Rebore etc

cute wee gem

Thinking about reboring the mini engine.. Heres a few questions

1. Basically why I started the thread.. Is it worth spending $350 or so just to go from 1275 --> 1330 or should I just spend the cash else where on the car?

2. I've heard a rebore is about $160 and oversized pistons + rings are about $180, are these figures about right?

3. For my new cam should I run NEW standard followers or go for a performance brand option?

1) Prolly not worth it unless the bores are shagged anyway. You need to strip the engine completely for a rebore, so add a full gasket kit and lots of hours to the cost. Would be silly not to check and likely replace big end/main bearings at the same time and recon the head. Probably better off spending the coin on carbs or exhaust if you're on a budget.

2) Sounds about right.

3) New or reground standards should be fine Pay attention to valvetrain geometry if the cam/followers are reground ones.

Yeah man I'm kind of on a budget since I'm still at school, but the engine is fully stripped for a rebuild and just kinda want to know if 350ish bucks is worth it for the extra power? or will it hardly be noticeable?

Can you explain more about the geometry if I get them reground?, Not entirely sure what you mean

You'll get a few horses, but it's only about a 4% increase in capacity so it won't pin you to the back of your seat or anything.

If there's a ridge at the top of the bores it would probably be worth doing. Another option is just to hone the bores and put new rings in.

If you grind the cam/followers it will make that side of the valvetrain shorter which will alter the angle of the rockers when you screw them down giving you less lift. You need to compensate for this to get the most power.

Easiest way is to avoid it by either getting a new cam and lifters or making sure they weld new metal to the cam lobes before the regrind. Dodgy machine shops will just regrind your old cam as-is.

there's millions of A Series engines so lifters are probably cheap enough, not worth regrinding.