Rt84 corona project

Guest Corona_man

Guest Corona_man

Iv decided to start a build thread on my 1973 RT84 corona. This is my first build thread and its going to be slow as I'm full time at polytech, and don't get a lot of time to work on it. I bought it off trademe from down in Christchurch, and got it shipped up to tauranga. It's got a lot of rust all through it and panels arnt the best. Interior is rough but all the exterior and interior trim is there, just missing the chrome sill strip that runs along the bottom on both sides. Some people won't agree with this part but that's your opinion haha. I'm putting a 12a rotary in it. I'll post updates as I slowly progress

Project discussion

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/37351-my-rt84-12a-corona/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Corona_man

ni2hmxmu.jzr.jpg

Taking the motor out. engine bay is going to need a big tidy up

yabk3fld.2sd.jpg

wnl1jqn3.erz.jpg

Fitting the new 12a in. Bit of a mission getting in in,over the radiator support

Guest Corona_man

i have the 12a sitting in there but there is no way enough room in the gearbox tunnel. I was hoping i would fit it in there with no cutting but thats not going to happen haha. iv had to cut the top the the gearbox tunnel off.

It was abit of a mission getting all the original underseal off the floor. after about half n hour of pissing around with a hammer and screw driver, i found a much easier way. i had a old air hammer gun lieing around in the dust,gave that a whirl and it ripped it off in a few minuites.

rivfr5fo.enw.jpg

xgvkwxtr.y1r.jpg

Guest Corona_man

So i cut the tunnel and got it sitting in place with the jack and couple of bits of wood. iv got heaps of photos but it takes awhile taking them off my ipad and transfering them to the computer, then uploading them on here. if anyone knows how i can upload to this forum,straight from my ipad that will help heaps.

awxfwp1q.ffk.jpg

dra3iewv.q3d.jpg

Guest Corona_man

these series 5 gearboxs are tall. iv lifted up the motor as much as i can but iv hit a problem. The sump is at the front of the engine and its hitting on the cross member. i need a rear sump. I think early 12a from rx2s are rear sumps. iv looked aorund but cant find any, i might just modify this sump. im on a roll with this ill have some more updates this weekend

Guest Corona_man

Alright took the motor out and took the sump off. I marked it up where I need to modify it. I turned the sump around 180 degrees and all the bolts line up except 4 of them, so Il just re-drill them. And I have to cut the 2 front corners off to clear the cross member. I think as Iv welded it ,it's warped abit. I won't know till its all bolted up and I have oil in it.

6535fda00b20231f0064502b409e2434_zpse83db094.jpg

767df19df4bbeee2282f04c82ff7ead3_zpsc3adaa53.jpg

Guest Corona_man

Sump all done. Had to mod the pick up line as well. Just had to add in abit of extra length and cut a few angles, nothing major. Also made my own cork gasket for the sump. Only one I could find was a genuine Mazda one for $80 , no thanks.

5f42742584f9828e3aad757c1996c1e2_zpsb306fa8f.jpg

16ad7c85ca6d4703e60003ab59aff15b_zps29028e48.jpg

Pick up modded and bolted into place

8c9f71dcf82a583a9b4bb0eefa56d7df_zpsd10b614d.jpg

Found a app to upload pictures directly to forum from my ipad. Made it so much easier.

Guest Corona_man

Also have cut off old engine mounts from the cross member. I'm going to have to make up new mounts,as the rotary is mounted on the front of the engine. I made up a front breast plate with a bit off 6mm plate. Found some mounts to use as well . Not sure if there certable though, as they are mounted with a bolt right through the centre of them.

Engine all sitting in place ready to make up some mounts.

e5c406fffad3c21c1288ee105b8480c6_zpsef9044c1.jpg

This is the front breast plate I rigged up, should do the job

40b6c14d1b89a2c75952b8326c7b4a5a_zpsee08cd43.jpg

Guest Corona_man

Have also made up my gearbox cross member. I used some rubber mounts off a toyota estima. They'll work perfect. Only problem I had is, the series 5 gearbox sits and almost a 45 degree angle to the original gearbox crossmember. I just cut the cross member and welded a new piece in on the same angle. Turned out quite good.

3fe9d5fb4bf43ac6e291d3f093115d09_zps43857bba.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Corona_man

Little bit more of a update. The front part of the engine bay,where the radiator mounted, was a little but to narrow. I cut a section out and moved it across about 150mm. Now my new radiator will fit in there nicely.

dee9e51e2356c0952c6aa67d196b6e31_zps837c2267.jpg

871ba81e02c4e1269291bd3bff19674d_zpsafab3129.jpg

Guest Corona_man

Little bit more progress. Got the radiator mounted up. Just got it sitting in place,at the right height. Then all I had to do was make up some brackets to bolt to the existing radiator, where the original one was bolted on. Just used some nolethane bushes cut in half for mounts. Sitting in there nicely. I lifted it up as much as possible so it will get maximum air flow. Iv istartedmount my oil cooler also

db34e13151ba803560cc7d5f4689d109_zps852f26aa.jpg

a51874b104623c4a7833d77990edceb2_zpsa70af79f.jpg

Guest Corona_man

Today I got a little bit more done. I mounted up my oil cooler. It's just a second hand one ATM, it will do the job ,and I'm hiding it behind the grill,so you won't see it. Otherwise I would of gone for a nice new shiny one haha. Wasn't to hard to mount. Just had to make up a couple of small brackets and weld them to the front panel,couple of 6mm bolts welded on each side, and done, one oil cooler mounted.

8312503a82dd73493f4a54f1a1ccc975_zpseab95566.jpg

b58c88c294eb57fe381bbc9bc9ae21b1_zpse6ca9a9f.jpg

Guest Corona_man

I was hopping to get stuck in this long weekend and get abit done but that's not going to happen. The bro got a launch to borrow so we are going over to mayor island for a couple of night and going to slay some big snapper....well that's the plan haha.

Next on the list is to sort out the wiring. I think I'm going to make a new loom. I used to be a electrician before I decided to be a mechanic and that's payed of big time with cars. I want to go for a bare, clean looking engine bay, I don't want any wires, where its possible.

I'll keep it updated. Please let me know what you think so far and any suggestions on my build discussion thread. It's good getting feedback from everyone on here . Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Corona_man

Haven't had any updates in a long time. Iv put the corona on hold,as I have another project I got and just want to get that finished and sell it on

• 1 month later...

So I got all the wiring sorted out, I got rid of all the wires that are not used, and I re-run all wiring around the out side of the engine bay, and behind the guards. I had to extend almost all the wires. Will look good having no wires in the engine bay though.

ca502c72a4d47f588b94ec87cd79fe6f_zps61ae

22a502b35642729884e874232a8f6506_zpsb417