Rotormotors' 1990 FC Rx7 Brapta$tical coupe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gettn into pulling bits apart for vapourblasting and cleaning my rotors.

Also dropped off my 5 speed minus bell housing to the local to def replace 5th syncho and whatever bearings/other maintainence bits required or prudent to do.

Mentioned getting the internals hardened, smooth (likened to shotpeening) but lets see what 'needs' to be replaced.

20230801_172254.jpg

20230801_222321.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Small update.

Porting finished all irons and are off to rehardening..ill get pics when back in my hands.

The Front rotor above cleaned up no issues.

Cleaned the rear rotor but we did notice on pull down that the rotors were machined out for 3mm seals and was a chip 1/3 way along the slot..prob why they been machined decades ago as threw the seal In the back.

Anyways, cleaning rear one and was  sketchy about how clean it wasn't compared to front and different "texture".

Builder suspects one was original..one new.

They are both reusable.

Discussion now is do I use old rotors in new housings keep 3mm apex with all the new OEM seals or replace one rotor adding a 3mm remachining cost.

Or new FD rotors or new FC NA S4 rotors(higher compression to run more boost) and stay 2mm.

Sell my old ones as matching pair to offset cost of one new rotor.

Leaning towards NA so known history of the new engine.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for the wankel sandwich bits to be sorted/returned  for my final assembly,  I looking for pretty up bits online.

Kustomcuts au has a few tasty goodies, is old font mazda acceptable on an FC or is a fusion of decades more than ok :badgrin:

Emission blank off plates, OMP injector housing/inlet blank bungs and OMP blsnk on timing cover plate, CAS cover, radiator cover, braided oil cooler lines and turbo lines all items I looking to add.

Trying to visualise the final product as not gonna be a show car.

Am painting irons x3, kinda like the stock look of the rotor housings, bell housing/gearbox casts, after vapour blast the original fitted components, do they need a coat of something to keep looking that way?

Primeraly more focus the bell housing forward details, being a novice to detailing and engine rebuilding, clearcoat a go or need an etch on casting so painting silver a better consideration?

Polishing those bits just not the look what I going for.

Any past history details or insights  warmly welcomed.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Slight update with pics.

Plates just been skimmed and when rehardened, be back in my hands to be painted.

Taking my first batch of castings for vapour blasting tomorrow.

Picked up my new radiator and fuel rails today.

Dropped off allternator and starter motor to be checked(worked ok on removal), rebushed & bearinged and castings be removed for the second vapour run.

I contemplated pulling the alt and starter apart myself, but time poor and had issues removing the shaft of alternator..prob rearbearing stuck fast.

First autosparky not interested in it(only a new parts fit guy and hiff the old) so second one was ok with my  plan.

20230928_172456.jpg

• Like 4

Oh and gearbox is looking very good on opening it up.

3 rubber seals, bearing kit and input roller bearing and 5th & reverse synchros all that appear needed...luckily what i hoped be the case.

Wonder on replace all synchros, gearbox dude said try synchtotech in au they use for their  racecars.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alt and starter motor castings  disassembled for vapour and pretty up, auto spark said bearings, brushes all fine as they are.

Plates been skimmed and off to be heat treated this week then back to me for paint.

Emission blank off plates, OMP housing bungs and gearbox rebuild kit ordered.

No pics cos pulled apart alt and starter not interesting...pics next time.

Over spending thousands and not even an engine to see for it yet :)

• Like 7