Be4vers Galant / Sigma

be4ver

• 1 month later...

Time to investigate the rust situation. The scurge of almost every oldschooler

vtPZAja.jpg

Automotive archaeology. might be better suited to a CSI person

xUFlXOU.jpg

Windscreen or door rubbers must be leaking. The carpet is wet, mouldy and rotten. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum

2uvfgYX.jpg

not real rust here though

Doors on the other hand have all rotted the bottoms right out 

HCeV18N.jpg

now why the fuck would some shit stain go to all the trouble to weld in a patch, bog over it all nice, primer and then match the paint real nice.... and NOT CUT THE FUCKING RUST OUT!!??

even the patch rusted through

nWsGw7k.jpg

GEgOadY.jpg

Back door has had the same treatment, note the cracked paint above the line and the peely paint below

M5KUxe2.jpg

Also has the same thing going on behind the back wheel on one side.

But i haven't found any other rust yet so if its just the 4 doors and a small bit behind the back wheel it's not all bad.

Eyes on the prize!!

T2IYXIZ.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

picked this up yesterday  :D

1I8thtBl.jpg

I was looking into some sort of mivec engine repower but this popped up and was too good to pass up. Also should be a fairly straight forward swap.... in theory anyway.

Its had new rings, bearings, crank grind, re-bored, new water pump, valve grind, head crack tested and resurfaced balance shaft removed and all new seals and gaskets all through it. Hasn't even been started yet. The guy i brought it off got it to put in his L200 but gave up when it didn't fit his narrow block gearbox.

GjE05n8l.jpg

i have no idea why its ended up with a fwd intake manifold on it. If anyone has a rwd one i can buy would be swell. Also wanting a manual pedal box

DQmZ0nrl.jpg

also came with this don't know what throttle body i will or can use yet till i get my loom and computer. Is one better than the other?

uQnqu0El.jpg

never have i seen a mitsubishi engine this clean under the rocker cover! woooo weeeee!

9LAZx8nl.jpg

JSbbbNll.jpg

luckily i haven't caved and sold the gearbox from the EX GSR i wrecked because that will be prefect for this.

So fuck the rust work! I'm pretty excited to get this thing in and running!

does anyone know if the gear box tunnel will need chopping to fit the 5 speed like the auto ex lancers do? and rwd manifold and pedal box please

• Like 1

Pulled the lump out today!

Borrowed this engine hoist off hydraulink next to my work. They put an electric pump on it! best idea ever! made it so easy.

iT4yg3ll.jpg

Except when i nearly smashed my garage door opener

J68U0vEl.jpg

agnjN4Ul.jpg

Once that was out it was time for a can of degreaser.... or two.

JGgQ5kol.jpg

DguCtP1l.jpg

19UHejTl.jpg

My waterblaster even took some of the paint off for me which was handy.

Then I started attacking some of the rusty bits with a flapper disk

FwlxFPBl.jpg

68n5leGl.jpg

Whats good stuff to use to treat shit like this? there is no way in hell in gonna get it all back to nice shiny metal.

Also gave my bumper a quick polish, i thought the chrome was had it but its actually mint :D

ZRxSzu8l.jpg

GQNwnGll.jpg

• Like 4

threw a little paint / rust protection around the place

gbzWUmI.jpg

dog why you do that??

qdKMt0b.jpg

Haven't found what colour i want to paint the car yet so i can't really go much further here till i make a decision.

Figured out the wiring. Hopefully its a simple as it seems so far.

gXt44Ba.jpg

Sussed out a pedal box! The one on the right is from an EX lancer, i simply swapped the pedals from one to the other. Trusty mitsubishi lego.

U5KFFe6.jpg

boom!

swJlyJl.jpg

akzJa4G.jpg

Made for it!

There is even a hole in one skin of the firewall already for the clutch cable

oUjO8uw.jpg

Test fitted a 5 speed and it looks like  i won't need to modify the trans tunnel. Just had to do a wee chop chop to the shifter hole.

kAOmhFH.jpg

So i have 3 gearboxes, one to suit a narrow block from an EX, and two to suit a wide block, one from a turbo EX the other from an L200 i think.

I was hoping to use the turbo ex one (which is what i test fitted) but that requires a hydraulic clutch which won't work with my pedal situation SO i want to use the L200 box with the cable clutch but its shifter position is further back and i don't want to cut the hole in the floor any bigger.

Can these parts of the gearboxes be swapped from narrow to wide gearboxes?

QmZCjjq.jpg

Been messing around with a set of these volks and made a pair that will go on the back. 14x8 with a 0ish offset. Two 8"s are better than four 6"s!

u3mzmAB.jpg

Those back halves to a shit load of cleaning and polishing to get to this point. Still far from mint but thats about all the time i want to invest in them right now.

bYV2wMQ.jpg

Also picked up these starsharks which i'll fit the old lips from my longchamps to. making them 7" wide :D

These will go up front untill i find another set or pair of volk meshs'

9AlGqjS.jpg

Everything is falling into place nicely

• Like 4

So in answer to my question of can the tail sections of narrow and wide block gearboxes be interchanged. NO, the answer is no fuckin way. Not even close hahaha

k7N6ff9.jpg

QzpUvHe.jpg

Miles different.

