Seedy Al's '71 VW Bay Window Bus (Im now a hipster)

Seedy Al

Hey guys

Just posting pics for now as need to get back to work

Anyway, its a 1971 Low Light early bay Window

originally from Cali, so is left hook etc

Slam was done By Type two Dectives in England. Which looks like a narrow beam in the front etc

has Air bags int he rear, and did have them in the front but had to removed for import Complaince.

Anyway

IMG_9462.jpg

IMG_9463.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg

IMG_9466.jpg

IMG_9467.jpg

Will take better pics once I can

Discuss Here

• Like 4

Ok. The full Story

So yeah, its a 1971 Bay Window.

Was originally A Cali Bus with allt he seats and that Jazz.

The chick who i bought it off, was living in England at the time, She spent ages looking for the right one to buy over in America, and chose this one.

She brought it over to England, where she had the Type two Dectives have a burn on the suspention

http://www.type2detectives.org/

Still havnt had a chance to get it up on the hoist, but the beam has been narrowed by them.

the Lass also has done lots of other work, converted into mild camper, rock and roll style bed seat. Wooden floor, nerw carpet in front, and new interior panels on everything. new roof lining etc.

She also has had the under side stripped and Coated by the looks.

has Air bags in the back currently, and did have them in the front, however it failed when she moved over here and brought the bus with her, as the front bag plates have been welded to the factry cast arms.

I'm not sure at this stage how I am going to over come this, as i want bags all round, but clearly welded to cast isnt going to cut it.

Anyway, Plan is to get it legal again (has been off the road since end of 2009,) So far I ahve noticed the speedo is not working, so will need to find out if its been removed or is just broken.

Then eventually I want this thing fucken boned on its arse, seeing as no-one else IN nz is keen to go all oput crazy on these, and I fucken LOVE slammed Vans.

Which means a bit of chassis notching and tubbing in the fronty to clear wheels.

However, the cert it already has , has notched front chassis on it already, so I can probabaly get away with doing it all with a another recert, although i really should.

Also going to mean a trans and engine lift, however I havnt dont much study on this besides that I may need to change the trans to a type 1 as i assume they dont hang so low,

So I'm still learning the vehicle anyway, will brin in my low jack tomorrow so i can get it on the hoist and see what the suspention really looks like.

Chur!

Also want to get a pin strip white wall done on the tyres, and polish the shit out of the hub caps.

Im in love anyway,

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

IMG_9472.jpg

IMG_9474.jpg

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9476.jpg

Also, not really a fan of the rack, might try moving it to the back...... but even then I think I\m going to be a bit Meh about it. its too blingy for my liking.

Still want one tho, need to carry my bikes somehow haha

peace

• Like 5

Just another update of pics I get through it

nothing exciting

So looks like full custome T2D front beam, adjustable front shocks and beam adjusters

Has a chassis notch in the front as expected to clear the front steering arms, Looks to be of typical Pomy Qualtiy, pretty shit, but hey its there.

back has custome spring plates, bit of a notch to munt the top of the bags to the chassis.

After market brake master cylinder, not sure why....

And an engine.

Also a patch panel has been dont under the battery, which is all g!

IMG_9490.jpg

Notch

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9484.jpg

nicely built beam

IMG_9483.jpg

IMG_9481.jpg

rear bags

IMG_9480.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

As for options on getting it lower.

the engine looks like it can probabaly go up an inch, maybe and inch and a half easy, with a small bit of modding to where the selctor connects to the gear box.

Does anyone know why people use a differnet box when doing a engine trans lift?

To me, what looks like the hardest part is where the rear trailing arms connect to the outer spring beam. It hans pretty low, lower than the floor, which is what i am planning on lowering this down to.

Anyone have any sugestions there? i could almost cut it off flat, and ad some extra bolts in other places... but not sure.

As you can see in this pic, the chissis is the piece running horrizontal, and the bit whith the hoist arm sitting on it is a bit lower.

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9494.jpg

Chur anyway

Hmmm....... looks like I also have a seized speedo cable. balls

• Like 1

ha...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hm.......

you fucken wouldnt believe it unless i showed you

IMG_9497.jpg

IMG_9496.jpg

Fuck yes, had some time to kill t the end of the day so thought I might head down and change ownership etc at VTNZ, then thought, fuck it, might as well find out what work i might need to sort out on this.

