4G63-4G32 gearbox info

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi, i recently got hold of a VR4 4G63 engine. knowing that the standard 4 speed or 5 speed boxes that came out in the early colt/galant/lancers does have the same bellhousing pattern, is there anything that i need to be concerned with. e.g. will the 63 flywheel/clutch be too big? will the gearbox spline fit the G63 clutch plate?

also are the sizes of the 6 adn 7 bolt flywheels that came out in the 4G63's different in diameter?

i also realise that although these boxes are renowned for being strong, that they will eventually give up behind a turbo motor, i plan to build whichever i use (4 or 5 speed) up to handle the power. main reason that i want to use one of these boxes is that i wont have to cut a hole in the tunnel to relocate the shifter.

thanks.

Your VR-4 4G63 will be a 6 bolt engine. Only the Evo 1-3 4G63 blocks are 7 bolt. These blocks don't have mouldings for the RWD engine mounts, whereas the 6 bolt does.

The bellhousing will be the same. You may have to use a Starion or a Sigma RWD flywheel and clutch, as the VR-4 clutch/flywheel may be too big.