Ryan's TE71 drift hack

Discussion - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34803&view=unread#unread

Alright so this is the new project

The plan with this one is to spend as little as possible on the body and turn it into a bit of a drift missile.

The body is a early TE71 sprinter-trueno coupe that i picked up for a nice sum of $250 off ae25/mark

(excuse the shit phone pics)

20120701102845.jpg

20120701121602.jpg

Shes real rusty but solid where is counts

I brought a blacktop 4age from a wrecker but when it turned up and i started pulling it apart for the new timing belt, waterpump etc. Ive found its a silvertop bottom end with a blacktop top which is a nice surprise

20120613195109.jpg

The gearbox wil just be a standard T50 with a yet to be decided clutch

20120709185831.jpg

Suspension wise, ive brought Brendon Dunkers custom D2s out of his green machine and put on some AE86 slotted discs (ive forgotten the brand name but it starts with Z) and project MU pads

The rear suspension will be using a coilover shock system and ill just strengthen the pin on the diff housing. Im not going to bother with strengthening the top

20120709185810.jpg

A few skid tyres i picked up cheap

20120607154259.jpg

And my Techno TRVs that im going to get widened

20120526183022.jpg

Diff wise ive got a TA22 T series drum that im just going to lock and EURO8/Chris is building me a hydro handbrake.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing overly exciting

Got all the new cam seals, crank seal, water pump and cam belt on

p1000938g.jpg

Also brought an ae85 crossmember that ended up being purple with glitter once Chris/EURO8 got his hands on it! Quite stoked with that

p1000941k.jpg

Apart from that, the car is up in the air ready for parts to be swapped in but motivation is low with the garage being so cold at night so we will see how long that takes to happen

• 2 weeks later...

Tiny bit done tonight

All the box steering gear is out including the column so i can convert it to rack and pinion using NZ new ke70 stuff. All the lower arms, steering arms and crossmember are with Todd so he can work his magic ;)

p1000943h.jpg

Also have purchased a few things

p1000944j.jpg

p1000945c.jpg

Doesn't seem like a lot but ive also been clearing room in the garage to make it a bit easier to work on. Now that that's done, updates should be coming a bit more regularly

• 3 weeks later...

Update time

Finally managed to collect all the little bits for the ke70 rack conversion and after a bit of cutting and drilling, shes in

p1000953k.jpg

Also got 1 side of all the suspension in. Turns out this shell has the early bolt pattern for the camber plates so i needed to drill a few holes and do a bit of grinding for the custom camber plates

p1000952t.jpg

brought a set of extractors for Nicts car. I/Chris will play around with these just to make them a little different

p1000954v.jpg

Also Chris/EURON8 has added some gussets to my diff housing so that should support my rear coilovers. I just need to give the arms a lick of paint, push in the new bushes and put the diff in

Once its rolling, ill do the few last bits on the engine and then i can pop it in for the first time and see what needs to be fucked with

• 3 weeks later...

So after a bit of fucking around with different inner tie rods, the front was done (excuse the lack of "tidy" in the next few pictures. Its only together for mocking up)

p1000973w.jpg

With the front done, i moved onto the rear end.

Shes now got new Whiteline bushes in my Honey Badger arms, locked diff and JAW strengthened pins to support the coilover shocks (as previously mentioned)

p1000974h.jpg

And with that all done, it was time to slam it back on the ground

p1000978k.jpg

Its sitting hard on the bump stops in the rear so i need to trim them down but the front is tucking 14"s with 175/60s (the picture doesn't really show this) and has HUGE amounts of camber so that will need to be played with a bit so i can measure my new outer lips

Heres a picture showing Todds handy work

p1000979h.jpg

Now to look at dropping the engine in......

Today with the help of EURON8/Chris Cross, we managed to get the engine sitting in there

p1000980r.jpg

p1000981j.jpg

Also the extractors are a perfect fit

p1000982m.jpg

Now i have a million little things to do like sorting out the wiring, water pipes, fuel lines etc. I feel a bit lost as to where to start.

On monday ill go get a bunch of steel and what not and start with the water lines and gearbox crossmember i think

Back to the garage i go

• 8 months later...