why car not go into first gear??

KIRK

yeh some client of mine is going home to his country and wants to sell me his 94 nissan bluebird. Is manual, fwd.

He said first gear stopped working a few months ago so he drives around with 2nd-5th gear.

when you try to put it into 1st it makes that errrrrrrng noise like if you try put car into reverse while its rolling forwards.

thats all the investigating i did as i had work to get done.

Please tell me your thoughts before i investigate further. Might buy this weekend, he leaves on monday.

thanks

yeh duno. it wont actualy go into gear tho if you knwo what i mean(edit: it just makes that errrrrng noise when you try to). would be selector fork not doing its thing right?

i have no idea how car gear box work.

well i've looked at pictures and even taken one apart but tbh i'm stupid. have played with motorbike gearbox but not the same?

yeh i ment selector fork inside that moves the 1st gear cog is not doing its thing as it should maybe?. But i might be talking motorbikes here.

but you think maybe the stuff on the outside(linkages/cables/whatever it has), is sloppy?

so are you saying its a stripped gear or a clutch issue?

i want to change my discription to 'errrring' like the sound you hear when you try to put a car into gear without pushing the clutch in or in a movie when an american trys to drive stick shift

but you can get it into first and drive it right? Hard to diagnose things when they aren't in front of ya. Have you tried putting it in gear with the motor off, then starting with the clutch in and trying to take off? If it moves forward on it's own, clutch. if it moves forward as normal, synchro issue. If it fails to move and makes the noise, gear is stripped. therefore box most likely ruined. Sounds unlikely to me tho, all the other gears would have suffered from debris damage.

no but your thoughts line up with my estimations. It wont actualy go into first gear. engine on or off, it makes the noise when you try to get it into gear(with the engine on). I didn't try for long or very hard tho.

2-5 works fine, as does clutch i think