New springs on a mk3 cortina.

Guest bluetom

I'm just in the progress of changing the springs in my '73 cortina. I've done the rear springs, that was pretty easy. But am struggling to figure out the easiest was to do the front springs.

I've read the manual and it basically says i have to take the whole suspension assembly apart. I'm not so keen on dismantling it just cos i don't want to screw up the ball joint etc. at either end of the wheel hub.

Any tricks would be great cheers

Oh i'm also struglling to get the compressiors to fit between the wishbones, have been using steel wire to wire them compressed instead.

i dont have any experience with cortina's but if it has a macpherson strut they easiest way to do it is take the whole assemply out, it shouldnt require undoing any ball joints. then it will be alot easy to get the spring compressors on as youll be able to do it on a bench rather than under a gaurd

yeh, you have to undo one of the ball joints, i usually choose the lower one, not hard to do at all, i havent compressed the springs ever either.

1. take out the shock

2. undo the two swaybar? nuts on the bottom wishbone

3.remove split pin from ball joint and undo nut half way.

4. whack the wishbone/balljoint with a hammer until it flings down and sits on the half undone nut.

5. put a jack under the wishbone

6. undo nut fully

7.lower the jack down fully

8. get a nice screwdriver and hammer and wedge the spring off the lip its caught on

9. spring should fling down and stop on the ground depending on how high the cars jacked up, pull it out etc

ive never put standard springs back into a cortina, would imagine it'd be a bitch as compressors dont fit between the wishbones etc. lowered springs dont need compressing to get them in, and putting them in is the reverse order.

I am putting lowering springs in so hopefulling won't need to compress.

so the ball joint doesn't actually have to come undone?

just the bolt attaching it to the wheel hub? Easy to put back together?

This may be a little far off but you wouldn't happen to, by any chance, have a spare sway bar with fittings etc. lying around. Keen to buy one, as mine doesn't have one so rolls like you would never believe.

yeh, balljoints easy to put back in. if you asked me a few months ago i would have had one, threw it away when i was sorting thought the stuff that id never need as a spare lol. when your doing it some things like to be bitches eg, putting the top shock bolt back in, freeing the ball joint from the stub axle, and reanligning the 2 swaybar bolt holes. just gotta be handy with a hammer and a largish screw driver and itll be sweet