wireing up eletronic dizzy

excort

:?: hey well i thought id ask you's guys as i am confused on what to do now i know i have a positive going to the coil and i know you need the negative from the coil going to the dizzy does it need another positve from somewhere? it has 3 wires and im lost on what the third one would be its a sierra dizzy if anyone could help me out i would apreciate it alot thanks :(

ok now ive had a closer look theres a red a black and a brown wire which go in to a plug i have the othe end that goes in to that plug and the wires that come out of that are green and yellow and red and black im wondering if id be better to cut the plug off and wire it up my self but im unsure ive tryed running a negative to the coil from the green and yellow and a positve to the battery/starter from the red and black but nothing so im abit lost on what to do next any ideas?

Hey,

If it's a normal Sierra dizzy, then I have bad news for you. All that's in the Sierra dizzy is the hall effect switch (sensor), no ignition amp, and no advance mechanism - mechanical or vaccum.

You will need to run the silly electronic box that came with the Sierra, or buy a jaycar kit that does electonic advance and high engergy ignition (possibly use a bosch module - but you need the advance kit anyway).

There was an early Sierra dizzy that aparently (I have never seen one, they are like unicorns) had mechanical and vaccum advance plus hall effect, If this is yours -- you can use a Bosch module from that Sierra, Lada Samara or some model Audis. THere is a good list of the modules on the Megasquirt site.

The most obvious way to tell is ask yourself, does it have a vacuum canister on the side. If not, buy a Cortina one, and get a luminition kit (bit expensive tho).

Cheers,

Kris.

Really. I've looked at heaps of Sierras at pick a part over the years. and never seen one of the relutor ones. I pop in at least once a week - so I'd thought I'd have been there at the right time at least once.

OK, excort - forget the luminiton kit and follow RT to his favourite wrecker. No stalking, OK.

K

hey it has a vacume advance on the side it was off a oldish sierra i think 86 or something i guess ill just try and see wat i can do hopes i can get it to work im just gona cut that stupid plug off and wire it up my self

ok so like i siad theres 2 wires comeing out of the dizzy and one screwed on to the side of it they go in to a female plug then you have the male plug which only has 2 wires comeing out heres a pic to help you

1362nb.th.jpg

so i just run the red to the positive starter and the negative to the negative on the coil? do i need any box off the sierra it has a couple in the engine bay sorry about all the questions guys im just not very good with car electronics and u's are :wink:

I have no personal experience with the Sierra reluctor dizzy, but I would think you'd find a amp module on the inner wing nearby. I might be completely wrong about this. If it is a Bosch one then it will look like this:

bosch-module.jpg

I doubt it has the amp inside like the Hitachi (non ford) dizzys and it would be obvious if the amp was bolted to the side of the dizzy.

BMWs and stuff like that use these modules as well.

K.

hey well i think i found the thing your talking about is this it

1391ff.th.jpg

Bingo! I bet you're glad you didn't cut the plug off :wink:

and does this thing have anything to do with the lights ????

1408kj.th.jpg

I am certain it does, although I am certain it's not original. Did the Sierra have spotlights or other optional lights anywhere?

K.

You'll have to remove the wiring from the loom. You'll find the two wires from the dizzy go into the loom, but straight(ish) to the module, and once you unwrap it you will see what I mean. The others to the module will be an earth, and ignition.

It's easy to unwrap looms, and leave the plugs intact. Once you've seperated the wires out, you can rewrap it to look nice.

I doubt you need a manual - my library has one, but I don't. Have you checked yours?

K.

thanks ill give that a go by chance is the wire that goes to the dizzy 2 brown wires? well i dont have a relay on my car at the moment i have the old one but its not connected and i dont have any idea where it plugs in to :?: i have no head lights at the moment so im t hinking its this i got one park light but its permanently on even with the ignition off oh and when i hook the negative wires that go to the front indicators they start melting :| i think theres a serious fault somewhere i have a friend who knows a fair bit about wireing so anything you could tell me that we could work off would be verymuch apreciated cheers :?

Guest mattlloyd481

Hey i also got a seirra dizzy with just 3 wires coming from the unit, no vacume or anything. I want to put it into my 2lt cortz. Can anyone give me a definite answer on how to hook it up, all this chat is confusing me...Cheers[/b]

Hey i also got a seirra dizzy with just 3 wires coming from the unit, no vacume or anything. I want to put it into my 2lt cortz. Can anyone give me a definite answer on how to hook it up, all this chat is confusing me...Cheers[/b]

Your problem is that you have a late model Sierra Dizzy. Rather than use bob weights, springs and a vacuum canister to control advance, your distributor uses a map stored in a primitive ECU. The map corresponds engine rpm with mechanical advance and then a vacuum sensor to measure load.

This distributor can't be easily used as a standalone unit, you either need the Sierra ECU (which sux) or better use a electronic advance kit from Jaycar to make a fully programable. Of course you will then have to solder it up etc. and if you don't know how to do this you are screwed.

You can buy off the web a megajolt (in kit or built form) that will let you construct and tune your own maps with some very powerful software - but it is a couple of hundred $.

If all this sounds too much trouble, it is (for basic engines, no need) so you can get a luminition kit and fit it to a standard points Cortina Dizzy. Otherwise, look for one like Excort that has the reluctor mechanism and sperate amp pack as he has photographed.

K.

Guest mattlloyd481

Thanks for the help, your right it does sound like too much work for little gain. Might check out Jaycar tho or just sell the unit...Just out of interest, what improvements will it make?