Gazs 67 Mk2 Cortina OMG an Update!

Gaz

Done a bit since last Wed, pics will tell story really.

Also when the gold is in the sun its pretty much exactly what I wanted.. see door pics outside. (dont look at them too hard tho, I didnt even bog them in places lol.

mk2mk2012.jpg

mk2mk2014.jpg

mk2mk2015.jpg

mk2mk2016.jpg

mk2mk2021.jpg

mk2mk2022.jpg

mk2mk2024.jpg

mk2mk2026.jpg

mk2mk2028.jpg

mk2mk2031-1.jpg

Check the messy garage, really need to tidy up but meh.

Sunday was interesting day, Id drunken way way too much dutyfree Beam and Southern Comfort the night before and although wasnt feeling that bad I was spewing every 15mins for an hour or so. Had the mean spew patch roadside outside my garage door.. Good times!

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been many many a month without progress so time to get into this shit heap and finish it.

Got cert last weekend and moved it to Low'n'slows garage this weekend to work on it for a few weeks before it goes in to be painted. We are pretty much doing final rust repairs but also getting ready for WOF.

Car is to be used as wedding car early march so time to get going!

Pics of weekend feat Chris/Low'n'Slow

Cert tag:

Picture025.jpg

Someone had patched over some rust in the front of the sill and it made it stick out further. Cutting it out found some dodgy repairs so yeah, small fix turnbed into big fix:

Old

Picture004.jpg

Cut out

Picture011.jpg

New Piece feat Chris

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Fixed, just needs filler, panel beater can do that...

Picture046.jpg

Also was rust under the headlight which needed fix..

Cut out

Picture031.jpg

Fixed now

Boot had rust too so out it came

Picture007.jpg

and Chris fixed :rolleyes:

Picture009.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Shaved boot lock at same time:

Picture022.jpg

Realized that had no way of opening boot :lol: so, made a way..

Picture048.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Was going to get bumpers rechromed while car was at painters, Chris convinced me that they would clean up and with a quick cut it seems they will be fine.

Picture034.jpg

Other random pics, pillar in between doors is pretty much colour car will be, prob a tad lighter again.

Picture041.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Also fixed window winder, spaced the ds loop down as it was hitting on bumps, cleaned some shit and will pull half shaft out to see why wheel is rumbling! Should prob fix fuel sender too. Apart from that it only needs a few things I know of for a WOF so should be ok when that time comes.

On another note the Mrs rang me at 1 last night because she had lunched our Vauxhall daily ahaha. Went to pickup today and it has busted gbox. The release bearing seems to be broke and catching. Goes about 2-3m forward before trying to lockup... another fun thing to fix lol!

Hopefully see Cortina in paint shop mid Jan and out by end, hrm, you guys know how my timing works tho!!! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Nick and I have been doing some mega hours on this piece of SHIT while gaz is on holiday....na not really just 4 or 5 hours each night.

dsc03100fj8.jpg

Sick custom bonnet release made :P with custom made clips.

Heaps off small things really.

Last night we stripped the interior and nick welded on the seats plates in place.

Painted odds and ends.

Adjusted the doors

fixed door latch.

Stripped all exterior parts in prep for the paintjob.

Fixed the front guard.

Replaced more parts of the sill.

Modded drive shaft loop.

Few other odds n ends.

Can't W8 to see this thing painted :P

• 3 weeks later...

Chris and Nick made me get pics of car while at painters. Prob a good idea so I can back log this shit. Car was pretty straight for what it was. Has minimal bog build up more skims in most areas. I went down and got the colour today so thats all sorted. Pic of boot is roughly the colour the car is going. Just gotta play the waiting game now. Should be primered and maybe painted on Mon or Tues tho then its time for WOF WOF WOF.

While everything has been apart I have painted the hoodlining black, got the seats recovered and also am going to drop the rim centres into the powder coaters. Ive also reconed the dish of my rims myself to an extent. Will also tidy things up as they go back in. Also pulled my 3.54 diff apart and am going to attempt a rebuild on this which will give me a full rebuilt driveline from engine to diff.

Gaz

Sorry for quality they off my phone!

stairz005vd2.jpg

stairz006pm5.jpg

stairz007xc8.jpg

stairz008in6.jpg

stairz009xd2.jpg

Finished

stairz006bb8.jpg

Finished

stairz005nz5.jpg

Car is sitting at painters in 2k primmer waiting for sunny Monday to lay down the coats and 2k clear.

stairz009zp6.jpg

stairz010cr9.jpg

stairz011it1.jpg

stairz012er8.jpg

Wheels are at the powder coaters and will be finished Monday. The sheels have been cleaned up ready for putting back togther and the lips have had a polish of somesort, not sure how well I have done really!

Excuse the shitty phone pics once again.

Next time

Car looks ok, not really that happy with paintjob but it will do for wedding. Seems too much dust was in the air when painted or cleared, despite having a booth dust has still found its way to the wet paint. Overall looks mint as, the panel work is fine :D The rims came back fucking awsome from the powder coaters.. Would def recomend spending the 200 odd bucks getting centres re coated! Will post pics up of rims tommorrow.

