starter motor of an esky

Guest ol_skool_esky

Guest ol_skool_esky

hey..... my starter motor on my esky keeps f*kin up...... wen i turn the key sometimes it jst clicks away.... but the funny thing is wen i try to push it in gear the whole motor is stuck and the wheels won't turn at all....... i think its real strange aye.... i no that the starter is jaming it somewhere....... and then a few try's lata and it will turn over sweet as.... i think i shuld jst get a new starter motor...... wat do u guys think? cheers

Flat mate had a problem like this on his high'n'dry

First - check the leads, make sure all connections between the battery and the starter a in good nick.

Second, try and borrow a new battery. See if this makes a difference.

These two just basically make sure its the starter thats shagged, not that it just isnt getting enough current.

After that take the starter out and start it using jumpers and a spanner/screw driver to engage the solenoid. If it works every time like this then the starter is ok and your problem might be in the wiring.

Only learnt these lessons after my flatty bought a new starter to find it did the same thing.... :o It was the battery and wiring, just not enough current getting through.

Hi

Check the backing plate of the starter motor, had a mk2 1600 sports that did the same, the fix was simple as the back plate has only small self tapping screws and they had loosen up so as the backing plate held tension on the brushes so loose plate intermitant brush connection. Starts some times but not the next. A good idea to check any way ya don't want all those little bits a pieces falling out on to the road.

Cheers

Roy

Guest ol_skool_esky

cheers guys i'll b checking that out very soon....... i think u are right about the wiring becuz the wiring is packing up on the esky........ thanks for your help guys

well mine started graunching not so long ago. those big mofo bolts would come loose all the time. i was about to loctite them up when the old mans mechanic said it will just come loose again because some case housing was loose or something. siera motors dont fit as the pinion thing is a few mls higher and would just wizzzz away and not touch the gear. if u get a new starter motor, test it with a load on it, like jam a peice of wood on it.

$195 for a new one or there abouts, thats what i did. starts cooley.

Guest ol_skool_esky

ok tru but mine is weird it jst jams my motor up too then sometimes it will come free :? i mite get a new one cuz i hate the sound of the old starter motor of an esky..... where did u get urs?

repco???

Guest ol_skool_esky

hu no's where i can get a brand new starter from then???? not an old one from a wrekers.... i can't be fucked with the old parts now cuz my car jst shits itself all the time becuz everything is worn out..... any ideas?

you cant bro

try a ford dealership tho, they might get you one from the uk but itl cost you as much as a 2nd hand one reco'd plus about 500%

i remember when i wanted some wheel studs and a spigot bearing from John Andrew ford when it was in new lynn a whileeee ago and they basically said we can get it from the UK but... it'll cost you an arm and a leg

Guest ol_skool_esky

ok sweet as man i will c how much they cost from the uk at a ford dealership...... i mite have to get one from a wrekers even tho i would prefer the new one........ cheers