Cute Wee Gem's Mini Clubman

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to love this car for its weight.. Managed to do this by myself :lol:

20061202image0008sd7.jpg

I will sand off the surface rust, which isn't so bad except for around the boot/tyre well area then underseal and paint it black.

I ripped the dash out last week so I'll re-do that with new vinyl, fix up all the cracks and stuff

Jai hasn't emailed back in over a week about the parts I wanted to order.. Might have to try again as I need the parts before I can build the engine. I have a new door on the way soon, the people sending it are fucking hopeless though and are taking ages.. Thats about it for now

• 2 weeks later...

Got some wheels today, widened steelies ftmfw 8)

20061213image0002fy3.jpg

20061213image0001wz7.jpg

Just need new tyres, but before I get them mounted I'll strip them and repaint them, definately going white roof now, to match white steels and I'm also going to find some mini hubcaps (the little dish type ones)

Trying to stick to that British race/nostalgic type look 8) - Obviously not everyones style, but I love widened steels :P

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing a couple hours a day for the last 2 weeks, mainly finishing off the little bits of body work that need to be perfect before I do the last primer coat

Mixed the paint yesterday. Its basically a Fiat colour with a bit more silver to lighten it up

20061230image0025su2.jpg

Wheels took hours to strip all the paint and surface rust off, once done they got primed

20061230image0023ml3.jpg

Will prime the car next week and paint sometime following that, around next weekend I'd say. Depending on new years :lol:

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 003ge7.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... 005dm7.jpg

Came out OK I guess, but being a perfectionist I'm not happy with it because its not show car worthy, few little dents etc :lol:

Not bad for a garage job, after the Colt it shows how much a booth really helps considering its not as good a finish, yet I have more experience.

Cut and polish will get out the little imperfections that garage jobs give, dust/random shit flying around gets stuck in the paint :evil:

I got up nice and early today since I've been lazy for a while, late nights on the piss etc and had no motivation the next day. So I got stuck in, first off doing a little work on the dash getting it ready to paint, but now will probably attempt to recover it in vinyl with some help from my mum since shes pretty pro with fabric etc :lol:

20070110image0004xj3.jpg

Then got stuck into painting the engine bay, was going to do door jams but will do that tomorrow probably

After the 3 base coats..

20070110image0006ft6.jpg

20070110image0010xt8.jpg

3 top coats down and 2 clear coats

20070110image0012ns6.jpg

20070110image0018ay0.jpg

Panels in engine bay haven't been beated/bogged as they will most likely get scratched up anyway, and its all pretty much hidden by the engine. Not perfect.. but good enough :wink:

Things are starting to shape up now, over the last few days I've masked up, sanded, primed and sanded some more. So today I got onto doing the underside of the bonnet, boot door jams, boot jam and inside of doors.

20070115image0004pn3.jpg

I'm trying my best to get her painted before the 19th as I'm off to Australia. My parts should be here by the time I get back and will be able to build the engine and stick her back together. I'm not sure if there are any missing bits as I didn't strip the car but my mate said the carpets are gone as they were rotten, so I'll do new carpets eventually..

Also I did the valve grind last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got bored. We have to move house soon so I have to get this cunt atleast half complete before then so I just bit the bullet and did it. Its pretty shocking in my eyes.. but hey its only going to be the daily anyway :x

Few runs here and there which I'll cut out, not a problem. There a few shit parts, both doors aren't that great and a few misc little bits other than that.. I also missed out the gold pearl as for some reason the mix fucked up and I didn't have enough thinners to do it again. so meh.. probably a good thing

Biggest panel job I've had to do so far, and I know what to do next time

I tackle something as bent as this was. I will buy some new tools and get it done alot quicker aswell

Base

20070129image0002ul0.jpg

Top + clear

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2537 ... 004bx2.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3198 ... 003yy4.jpg

Unmasked roof

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1627/2 ... 006tr3.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5766/2 ... 009td2.jpg

Just got an email from Jai, 700 bucks worth of parts on there way :twisted:

My mum helped out today by recovering the dash. Foam was fucked, and couldn't get the other gay foam we had to work properly, so we glued thick fleece over the sheet metal which got rid of dents/old glue etc. We then glued on vinyl which came out well, the crease near the middle is just where the vinyl had been bent from sitting around for months which should go away eventually

20070206image0005ho9.jpg

Yesterday I put the crank, pistons, cam and lifters in and today I put on the timing gear/front pulley etc and mounted it on the gearbox all ready to be bolted together and ancillaries to be put on

20070206image0001vw3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When I woke up this morning I'd have never thought I'd get this done today.. But I can tell you, the first thing I did when I finished was grab a fucking beer, shit.. what a day

Engine fully together this morning, minus a few bits such as carbs

20070214image0008xv6.jpg

Putting it in..

20070214image0009hq3.jpg

GULP! swallowed whole.

20070214image0010fa3.jpg

20070214image0012gi7.jpg

20070214image0014ix1.jpg

20070214image0015ht4.jpg

My uncle also helped put the windscreens on the weekend as he knew how to do it, I just need to buy some new strips that sit in the middle to stop leaks

My dad helped today with some fancy front end loader work with the tractor, Matarawa steeez :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Had her going on sunday, and attached a few bits today so I could drive it

First "I'll goto the corner and back" turned into about 10ks worth, using a handbrake and engine braking as the only means of stopping :lol:

Runs pretty well, timing is ok but will fiddle with it anyway, and after mum and dad took it for a spin I noticed exhaust was black/few puffs of black so I'll lean it up abit tomorrow aswell

After its first voyage (sits a little too low, wee bit of guard rub.. but shouldn't have to raise it by much) :wink:

20070312image0012xc9.jpg

20070312image0011ri3.jpg