Pics from phone. Will post some from camera tommorrow.

stairz001nt4.jpg

stairz005tx6.jpg

stairz006gq0.jpg

GET RICH TO THIS

Ok picture this .. this sums up gaz well IMO

Its his wedding in less than two weeks time and his car has no WOF and he has to take it up to rotarua this Sunday for wedding preperation.

Then this happens

dsc00593j.jpg

Broken oil pickup ... Dow :?

So the race is on ... pics of last nights efforts.

boooool2.jpg

boooooooo.jpg

boooooocm1.jpg

bopoooonz4.jpg

dsc00601.jpg

dsc00588b.jpg

dsc00586f.jpg

dsc00606x.jpg

Thats how Gaz roles

• 5 months later...

Hrrrm didnt realise it had been this long since an update!!!

For those that didn't know I got the car running in time for the wedding! Big ups to all that helped and special thanks to UJ & Aiden for the use of workshop.

The broken oil pickup had stopped oil flow to the engine, as you'd expect it to! This in turn ran all the bottom end bearings and the cam bearing. So yeah had to refresh her with new bearings. Ordered a set from Repco and when they got here there was one in the set which was the wrong size! How the fuck you get one out of 8 in a sealed pack different is beyond me. Time ticking on and stress building I finally got a set and chucked them in. In the meantime I had sent the crank & head off and the head place in Vivivan Street polished the crank and installed the new cam bearing. They did it for an awesome price and also overnight, good service, highly recommend. Hrm, anyways got it all in and running again and after a bit of trouble with brakes I got the WOF.

Made it to Rotorua for wedding and after wedding installed my Quife adjustable cam gear which Ive had in stock for ages and never used. Pretty cool playing round with cam timing and lets you fully appreciate why twin cams rule. Bring on the CA!

Here are some pics from the wedding.

My sis, Myself and Nick the afternoon before the wedding.

atwedding9.jpg w604.png

Parked up by the clearing where wedding ceremony was.

atwedding5.jpg w604.png

atwedding8.jpg w604.png

atwedding7.jpg w604.png

At wedding breakfast after ceremony

atwedding4.jpg w604.png

atwedding6.jpg w604.png

Thats all I have really, will prob take some more pics at swapmeet. Have fixed the front ride height a bit now as was high rolling for paddock entrances at wedding. :lol:

Ok now for the update I was actually coming here to do.

Been meaning to make a new front parcel shelf for the car for ages and now. With my new garage and the up and coming Palmy Swapmeet for motivation I decided to get into it.

I started with this but in black. Here it is after being painted a bit further on in the process.

47967608.jpg w480.png

Then with a bit of trial and error and a template or two made from cardboard I came up with this.

10588220.jpg w640.png

39081359.jpg w640.png

It rests on a few tabs which were already on the passenger side but I had to weld a couple of new ones into the drivers side.

76422347.jpg w640.png

Had a bit of vinyl and this on shelf so away I went. Have to say I wouldn't use that shit again, its pretty gay and doesn't stick vinyl to MDF very well. Think ADOS would be the key. If the MDF was a bit thicker then ados and staples would be the way. If I was going to make another this is the approach Id take.

73237774.jpg w640.png

Clamps were a bit big and gay, pegs seemed to work better :mrgreen:

40939269.jpg w640.png

Either way it worked ok?

68991881.jpg w480.png

I then bolted the front bit on, after painting it.

69086505.jpg w640.png

26637815.jpg w640.png

And here is the pretty much finished product in place.

53890419.jpg w640.png

Need to paint the kick panels with some vinyl paint as they are a bit scratched up. When this is done it should look alot tidier up front.

Also while waiting for things to dry I pulled the diff out and started to swap it out for the 3.54 unit I have. Problem is I cant get 1 of the axles out of the 3.5 housing which sucks! Have smashed the welds on my slide hammer on both ends and would have given a good solid 40 cracks with the slide hammer to no avail! This fucker is fucking stuck! Have rewelded the stops on the slide hammer now so will give it another go tomorrow. Anyone got an other ideas if I still cant get it? Its a pretty heavy duty slide hammer, am surprised it hasnt popped it out yet!.

• 2 months later...

Few pics I took last week.

Also brought a GT center consol which hopefully fits. If it does it should look grouse with the parcel shelf. Fingers crossed.

Also I got the 3.54 diff in and running. Best upgrade ever, even better than a pinto! Whoa!!

Procrastination leads to playing with camera, which, as you will see, I know very little about. :lol:

Wasn't till I uploaded that I realized it was on low mp the whole time :doubt:

cortinasept09135.jpg

cortinasept09133.jpg

cortinasept09124.jpg

cortinasept09124.jpg

cortinasept09098.jpg

cortinasept09115.jpg

cortinasept09120.jpg

cortinasept09132.jpg

cortinasept09122.jpg