Anglia4's 68 Mustang

anglia4

We are heading to Wanaka next month for a mates wedding. Been planning to take the Mustang but also want to take my mountain bike.

So the other day I widened the roof rack I made for the Cortina to see how it would fit/look and made a bike mount.

41A81733-3B69-4199-8A14-C07A3D284D06_zps

1448BDB8-4B13-410F-B2DF-754336BE1A40_zps

Looks a bit silly but gets the job done  :wink:

I took it to a car show yesterday and the rack got plenty of comments. The guys in the Mustang club weren't fans haha.

I was walking behind a couple of guys who were going on about how it was "Ruined" haha I told them not to laugh too hard as it served a practical purpose and then jumped in and drove off. They looked a bit embarassed at being busted bagging my car.

2DAD3255-D79F-402A-8086-6D428344C15B_zps

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

0910phr_15_z+1968_ford_mustang+driversid

Been looking at wheels a bit for this, I like the torque thrust style but not a fan of the current balloon on 14 style. Dads got a 66 with mild low and 15" magnum 500's and it is perfect.

I think the above would be spot on for my car, they're 16", little bit of a beating with the lowering stick, roll the guard lips. Profit.

It's had a charging fault lately which we narrowed down to the voltage reg, so we've swapped it out for a more modern, reliable and cheaper unit. Stoked.

My new front bumper has arrived as well so can't wait to fit that.

When I first bought the car it had fog lights in the grille but there was no wiring and they were just hanging from the grille mesh... I like the look though so I've got some stainless flat bar and wiring gear to put the in right.

I also rigged up some fans in a hurry once straight off the battery as it was overheating in the Americana parade. So while I'm under there I'm going to wire them in properly with switches and fuses and all those good things.

Lastly, I think it's using way more gas than it should, so I've got a bid going on an EFI manifold from a 96 5.0 as I want to inject it.

• Like 3

I did a wee bit of work over the weekend.

I spent a bunch of time making a nice wiring loom for the fans and fog lights, I've nearly finished that, just need to do the final termination.

I also made some new brackets for mounting the fog lights into the grille.

F18072BD-9277-42DC-AA43-84119CF04B58_zps

Hopefully will get a chance to finish putting that together one evening this week then I can change the bumper this weekend.

I've had to make a bit of a mindset adjustment so that I remember to always use genuine 'merican UNC fasteners too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Ladaspeeds MSPaint photochop and thought "I can do that!"

894d_3_zpsba578c7b%20dropped_zpscb2gqlya

I think it would look better than I expected with a little bit of low on the 14's.

Maybe some Red:

894d_3_zpsba578c7b%20dropped%20Red_zpsdz

I'm feeling the Orange though, I think the colours will go fairly well together and get just enough hate from the oldies.

894d_3_zpsba578c7b%20dropped%20Orange_zp

Original for comparison:

894d_3_zpsba578c7b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I made a start on fitting the new bumper. The old one was never on straight so I've got a few hours of pissing about ahead of me to get it to fit.

93A80A72-1F1A-4B4B-B50D-FC1C00423813_zps

I also stripped down the 96 XR8 manifold I bought to start thinking about my fuel injection setup.

Comparing with the performer289 manifold the ports are a bit smaller so might need to massage them to suit the heads.

Otherwise it looks like it should fit sweet as.

2BB6FF05-E484-4058-8A89-09B2D6DFDEA6_zps

538F4065-DDB8-41D0-940B-8FD0C5EE4E34_zps

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So a while back (just before I bought the car back) a bloke came around to dads and had a bit of a chat and took a few pictures as he was writing a book on mustangs in NZ. Fast forward to the other night when I was at the warehouse and spotted the book on the shelves!

D93F2966-DD2F-4B20-9F50-48028937DCCC_zps

We were renovating at the time so the cars a bit dirty but he mentions that in the story, its a pretty choice book, I recommend it :)

F96D5E5A-0F4A-477C-A4F9-B8575DD75D4D_zps

(hopefully that doesn't breach copyright too bad, all credit to Steve Holmes!)

I haven't taken any pics but the new bumper is on and looking great.

I have bought some springs off trademe so lower it a wee bit, but the rear tyres have always rubbed a whisker with a car full or on big bumps, so I really should roll the guard lips. I borrowed my mates roller a few weeks ago but then didn't have the balls to do it haha.

I'll have another go later, I really want it lower!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The annual Mustang Convention is coming up in Labour Weekend, its a massive event with 120+ cars registered and this year its in New Plymouth.

I thought I'd start getting the beast all spicko the other day and gave it a really thorough wash and dry.

My last phase of the "very thorough dry" was to dry it off with a microfibre, unfortunately I picked up one that I had once used for polishing and left a greasy film of damp polish over every inch of blue paint on the car... Very fucking thoroughly...

So I had to wash the whole thing again to get it off and by that stage it was dark, so not as clean as I had hoped. Oh well.

The kenwood stereo its had since I bought it only gets stations ending in an odd decimal point for some stupid american reason (93.1 93.3 etc) and ALL the local stations are even points. Lately I've been sick of listening to my ipod via a tape adaptor which is starting to pack up, and I found a new CD player I forgot I had, so I got busy today and made a nice bracket and fitted it in. It sounds great, I dunno why I didn't do this years ago.

6791ACAA-63F1-47D4-AF24-D7FF3D1CD420_zps

08666503-A0E9-4B1F-8634-F8C76FA19115_zps

1.6 welds so nice with the TIG, don't even need to use filler :)

6C556943-098F-41D0-8A3C-30A3E54AB33E_zps

5B523385-AAFB-411E-9AEB-4919ACB44A43_zps

Sorry for the state of those photos...

Also, when I brought the car into the country 7 years ago the handbrake lever was broken and it failed compliance on it so we made a "temporary" one to get it through while a replacement came from the states. Its been on the shelf for 7 years and I finally fitted it today.

I bet the fucking thing will break next week and I'll be putting the "temporary" one back on haha

E81E4E29-3D29-4964-9D68-8542128EC633_zps

Ive also bought some spare front springs for 1-way adjustables and will fab some blocks for the rear at some stage.

Then I need to do something about the tyres to allow it to get a bit lower.

I'm not excited about that job though, I'll probably put it off for a while cos I hate putting springs in and out.

• Like 4

• 7 years later...