CatatonicChimp's 1977 Trabant 601

So... progress report time... 

Brakes: working kinda... apparently two of the drums are slightly warped and are causing the brakes to stick... ordered new drums to hopefully fix the issues. 

Lights: All working, new centre brake light has arrived from the USA and will be installed tomorrow. 

Seatbelts: Arrived at Auckland mail centre and should be here monday. 

Windows: Rear, and Sides have been installed. the front however shattered during install and is now in a few thousand pieces. 

The glaziers have agreed to pay for the shipping costs, so I ordered a new windscreen last night from Germany, 60euros for the glass and 68euro for the shipping. Since its a fixed price for shipping based on max weight/volume I also got some extra little bits and pieces that had previously been uneconomical to buy without having to purposely buy them like spare 6v lights and petcock kits etc. So hopefully that will be here in 3 or so weeks.

Lessons learnt this week are: don't forget to remove paper wrapping from the bumper before going for a test drive... especially when that paper is butting up against the very hot front muffler, no damage done, but it freaked me out for a few minutes, "Why do I smell something burning under the bonnet".

Edit:

Other items that have moved up the list since I am waiting on the the windscreen.

- Speedo maintance, discovered that the speedo only seems to report 0 or 40kph as its speed... so will have to disassemble and give it a bit of lubrication I think.  

- Trim pieces, for the tops of the fenders/doors and roof trim, I need to removed all the old sealant that was on them and polish them up and then screw them in with only new sealant for the roof trim. 

- The rear seat needs to come out and get the new covers put on, they are not nearly as bad as the original front seat covers, but I have the replacements so I may as well use them.

- Interior side cards need to be installed properly with correct mounting hooks and screws.  

• Like 2

So a couple of things you may notice in the video... 

a) the gear map is just leftover from when I sent it into get the brakes done. (I know what the gear mapping is without looking.)

B) finding the gates for the gear is rather difficult, and it doesn't help that I just rotated the gear leaver about 25deg counter clockwise, as my thigh was causing the gear lever to pop out of reverse when looking over my shoulder. It will need further adjustment as now 2nd and 4th are hard to grab behind the wheel. 

c) I haven't driven a manual in about 9 months so much clutch work was also shit... (please forgive god of clutches)

d) a bunch of the noise you hear on the second downhill section is the brakes rubbing... new drums are on way to hopefully fix that.. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the rollercoaster of emotion that one gets from starting at nzpost tracking data.. or lack thereof...  my two boxes from germany have arrived... 

Windscreen appears to be intact, but I will wait till I get home before I unpack it completely and confirm that fact. 

Small box is heavy as hell... I guess thats is mostly the 4 new drums I ordered... 

P1qws7kl.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good News Everyone
8JCCv2K.png?2

I decided to give windscreen installation a try and it went in... without a problem. 

1D2GpXcl.jpg

and just a few minutes ago... I booked the Trabant in for Entry certification this week. YAY!!!

Its actually a little sooner than I expected, but I need to get it rego'd asap as my VW is stuck in the shop with a massive water pump failure and a shitty gearbox. 

Edit: me no write good english. 

• Like 3

I've picked the car up from the entry certifier... couple of things that need fixing.

- Centre stop light has no standards on it, (already fixed last night with a crappy looking Narva centre light, had to replace the 12v bulb with 6v but works fine)

- poor performance on R|R brake, (basically the slave cylinder failed and contaminated the brakes, so that needs a rebuild. I ordered new parts.. hoping it arrives in less than 20 days.)

- brakes dragging on two wheels (going to replace all the brake drums with the new ones I have at home)

- Windscreen washer + horn where marked as not working, but that was because it wasn't operated correctly or he couldn't figure out how to test. 

- Play in steering rack. -hopefully it just requires a bit more grease and a slight adjustment, worst case is its the bushing and requires new parts... . 

- Too much play in brake pedal.. so partly rear brake failure to blame, and probably needs some tinkering with the piston position. 

- Headlight aim needs to be fixed. 

- possible bearing failure R|R, could be related to the brake cylinder failure, will have to see when I get it up on the jacks. 

• 1 month later...