Volodkovich's 1981 Mini 1000

Ok,

so i'd thought i should prolly stick some shiz up here on my mini.

Basically started off as a shell i bought off a mate for $20. Had the usual rust around the roof gutter at the C pillar, needed a new sill, and a few patches here and there. Best part was that it had a reg and was on hold. Figured it would be a good start to get one of my minis on the road.

Here it is as i bought it.

mini11cn.jpg

I had a few other mini's lying around, so i figured i'd just chuck in all the running gear out of another mini1000. Seemed like a good idea.

a few pics mid build. Was trial fitting flares, and you can also see the new sill panel i spot welded on in the last pic. Unfortunately i cant find pics of the roof repairs i did.

mini39mr.jpg

mini26hn.jpg

mini41ul.jpg

After swapping all the bits over, and rebuilding what i had to, a mate gave me some french blue dulon he had from his mini for free, provided we learn't how to paint it. I didnt really like the colour, but i couldnt refuse so i mixed half blue and half white and repainted it. Prep was around 3 or 4 hours, which suffice to say, was not long enough. Some parts look good, others look quite bad. Im not fussed though, this was never going to be a show car. AS you will see it has nearly no interior, no sound deadening, and no carpet. Makes for quite a noisy ride.

Anyway, here's what it currently looks like (except its lower now). I decided suspension and a seat was the first thing to do to it, so now it sports fully adjustable suspension - nolathanes all round, adjustable bottom arms, castor arms, adjustable lowered koni sports at the front, and negative camber brackets at the rear. Also has hi-los (adjustable ride height all round) as well as a Racetech 100 bucket seat.

mini58jl.jpg

mini68dk.jpg

mini78sn.jpg

mini89xn.jpg

Other mods include: 10" Hotwires, Nissan Pulsar dizzy, Minispares Big bore alloy inlet manifold, Gasflowed HS4 Su carb with a K&n cone filter and homemade stubstack, LCB extractors and 1 7/8" straight through exhaust with a 16" coby, sports steering wheel. Debumpered front.

And a pic that bistro took on his camera phone, when we mucked up and set the rear hi-los a little low. Was sitting on guards.

23464274154587phdrknmmsxtracon.jpg

Future mods: Mk1 sliding window conversion, custom disc brakes at front, clean up the interior, build up a new motor (undecided yet, either going to be a supercharged 998, or a fast road 1360), possibly half cage (no one can ride in the back atm anyway due to how low it is), mini tub rear.

• 1 year later...

Finally getting on to some work on this thing!

Trial fitted new wider flares today, got a couple mounted. Starting to mini tub and turret rear tomorrow.

I'm putting my spare 1293 into it. Cam is off getting ground, im porting the head and making some 1.5 ratio rockers for it too. Centrail oil pickup, new followers etc have been bought.

Rebuilding rear swing arms and front top arms with rebuild kits that replace everything. Putting an 1100 radiator in there too as they are larger than the standard mini ones.

Front disc brakes are being built soon as well.

Not sure i'll have money for a half cage but it might end up in there.

Anyway, this is what it looked like at the ride height i was driving it around with

mini005uu9.jpg

mini009uo3.jpg

Got the landcrab radiator all mounted with new electric fan. Should be good because it is mounted to the body instead of the engine. Will give me heaps of room for a gilmer drive later on :P

Welding up the subframe mounts to make them solid tomorrow. Thinking of dropping the subframe and seam welding it as well.

p1812072236soz8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK, internal gear shift is done, just need to wait to finish rear mini tubs so i can see how it is to drive. Then i can fab up a little cover for the hole in the floorpan :)

Certainly feels a lot better driving position wise. Gearchanges now have more of a mechanical feel and a lot shorter throw. Coupled with bucket seat mounted quite far back and the dropped steering column makes a huge difference.

img2804smh1.jpg

In the process of solid mounting front subframe, then rear mini tubs/turrets. Does anyone know of a good place to get a halfcage done in wellington?

Ok so finally doing rear arches.

Basically broke the spots, peeled down the inner skin, made some bending bars and re made flange on outer skin. Folded up inner skin and spot welded back together. Seemed to work quite well, should let me drop it another inch or so at the back. Now to turret rear shock mounts.

reararch002sgo2.jpg

reararch005soa6.jpg

reararch006skj0.jpg