EthanMk4's '79 Mk4 Ford Cortina

EthanMk4

Hey, so this was my first car, a Mk4 Cortina. Bought it in Hawke's bay a few years back and she's pretty tidy. Daily drove it for a couple years with no problems at all, now i'm at uni in Christchurch so it lives in the shed back home. Hoping to get some work done on it in the breaks. Not a very good photo;

81171089-309e-4987-8ad0-cb0358d4f363_zps

The source of all that power;

d679b152-f14e-4372-8f06-fd61e2da9cc5_zps

Boot full of spares and parts I haven't got around to installing/replacing...

2705099e-8b41-4406-9724-ce39f6d9e319_zps

Previous owner reversed it into a trailer so there's some damage on the boot etc. Other than that she's pretty tidy.

Have done the clutch and rear brakes recently, need to do the front now as the brakes are pretty wicked.

Next things to do will be to get her running nicely again then convert to electronic ignition. Hopefully get the extractors in the boot installed at some stage too.

Discuss

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Taking her in for a wof some time in the next week, hopefully shouldn't need much. She was showing no signs of wanting to start at all which was strange even after sitting for so long, because she usually starts first pop regardless. Quickly figured the dizzy was 180 out hahaha

Sorted that and she fired up straight away to discover my radiator had somehow sprung a large leak. So I installed another radiator as well as one of those electronic ignition kits, new leads, rotor and upgraded coil.
New setup:

of1knfk0.w1i.jpg

Starting, idling and revving well now. Splutters and idles low after being revved a bit, but i'll put that down to the year old gas and dirty carb for now, not a big issue.

• Like 1