AE80 Suspension upgrade.

Frosty

Looking at replacing the the very tired and soft springs and shocks in my AE80.

At first glance it looks like the AE80's run different struts and springs to the AE82 and 92, but the AE82 runs the same shell as the AE80.

Can someone confirm weather or not the whole strut and spring assembly can be swapped over? Or do I also have to change the hubs and arms?

The main reason I ask is because the AE82 and AE92 setups are as common as mud and cheap to replace while it is difficult to even get a parts listing to suit the AE80.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Ae80 should be the same as ae82...not the same as ae92

You can check on toyodiy.com

Um I have checked and while the AE82 and AE92 are quite different to look at they do use common bits in the suspension at least, brakes, engines and gearboxes to.

If you check you will find that the AE80 is the odd ball and the AE82 and 92 use the same struts and springs.

Check the King and Monroe catalogues you will see for your self.

I am pretty much 100% sure the ae82 and ae92 top hats for suspension are different, the struts themselves can be used.

Yea I can't say I have played with an ae80 so there could well be old ball things, will have a look and see what help I can offer,

I am pretty much 100% sure the ae82 and ae92 top hats for suspension are different, the struts themselves can be used.

Yea I can't say I have played with an ae80 so there could well be old ball things, will have a look and see what help I can offer,

The top hats are different but the struts and springs are the same, no biggie to swap them over even if I have to scrounge some 82 hats and spring mounts for the top, it's the hub end and overall length I'm worried about especially on the drum rear.

I can take some measurements if that will help.

Even with the stuffed shocks and springs the car car stops very well so if I can retain the factory hub and brakes that would be good. it's one less job to do.

Like I said in my original post the AE80 and 82 shells are the same, so I'm not worried about the body side of the job, it's the other end of the strut that gives me cause for concern.

Looking into a 4A-F carb engine conversion with a 7A-FE block inserted at a latter stage, close to 4A-GE power but with a factory carb and emissions control bolt in and no need for a computer, so if there are any changes in the hubs and lower arms that need to be done now's the time to sort it all out.