Jesse's gx61 mark II Grande

Zerclass Drift Summer Matsuri was awesome, I only picked up the tools to change wheels and had a lot of fun. I didn't really have time to sort my handbreak so went with out but still managed to get the last half of the track 3 linked in 3rd and a few manjis up the straight.It was really cool to have Levi's gx51 out on the track as well. I would have liked to have drifted on the full set of matching wheels more but had trouble getting the 165/65s to bead on the 9j rim after the first set and didnt feel too comfortable using the aerosol method at the track

Here are a few of my favorite photos taken by OS member Barnaby

12622000_10208464145302721_7209541172508

12514011_1099009220130356_79369727875690

12605433_1099004663464145_86085043137812

12615574_1099004150130863_55657645736909

12636902_1098464603518151_816264427_o.jp

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time to get this thing on the ground! 195/45 8j front

e67ko3.jpg

Getting there

24fabli.jpg

Mods that only cost time are good mods

2s9wppi.jpg

Removed the heater and air con unit and have taken this opportunity to Swap the dash over for the tidy one from my previous shell and then swap broken heater vent. Scored a sweet italvolanti horn button from Zebra a while back as well

2iuce95.jpg

zujvww.jpg

250o5cy.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have since put all the dash back together and installed the tape deck with detachable face that came in the rx60. Then I spent around 30 hours hiding what wiring i could in the engine bay and painting intake and cam/timing covers. 

Before

2lvisep.jpg

during 

1zewk8p.jpg

r8whp5.jpg

after 

2iuf788.jpg

Then it was time to head to NZDM's day at Meremere.

2im2kog.jpg

9u83v7.jpg

2yl6a9h.jpg

Woops  :badgrin:

zwe32s.jpg

The more i use this car the more i love it! I noticed while loading car on the trailer the evening before that the idler arm ball joint had about 10mm back and forth play.Al_Feinted to the rescue with a last minute spare which i chucked on at Meremere! I managed to brake one of the rear drive CVs at the end of the day but i have a feeling this was due to my laziness as its the one that i noticed had a split boot.

There's something exciting and very rewarding in drifting in one of these old sleds especially when it all goes to plan!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Have been tinkering away on small things here and there.

Purchased this pretty cool Italian made grant steering wheel off trademe and had my friend Barnaby spin up an adapter to fit the nardi 6 bolt boss kit.

5mquv.jpg

i think it matches the interior a bit better than the shiny gold peyton which has been retired to my daily, I quite like the off centre stitching join 

2qs6ucy.jpg

I then found a piece ive been looking for for quite some time, the illusive centre console hinge intact!! This has always bugged me as the lid always flies off mid drift and it looks too ugly with the lid just taken off. Very stoked!

fk2xhd.jpg

I then Bought a 180sx strut brace from a friend who was stripping a fresh import, unbolted the ends and fixed them to the strut towers for a measure up 

2cr97kl.jpg

dmv8s0.jpg

I then dropped off the cross bar for the steel surgeon to shorten along with my pair of cross fevers to split, i think i went around 5mm shorter eye-eye as the ends have an adjustment thread. Managed to keep the Fet Sports sticker intact for maximum steeze points

2z6yv0p.jpg

The ends will receive the same black engine enamel as the intake manifold. There is around 10mm clearance to the intake, i guess ill just have to see if the engine hits next time i hit the track. Hopefully this offers a bit of rigidity to the 301,000kms chassis

Next mission- Mounting these bloody seats.

I spent a lot more time on this than i would have liked to but got there in the end 

Basically the generic nzkw L brackets wont allow a direct fitment onto my standard rails/sliders without an adapter plate which i then attempted to make from some 6mm flat bar like so:

ettf6f.jpg

I went to move onto the next step of mounting the brackets to the cross bars when i figured out, the sliding mechanism is directly in the way of where my bolts need to go and is protruding above the 6mm plate not allowing the bracket to sit flat without spacing.

This lead to doing what i should have initially done and ditching the sliders. I drilled all the rivet? type things holding the sliders to the mounting points and bolted the 6mm flat bar directly to them like so

20icu38.jpg

repeated the process for all 8 mounting points and then fitted the L brackets

311q8ae.jpg

For all of these i have used m8 bolts with nylock nuts and washers but there is a total of 12 per seat to go wrong, am I better to now weld these in place and ditch these bolts?

The end result is a slightly more social environment,next i would like to get the cassete deck up and running with some speakers! Check out the matching helmets i scored from trademe as well! 

14ipdzm.jpg

Thanks for viewing. 

Here is the discussion link to let me know if these m8 bolts will result in death m8s

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/50005-jesses-1981-corona-mark-ii-grande-discussion/?hl=gx61#entry1628191

• Like 4

• 2 months later...