BOOM,

Clean sheet WOF

I am fucken happy as a Kid in a ball pit

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Have been using this on and off

Decided to take it for a trip down to welly as I am on holiday

However, on the trip back, shit turned terrible

Started running funny just by levin

Managed to nurse it to dannevirk where it got worse, running on 3 and all sorts

THANKS heaps to Kiwi gasser, who just happened to pull up to the BP station I was parked up at trying to figure out what next.

And then Huge thanks also to Joker for giving me the Tow back to gassers shop.

Anyway, played around with stuff there. thought I had it running all good so said good bye to the guys, after adjusting the tappets after finding out there was no clearance. IE, the valves are wearing into the seats in the heads. Dumb, but I guess expected with a 40 year old motor, and the non leaded fuel we love so much.

Anyway got just out of Danneverk, and it totallty cut out, no igintion at all.

So I called up another Boe from the Hawkes Boe Massive.

FUCKEN MASSIVE THANKS TO OLD NATHAN!!!!

Who loaded up his car trailer and made the trip down to give me a tow back

I now suspect it could be a condeser fault or broken wire in the dissy, so have a whole bunch of new stuff on its way.

Talk about a stressful day, plus I missed my tattoo Appointment, gutted.

Pics

visted Manu's new shack

IMG_9744.jpg

IMG_9745.jpg

brken down at the truck stop out side of dannevirk

IMG_9747.jpg

IMG_9749.jpg

and just unloading back at the shit

IMG_9750.jpg

I also ended up buying a complete vw for the motor off one of the guys the Danneverk guys know.

Will replace and build up a fresh motor for this at some point.

FUCK I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY!

• Like 1

Average update

have replaced the spark plugs with new ones,

Have a new set of leads ready to go on.

removed the dissy before and have noticed a bits of the wire from the coil to the pints that has been pinched, so i have a feeling this could be the problem

So will replace the wire and fit new points and condensor also. I'm pretty confident that this is going to fix my problems

IMG_9771.jpg

I also need to fix the exhaust leak that it has, mainly since jacking up the back of the car on the motor and it moving one of the tail pipes, and then smashing the same pipe loading it onto the trailer due to its slam

Unlucky but thats life, should be easy enough

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so after changing all the elctrics etc, it was concluded this has a more seriuos fault other than just that.

So after getting stuck in my trip to wellington, i ahd arranged a new motor thanks to good old Kiwigasser.

Drove the bus over hawkes boes, and basicly it developed a huge oil loss problem, out the exhasut and also somewhere else, so conclusion is it is fucked, well for now anyway. even ran out of oil at one point. woops.

So yeah, pulled the new motor out of the volksrod that it lived in, and just need to get that back to work tomorrow for a tidy up and swap over of parts

And pulled the motor out of the Bus just this afternoon.

you have to hand it to VW, they really make it easy. i had the motor out of the bus in 40min.

However, i forgot it might have a broken engine mount, which it does. this is a set back, as i need to order a new one before I fit the motor. Fucken dumb.

might get it sitting in there tomorrow and leave it till the mount turns up, which hopefully I can get on Saturday delivery

Anyway, average pics

motor out of the volksrod

IMG_9835.jpg

Motor out of the Bus

IMG_9838.jpg

and a cunty broken mount

IMG_9840.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hah, what shit updates

So I did the engine swap, had to pull the motor out again becasue i fucked up putting the rear main in, leaked like a mofo, second one still leaked but only a little so was ok.

So decided to take it away for new years, and over the break left it with Von Mako in Masterton. Guy is amazing

So fucken happy with his work

No so happy with the fact on the way home last night I managed to heat sieze (or something seize anyway) the other motor

I am not having much luck with these VW things thats for sure

So I now have a sweet looking van with two fucked motors.

I feel so happy. Not.

Anyway, Von mako's Work

2012-12-24_13-33-06_148.jpg

2012-12-24_14-05-42_296.jpg

2012-12-24_14-07-17_757.jpg

2012-12-24_15-00-17_533.jpg

2012-12-30_13-01-59_765.jpg

I'll get a pic of it on the car when I get a chance to charge my camera.

Also big ups To Uterus for the Flat tow home last night, ladies, give that man a Blowey

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...