Jesse's gx61 mark II Grande

Removed red pinstripe and hornet and fitted wheels this morning. Front needs to come down in height which should happen with the engine, gearbox and coilovers being fitted, rear is at perfect height, Previous owner has done some guard work to fit the 15x8 0p wheels so not a lot is needed

25uqseg.jpg

2wn777a.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

started on the removal of the 2jzge from my other x6 chassis sedan

20z7juf.jpg

all the wiring is disconnected from the body and radiator, twin electric fans and support removed, also grabed the trd 8 way shocks out to put in 61 and the whole 2.25 exhaust system which should pretty much bolt in 

dghwmb.jpg

25an5as.jpg

should get the engine and box out this week and freshen up the engine with a new cambelt and waterpump now that i know its a runner 

• Like 4

engine and gearbox out 

nz0g2a.jpg

genuine waterpump and cambelt installed and new oil and filter and few oil leaks tidied up

x561d4.jpg

pulled up top and bonnet off 

s48cbq.jpg

engine and gearbox mounted, getting good at this didnt even need to remove driveshaft 

21j5cag.jpg

2ppzojs.jpg

put the boot badges back on

inh20n.jpg

already started the wiring and have hooked up powersteering,vacuum hoses and throttle cable, hoping to have it running this time next week!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the wiring over the last week, everything functions like it should.

Started looking at my coilovers and noticed one of the inserts had a slight bend so purchased a pair of st185 kyb inserts. Struggled to slide either of them in due to poor sectioning of the casing so decided to flag it and return them in favour of a front pair of s13 bc coilovers. 2dwc4r5.jpg

Will hopefully see my extended LCAs and shortened knuckles in the next week and get the BCs welded onto my casings.

Still need to pump the guards before hitting the track and look into getting a trd lsd or locker for now.

Will post a start up vid in the coming days

• Like 1

Dropped these off at TTT automotive today, he will be grinding off the s13 mounts and making a sleeve to locate them on the casings as the s13 sleeves are 52mm id and the casings are 50mm od. 

5vnfq9.jpg

pieced the interior back together and gave it a quick clean, the great thing from stripping another car as ive replaced almost every broken or missing piece (still to do dash top)

Still needs a damn good vacuum and shampoo throughout 

20fz4gh.jpg

gave the outside a quick wash an that was all today's daylight allowed

2yx2l8w.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Keto Steering Systems LCAs,castor arms and knuckles went in lastnight 

34yy88y.jpg

original castor rods vs new 

2i8769.jpg

knuckles are about 40mm shorter and LCA about 35mm longer 

n3lmw9.jpg

BCs/stub axles came back from crack testing last weekend and were promptly installed 

fx9dft.jpg

wound the front down a bit and set camber to MAX 

25plda8.jpg

sfurli.jpg

wswjts.jpg

this weeks job is to source some new tie rods to suit and then look at getting everything aligned and set up for drifting

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Have spent the past month trying to sort out the tie rods to match the shortened knuckles and longer lcas, for future reference for people doing a similar thing i could source no tie rods longer than the x6 one so had adjustments sleeves made 50mm longer, this was at a cost of $275 from SAS  :doubt:

dwdfyd.jpg

This will be thrown together with new inner and outer x6 tie rods shortly

1z2olr7.jpg

Things still to sort before its useable-

Bcs for the rear

Set up alignment

Experiment with tyre sizes for clearance issues and to get it a bit lower

Locked diff or Lsd 

Possible use before Christmas  :badgrin:

• Like 2

Lock before and after 

2r6p4jq.jpg

Have had issues with rear brakes binding, thinking it was possibly due to piston over extending due to pads being so low so put some new ones in
s2w8w2.jpg

s13 top hats fit with a slight file to the holes, camber is sitting around 6 degrees front, 5 degrees rear
2w50ck7.jpg

awaiting throttle cable 

2cxwyna.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought an MX83 alloy radiator and installed with the twin electric fans i already had. This radiator is bolts directly in place using two top rubber clamps 
post-6783-0-64096200-1448761488_thumb.jpg

Todd then setup the wheel alignment for me up at Eden Tyres with around 4.5 degrees negative camber in the rear and 6 in the front

post-6783-0-72561300-1448761505_thumb.jpg

Taking it out to Meremere on Saturday for a private drift day so i had better have that diff welded A$AP 

post-6783-0-42214200-1448762062_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Year-Time to go on a diet.

I had always planned on keeping full interior but have come to the realization its pointless and just punishing myself when i could send certain pieces off to people who actually require them and in the process give myself a bit more power since i dont plan on adding a turbo.

In the past week ive removed and weighed a few things for curiosity more than anything

front seats 18.6kg each

rear seat 21kg

spare wheel 13.7kg 

sound deadening removed so far 14.2kg

carpet unknown lets say 5kg

=91.1kg 

To remove the sound deadening i used science

20160119_174644.jpg

20160119_184119.jpg

20160119_184135.jpg

- dry ice mixed with isopropynol 

This worked a treat and i highly recommend it, all you do is smash the dry ice with a hammer in a plastic bucket untill its a fine powder(carefull not to break bucket), then you poor in the isopropynol and give it a good mix, i just used a concreting trowel.

It makes a kind of gel which you poor into the area with the sound deadening and let the magic happen. 

This video was pretty helpful 

Ive also acquired a pair of out of date sabelt 6 point harnesses today which will be going in with the new race seat this weekend in time for the ZCD summer matsuri amatuer day next friday in taupo!

2w4bib9.jpg

• Like 4

Seat acquired and installed yesterday in the blistering sun. Have had the motorcycle throttle up and running for a couple of months but haven't taken any photos of the process. I used a cut up bmx handlebar which is bolted to the steering column and used a hole saw on the shroud and had the cable custom made by a brake shop in Mt Eden 

20160123_172458.jpg

Edited by dspec_tt131
  • Like 2