Sam's 75' Datsun 620 Utility.

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/38422-sams-75-datsun-620-utility/

I've been looking for something to replace the Hunter wagon. Sadly everything old & Jap seems to be mega dollars. However I spotted this 620 down the road from my place down a driveway....long story short Its now mine.

Its still got the factory J15 Motor & 4 Speed column change. Seems to go pretty well, factory wheels that look to have been widened at some stage, interiors pretty good, factory radio, mint dash etc.

Needs some rust repairs but meh... Its a Datsun.

Pics;

SAM_5255_zps4e285f8e.jpg

SAM_5256_zpscda92704.jpg

SAM_5262_zps3737d918.jpg

Rust:

SAM_5257_zpse80a4c0d.jpg

SAM_5258_zps92b45c27.jpg

SAM_5259_zps67f26651.jpg

SAM_5261_zps38869644.jpg

So jobs required are:

*Fix rust

*Give it a much needed tidy up

*Remove gaymax window tints

*new carpet
*Lots of Low

*White walls?

*Bullet style centre caps or Find some hubcaps

• Like 3

Right whist it wasn't raining I decided to make a start on the rust. one thing lead to another......There is lots of rust.

SAM_5265_zps0c7741c8.jpg

There is loads of this rubbery putty shit around all the joins. It seems to be holding the moisture against the metal causing RUST

SAM_5277_zpsa3dc9928.jpg

Behind the LH Sill/ Cab mount....Fuck.

SAM_5276_zps28e7bb08.jpg

L/H rear cab mount. Note to previous owner: Black silicone & mud is not a rust repair..

SAM_5273_zpscb044342.jpg

Under the dash, Not as bad as I thought

SAM_5272_zps9e1151b4.jpg

Random rust in door. Moisture got behind the bog

SAM_5271_zps06057319.jpg

I was expecting this part to have huge amounts of rust but no. luckily.

SAM_5270_zps90b85607.jpg

Inside, rust around the seat belt buckle anchor is pretty bad:

SAM_5266_zpsbc54162f.jpg

The floor wells are remarkably solid

SAM_5268_zpse6c9b645.jpg

And lastly Top of the Left rear cab mount... More black silicone rust repairs:

SAM_5267_zpsafadb91b.jpg

Lots of work to do. Its not too bad. Serves me right for buying a Jap over a Brit.

• Like 3

Ok so most of the patching is done. There was a lot more rust than I expected. And 90% was in the floor.

Patches:

SAM_5282_zps5dc52051.jpg

SAM_5283_zps0866dee4.jpg

SAM_5284_zps57b34b7c.jpg

This bit was the hardest. The inner & outer sill were just rotten. So I had to make a new inner and outer. I think it looks pretty good considering the metal work tools I have (A grinder & a hammer.)

SAM_5287_zps052ae3d5.jpg

There are loads more patches underneath, Mostly around the cab mounts. The L/H middle cab mount was completely gone. 

The rest of the rust is fairly minor, a bit of rust kill & some paint should suffice.

SAM_5286_zps364cf835.jpg

SAM_5285_zps8313ac17.jpg

Next thing to do is wire brush the inside floor of the cab & apply some Por15 or Hammerite. (I prefer Hammerite because British) Same story With under the cab where I have made repairs. Then Fish oil underneath.

• Like 1

I finished wire brushing & cleaning the floor. Started hammeriting all the rust. I got quite a bit done most of the underneath stuff, and spots around the cab. Then I Ran out of hammerite. Mitre 10 wanted $50 for a 500ml... dreaming. Only $22 at work. In other news I went and stripped a very rusty 620 ute of a couple bits and bobs. It was so rusty that When i opened the door the whole A pillar came off with the door & fell to the ground.

I was so stoked to find an ignition barrel with matching Key! No more screwdriver starting

SAM_5289_zpse6658689.jpg

And a early shape grille: Top vs My one: Bottom. It Needs a repaint Bit is in pretty good nick.Might alternate between these.

SAM_5290_zps80aa0c59.jpg

And 1x Hubcap...

• 2 months later...

Oh hai. Its been a while. With motivation levels abnormally high, I pulled the datsun out of the shed & set at the task of getting it legal.

First on the to do list was put it all back together & give it a wash with Jiff... Jiff removes all that pesky over spray & heavy oxidization from paint. Cheers Jiff.

Next paint up the shitty old widened steels in red and give the rusty hubcaps a good polish. All of which resulted in this:

SAM_5389_zps468a0386.jpg

Looks pretty sharp if I do say so myself. Then today I ran it through for a wof check expecting the worst. This is what happened:

SAM_5390_zpsb8af0a69.jpg

Pretty stoked so I have the replacement light & hose clamp but I have to wait until tomorrow for the Tie rod end ex Auckland. No weekend cruising for me.

Also I may have found a wellside deck. Checking that out this weekend.

• Like 1