Ae86 struts, welding Coilovers - How To.

Brennan

Thought I would do a small "how to" for Ae86/Ke70 Coilovers, to share some knowledge. Since this style of Strut is becoming pretty common in projects on here.
This should also work for others, Cressida etc.
Dont hold me to anything i type on here, this is my experience to the best of my memory. Double check all measurements etc

null_zps9ef057a5.jpg

First of all you will need to pick which companies coilover “kit” you want to use.
I decided to go with Powered by MAX in the end as I had some pretty good first hand feedback from people using them on there Corolla.

de64a524-69ec-4d27-9375-060f17c929ba_zps

I was also seriously considering these XYZ coilovers, before i decided on MAX.
11831725936_9b87846582_z.jpg

Because I was buying them for a later model ke70 that has the same chassis as a AE86 but smaller non-vented brakes. I thought I would start with Gx71 Cressida struts. These are the same if not bigger than Ae86 Struts and have vented brakes like the Ae86 but are much easier to find and cheaper.

null_zps5aeb2521.jpg

1983 Ke70 VS 1986 Gx71??

Once I had these and the Max Coilovers. Using Clints handy diagram that i checked with my certifier.

11831798646_cb9ab33c96_z.jpg

null_zps8fb5d953.jpg
I then marked 60mm on the strut I then cut them off with a drop saw. I’m sure an angle grinder would work if your careful.
After this you can remove all the paint of the strut ready for welding.
null_zps3f191bbf.jpg

For this step you will want to pay somebody who is decent with a welder, to TIG them together. (Apparently it does not have to be done by somebody who is certified.) The certified engineer I used, welded right around the base of the Coilover tube, and then did 4 plug welds towards the top.

null_zps9dfe7b40.jpg

Once this has been completed you will want to get them crack tested.
After I had already had them tested and painted. I found out that this MUST now be done by a certified Crack tester. Somebody who has the Certificate ANSI level 2 CBIP or equivalent.
The only place in Palmerston North that has this is FieldAir, the aeroplane engineers at the airport.

There must be others around the country.

Once painted you will have a fully adjustable Coilover, hopefully something like this? or better? 

null_zpsc369a212.jpg

Note:
If you want to used the larger gx71 Cressida Struts on your Ae86/Ke70, you will need to also purchase some of Techno Toy Tuning’s hybrid Steering Knuckles and Roll Centre Adjusters. As the bolt spacing is a little larger on the cressida.

11831846606_ebd351cb1e_z.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...