On the plus side i scored these bushes i needed for my shifter. In the dead stock box of course  :D

thj1jST.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got me another pair of starsharks and polished them.

yzIoa92.jpg

BRMI7dw.jpg

polished them better than my others :/

Tried my hand at painting the engine bay. It went ok, i'd give it a solid B- .... good enough for the engine bay 

MrUbNnI.jpg

RsTfQTC.jpg

pyKppiL.jpg

The rest of the car will be a different paint and a bit darker than this 

i'll get the engine in there soon now hopefilly :D

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

been putting stuff back together

XklCnXul.jpg

think i've got everything i need to make the engine work now. I will be putting an intercooler on it once a get one, that horrible piping is only temporary.

aDCrq1Il.jpg

Got my flywheel back today from being machined. 

Also splashed out and got a heavy duty clutch kit to go with it :D pink means it goes fast right?

So that will all be getting put on and the engine can go back in! 

W0rVAzfl.jpg

wish they were a  little wider. But they look pretty good.

95QMG1Hl.jpg

scored this random set of 13x7s though which i might slap on for the mean time. Think i'll just swap the tyres i have on the steelies to them for shits n giggles. They have a pretty sweet offset.

fK3f31Fl.jpg

8m2ynhxl.jpg

5zBNktMl.jpg

2wwtr4pl.jpg

lowrider

• Like 2

Ok so I just bolted the engine in and it turns out it sits about 60-70 mm further forward than I thought it would. That's all great news for firewall clearance but the gearbox xmember is too far forward, the driveshaft too short and the hole I cut for my shifter was a waste of time!

Can someone tell me if there is an alternative engine crossmember I can put in there to sit the engine back to where it seems like it should be?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

been slowly getting this engine wiring sorted out. Everything seems to be working as it should, have got spark and injector pulse. Weekend mission is to get oil and filter on and it, fill with coolant and sort out the fuel pump situation. With all that done it should in theory fire straight up!

7d4mBBh.jpg

M6UT9Pa.jpg

SM4aqSu.jpg

Purchased this lip, its going to be a shit to mount but it will look the part when its on there.

bmfkp7U.jpg

And just for something different i tried some wheels on.
SSR MK3s 14x7.5s.

They fit pretty sweetly but the front guards will need a good rolling.

bxvum4Y.jpg

QS1C2sd.jpg

Also done this just to liven the engine bay up a bit

8Xt4qFK.jpg

sorry about the shitty pics!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

So once i got the oil and filter on it was time to push this out of the shed, fill it with water and fire it up!

wUhWerY.jpg

So shortly after filling with water i proceeded to try start it up. It done about 2 cranks and then would not crank anymore. hmmm whats going on here?

oK03zc4.jpg

FUCK this is not good!!

so it turns out i might have put a water line to a port in the inlet mani which wasn't supposed to have water go in it. This subsequently filled the bores with water nearly hydraulicing the engine! luckily it didn't fire!

Had to take the whole intake apart which sucked.

ExXiUDa.jpg

Anyway after all that it started and run! woooo hooo!

After all that i finished up wiring for the most part. Shit i hate wiring. Replaced all the shitty 30+ year old mitsi plugs with deutsch plugs. I still need to make a new cable from the battery to starter to tidy it up a bit and extend the air flow meter wiring.

kCme4uk.jpg

jBNIHx8.jpg

xSPgL0P.jpg

Also got the ecu mounted all mint but didn't take any pics of that so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Video of running (no trans fluid though oops)

http://instagram.com/p/umbo13qZaw/?modal=true

sFHA1b7.jpg

Got the drive shaft all installed and the car actually moves under its own power now!! had a small panic when i backed it up and remembered it had no brakes. Would not have been such a successful day had i ended up backing into the mark 2!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Got this out for its first road test this weekend! be it a very small noisy and dodgy road test!

Everything seems to be working fine, except the cover on the back of the gbox rubs on the driveshaft making a horrible horrible noise.

Also sussed out the speedo cable problem i had. The gbox end of the galant one originally had a square drive and the new box has this which uses a keyway type thingo. As luck would have it an EX Lancer has a cable with that end and the speedo end is identical to the galant. It was also slightly longer which made fitting it that much easier!

it even seems to be reading pretty much correctly - 5-10km low.

nzAWXWs.jpg

Since i probably won't be painting this for some time i've been toying with the idea of putting on some old racing livery on it. 

Started with this but it came out a little average

BcmBLZJ.jpg

fRvIF2C.jpg

LqreGPz.jpg

YOHH9uE.jpg

some thing like this tickles me

R70135.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another fairly average update but I did some stuff.

I had this old steering wheel that the leather was all shit and hanging off so I had a go at recovering it with some old vinyl stuff I had sitting round.

XgQwFTol.jpg

After having a fang on the mrs sewing machine I also made a boot for the gear stick.

ArLHBjEl.jpg

Colour coordinated as hell

6hdQ9Otl.jpg

Vvv2MGsl.jpg