guna be able to stop it running rich yourself, the jets are probably too large, so no amount of twisting screws will help. Take it to a professional, they'll jet it and tune it to suit.