Rotormotors' 1990 FC Rx7 Brapta$tical coupe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I discovered the blank plates I bought over a decade ago from green brothers when I swapped over exhaust ffs.

Thicker but the EGR follows the cast base better,   I'll prob get it blasted and replace it when i get my diff castings vapour blasted.

Builder currently rebuilding one of his previous builds on a car he sold over 15yr ago.

This car

https://youtu.be/LdL2i7DrhtE?si=H5QInxKzqZSzLgL0

Dropped HT lead apparently so blew a carbon seal so no iron/housing damage, my keg is next in line..

20231230_235153.jpg

• Like 7

Back in one piece using heatgun to heat the rear casting  bearing carrier because bearing was pushed in...heat and rubber mallet done.

Allen key to hold in the brushes.

Sunlight distorts colour to blue as seen...its actually teal.

EDIT: closeup photo seeing the  Raggety cast mold dags on the mounting arm is  irking me.

This bit is pretty much right on top of me motor and visable  so I may just dismantle/file/wetsand it smoother and re vapour when i do Diff to settle my OCD.

20240106_185342.jpg

20240106_185430.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Rethinking a few things.

Turned down FD housings over FC due to cost.

Been playing on my mind a bit cos inside chroming better finish hence longitivity. 

Lucky my FC ones not notch yet for bridgeport but oniy vapour blasted.

So will bag up and put in their boxes for the day that NLA and worth heaps.

Also rethink throttle body.

SCR has a much better AM flowing product which bolts onto the lower FC intake.

So all the bother vapour, modding throttle and expansion pipe for nout now hahaha.

Its only money, todays effort pulling out plugs/loom and other deleted AC, emmision and factory turbo bits..happy cos only have coolant lines for engine block and heater core moving on..much nicer, cleaner and no risk of leaks.

Boring pics.. old post engine pulled and current look.

20230702_165452.jpg

• Like 5

Deep Google found it.

Fuel pump relay resistor.

"It is there to save wear on your fuel pump under cruising/light throttle conditions. Essentially it cuts down the voltage your fuel pump sees when there's not as much demand on it, the theory being that this will help prolong the life of your pump, and may also help with gas mileage.

On the S4 TII cars it's located on the passenger side under where the stock airbox resides, just behind the headlight" 

US obviously.

Edit: gas gone, he was surprised how much gas was in there.

Cant have had any leaks then cos the belt was removed about 10yrs ago when fit gilmers.

Edited by rotormotor
  • Like 3

Pretty pleased with my hoard of photos on dismantle and lining up plugs with the associated  deleted emission crapola, I have removed half of the wiring in the  looms leaving the necessaries to remain.

Pic of my usage from purchase around 2007 to where it ceases being a daily driver :grin:

Screenshot_20240113_052915_Chrome.jpg

Edited by rotormotor
Mucked up daily driver cease year
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Fiiinally builder is free to build my sammie, dropping off irons & housings tomorrow...YUSS

Have been furiously scoping out the future parts/bolt ons  needed & buying bits n pieces last few weeks and tinkering on modifying bits for the factory items I'm actually keeping and the delooming process for engine bay repaint

I'm sure when I get my keg back in one piece I be all focused and pepped up..

Projectlife?

20240130_182043.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the member who linked me Carclips in Dunners btw.

Most helpful.

Reason for 4 new housings in pic previously was I bought FC because cheaper, FD are a far better chroming finish and no dumb inlet manifold coolant ports to blank off with 20c pieces..so I bit the bullet and got FD ones, i'm sure hoarded NOS vapour blasted housing in the original boxes be worth lots in a decade or 2 :badgrin:

• 1 month later...

Other than schooling myself up on making new AN lines (I gonna have a few questions about that) , I been getting bits trickling in like Coils/injectors.

Bigger news is I'm getting my very own  Easter Keg this weekend.

Messenger_creation_eb4ebb83-211f-447e-9683-5b4ec25fbcd1.png

Messenger_creation_c4e53c57-2e09-45ef-918e-966e26fedd5c.png

• Like 5

Nearly have all the loom sorted/removed in engine bay..not yet found the wire for the factory dash boost gauge..grrr.

Anyways pic of latest parts precurement.

Trick NZEFI coil set, spendy injectors which don't match my colour scheme in any way,  fuel line AN fittings  & braided hose set, Spal puller fan, lightened flywheel, Cusco numberplate relocate just cos was getting their brake booster shocktower mount (YT vids says it makes a better pedal feel) , OEM heater line cis less hassle clean my one with corroded outlets and this match colour scheme, turbo oil feed line and Works Bell short boss kit...need a second kmart bin..

20240406_132708.jpg

• Like 4