BMW E21 323 restomod. By Mr Vapour.

Mr Vapour

KimiWell as photobucket killed my other thread and I have changed cars I have started a new thread. 

Car was in a shed for 10ish years, was half stripped and some grinding performed then a cover put on and left.  I got it about two years ago as a parts pig. 

My OG car ended up with some structural damage that I was not willing to mess with so with the help of Chris R we cut it up in to bits. Result is that I now have most of the cuts needed to repair this one. 

The car is a 1980 323i BMW. It was Polaris silver when new but has been painted gunmetal grey twice since then.

Factory 4 gear bags non LSD was a disappointment to discover. 

Delivered to Singapore and imported in to NZ 87ish. 

It had had some love in the past but I also.think this.May have been to cover some bodging. 

It had a zender body kit, foha boot spoiler, BBS solid subframe mounts. Hand made stainless mufflers and the front shocks did not look standard. 

It's got lots of rust. But I have most of the replacement parts from the sacrificial lamb 320/6. 

So far I have bolted up the coilovers and mocked up the 5stud conversion. 

E12 hubs, commodore discs and calipers, e28  rear subfrAme and e34 trailing arms and rear discs. 

Alloy block 2.8 (m52b28) long block in as mock up and matching ZF gear bag waiting on the shelf to be mocked up in the near future. 

The e28 swap puts the rear wheels out further and the low.offset bbs wheels require some more rear guard removal. I have 2002 bubble flares. But I don't like them So Will be importing some group2 flares. Rear end will be about 4 inch per side wider. Front will be getting 20mm spacers. I'm doing this so I can use factory BMW wheels. BMW wheels are easy to find and often look good so easy to change the look or have a set of track wheels, skid wheels. 

Photo evidence. 

IMG_20180124_155540.jpg

IMG_20180124_155509.jpg

Discussion thread 

• Like 8

Not much.

But this is the e21 subframe mount tacked on the the e21 subframe. 

IMG_20180104_142243.jpg

Lots of measuring and a bit internet research and I'm happy with where the wheels sit in the guards. 

I am now on the look out for a e34 rear swaybar to retro fit to the e28 subframe and a set of camber and toe plates then the subframe is off to get welded by someone with more metal sticking all than I have. 

On another note. I am keen to upgrade the steering. The factory rack has like 4.5 turn lock 2 lock. 

In Europe they are fitting e46 racks with 3 turns.  They mount a RHD rack on the LHD subframe. Seems to work. But no one can give me any information and bump steer equations don't even seem to come in to it. 

I have done a bit of reading and I'm still no closer to understanding. 

As I will have to buy and import  a LHD rack I want to do the math and make sure it will make it past certification. 

I'm off to look at YouTube videos if any one has any good ones.