Damiens 1981 Mitsubishi Mirage

So, I finally bought one.

DSC_0132_zpsc1qokaoj.jpg

I was hesitant in buying this one but not many have popped up for sale. Typically, as soon as I get this one a few have popped up on various websites.

I was told that it was a sweet runner, no worries. It wasnt till I handed over the cash is when they started to mention the faults......The joys with dealing long distance.

Anywho, this is my (soon to be once I fix a few things) daily driver. 

It runs the powerhouse 4G11 and yes, it has the SUPER SHIFT

1cd701c1-e93f-45f1-b14c-8541064d4a35_zps

Plans are to add some wheels, some low, and eventually some (slight) power

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Still havent driven this thing home yet. Its been sitting at work waiting for a replacement radiator.

The previous owner said that the radiator leaks and that it has a blown head gasket (after money was exchanged -_- ) They did include a head set.....

When I picked it up from the car haulage company and drove it to work it was puking coolant. The state of the radiator was toast.

DSC_0167_zpshk1xm8ai.jpg

DSC_0170_zpsgrlrjnpt.jpg

Luckily someone was selling a MkI Mirage radiator on Trademe so I scored it, received it and installed it.

DSC_0166_zpsnk5spcxs.jpg

In the hole

DSC_0169_zpso5rxpoau.jpg

I dont think it has a BHG as it struggles to get hot (no thermostat tho) The water that came out wasnt oily. It does need a new water pump (noisy).

• Like 1

Managed to score a cluster with a tacho. Extremely useful for the big RPMs this car can hit!

DSC_0163_zps7ml6uxsx.jpg

So, out with the old....

DSC_0164_zpsn3hvxutt.jpg

...and in with the old.

DSC_0172_zpsmw3gq0tm.jpg

Also found a front bumper thats a bit straighter 

DSC_0171_zpsykln8fmc.jpg

Ive got my eyes on an injected 4G15. Im just waiting for the guy to drop his pants on the price and ill grab it. This was meant to be my daily, its now turning into another project.

Story of our lives!

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Decided to try and find out where this annoying rattle sound was coming from in the engine bay. At first I thought it was the water pump but was actually the tensioner bearing.

So I replaced them both, along with a new cambelt. Also installed a thermostat as it didnt have one and the gauge struggled to move without one.

DSC_0222_zpsqssjrdjo.jpg

All was going well driving this car daily till about a month ago.

It developed (what I thought at the time) a strange miss

The car would run fine and drive in a 50kmh zone ok. When I hit the motorway it would cut out, jerk and run like balls. Young Bigfoot came to my aide one night on SH1.

So, I decided to replace items in the ignition system. I replaced the coil, dizzy cap, rotor, condensor, points, leads and spark plugs all with new items. Unfortunately this didnt fix it.

I described the symptoms to my father and informed that the issue is fuel related. 

Carb off for a clean

DSC_0403_zpscxer9xuy.jpg

Tank out for a clean

DSC_0402_zpselrgudqp.jpg

New (old) fuel filter from Dads parts stock

DSC_0332_zps8d99htmh.jpg

Went to replace the fuel pump and as I removed the pump I found the spring that normally sits behind the lever arm sitting out of place

DSC_0404_zpsllwwhh4c.jpg

Its fitted with a rare 2 piece spring

DSC_0405_zpsqfo2fopx.jpg

Acquired a new fuel pump and installed it

DSC_0401_zpssodq3er1.jpg

Drove it home for the first time since cleaning out the fuel system and it drives like a champ again!

Happy days

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit of a late update

I had seen a full set of XYZ adjustable suspension to suit a Mitsubishi Cedia on Trademe. They were only $100 so I thought id chuck a hundy on em and if I won them ill install them on the Mrs car (Cedia wagon)

struts_zpstnuknjpf.jpg

A week rolls past and I won them for $100. So I pick them up and bring them to work and then I started getting Ideas. "I wonder how hard it would be to put the fronts in the Mirage?"

I pulled a strut out of the Mirage and put one of the adjustable fronts in its place. I was blown away by the fact that the lower perch bolt holes were exactly the right spacing. The only difference was that the gap was 4mm wider and the XYZ use a 14mm bolt whereas the standard Mirage uses a 12mm bolt.

I could have drilled out the 12mm hole to 14mm but I wanted to be able to revert back to standard suspension if needed.

So I got a length of 2mm flat bar and cut 4 bits into shape. I also had some spacers made. 14mm OD and 12mm ID

DSC_0539_zps63daubro.jpg

DSC_0549_zpsikahwset.jpg

For the top of the adjustables I had some new camber plates made to suit

received_523266381181207_zps9rw288zy.jpe

These are the original camber plates on the XYZ

DSC_0527_zpsinvqt1mi.jpg

And the new plates fitted

DSC_0528_zpsetefrpa1.jpg

So all that was left to do is bolt it all in the Mirage

FB_IMG_1445477201149_zpsfvpaattr.jpg

For the rear suspension I went with the 1 way adjustables

DSC_0544_zps7sgezwxr.jpg

I havent got a decent photo of how it sits at the moment but I am super happy with the ride height now. The front springs are a tad stiff so will look out for some softer springs.

I have been using this car daily and I love it. It also appears that maori fullas like it too. Its a daily occurrence for some to yell "Chur bro" at me which is cool with me.

Will upload a pic later 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...