Big Louies Tarmac Eating YB Cosworth Powered Anglia

The rebuild of my dream car is finally underway. After a year of frustration, investigation and finally realisation that the Ex Dave Laverick Anglia I bought and shipped from the UK would never get through certification because of extensive rust in the chassis rails and inner wing A pillars. The cost to repair would be too great so I set out on a quest for a decent shell to modify and build up. Start from scratch and build in all the good bits that I want in the car using the other car as the donor car. Build a car for use on the track as well as on the road. Full roll cage, 5 link rear end and fully adjustable suspension and rear anti roll bar.

I managed to acquire a really good shell from a guy who had one complete car and a very good shell. Paid the man $1000 for the shell and a load of spares. Should have bought the other car too but that might be being too greedy.

So the process was under way. I spoke to Pete of Pete's Customs who has done quite a bit of work on Halky's car, and after Halky's recommendations, I went to see the man in person. I had seen some of his work at the Rangiora Car Show, he is a master craftsman and a really good guy to deal with. So we formulated a plan. he checked out the Red Car and confirmed my worst feelings that a re-shell would be the best and cheapest way to go.

I arranged for delivery of the red car to pete's and the new shell as well. He will cut the new shell and mate up engine and gearbox, then I will take the red car home and strip it out completely. Clean up all the bits and start the rebuild.

The shell has just arrived back at Pete's Customs from the sand blasters, finally after a 3 week delay which has pushed the work progress back. Engine and front cross member ready for pulling from the ex Dave Laverick Red car (shipped in from the UK).

Will add some of the pikkies as and when time allows.

Hopefully the shell tidying and engine bay cutting and fitting will be complete before the xmas break up. I will try and keep the pikkies coming as the build progresses.

Daveb

This is what it looked like before I start pulling it to pieces.

Dave, change the title to Big Louies Tarmac Eating Anglia or similar...

OK Guys, Louie asked me to post the pictures of his car so far.. so here goes.

IMG_9493.jpg

Rusty RH Side chassis rail

IMG_9496.jpg

Inside the inner wings the a pillar had rusted thru

So this is my new shell..

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

So it has some holes in it, but overall much much better

Just a few more pics as the cutting begins. Gearbox tunnel and bulkhead has been provisionally cut out ready for fitting motor and shaping up the tunnel and bulkhead. New engine and gearbox mounts to be fabricated.

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

Battery tray removed and valance opened out to allow intercooler and radiator

Here is the engine in the red car ready to come out:

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

If you look closely, the car in the background is a morris minor truck with a turboed hayabusa in it...

075.jpg

063-1.jpg

Finally got some progress done on the build. managed to source 2 second hand wings which will be donors for the repair on the shell. front valance also a bit ropey so have found a near decent donor one. These have been cut and fitted.

Engine cross member was removed from the old car and was like a collander, in a pretty bad state. Have done some re-fab on that as it will only mount the rack and pinion steering.

New Sexy engine mounts fabricated up to mount the engine direct to the chassis rails and engine offered up to check fit. New gearbox mount to be fabbed up. Some extra strengthening to be put in around rails to engine bulkhead. So things are starting to move in the right direction.

Also have rear Anti Roll bar to fit once we get to the rear of the car.

This is the old cross member once removed. Looks OK a first glance but not that healthy once we started poking around.

oldenginexmemberwithabi.jpg

xmemberfab2.jpg

Then we stitched on a new bottom plate.

dsc05027z.jpg

and some brackets to hank it off the chassis rails:

xmemberwitholdenginemou.jpg

newxmemberfromfront.jpg

Squeeze the engine back in

trialfitofdonktonewcar.jpg

We needed some engine mounts. Pete from Petes Customs made these up..

sexynewenginemounts1.jpg

enginemountsk.jpg

withenginemountsandxmem.jpg

Now the front end of the car and the front valance and left hand wing got the treatment. There was some previous damage to the front valance that had been poorly repaired at some time so the decision was made to try and source some decent metal to repair it with.

Before:

frontlhcornerrepair.jpg

then:

newshellwithleftwingcho.jpg

add one of these:

donorfrontend2.jpg

we will end up with something like this:

donorfrontend2.jpg

more to come

And now the Gearbox tunnel fabrication, Gearbox mount and chassis rail under gearbox. Its starting to look the part. Have found problem with one of the Link Boxes for the rear suspension, it has not been welded right its on the piss so Lee is shipping a new one.

Fabrication of the gearbox Tunnel.

The handbrake mount will need to be unstitched and moved back.

dsc050681.jpg

dsc050671.jpg

And shutting off of the cross rails so its easier when doing gearbox change.

dsc050661.jpg

dsc050651.jpg

dsc050641.jpg

dsc050631.jpg

New gearbox cross member in place.

Evenntually it will run full 5 link rear end and coilovers with Rear Anti Roll bar. Fully adjustable front end with Rack and pinion steering. Wilwood 4 pots up front and Sierra Cosworth discs and handbrake set-up at the rear.

Drop tank mounted under the boot floor ex Torana / Aussie Tourers style with swirl pot and all the pumps in the boot. battery in boot. Dial Up ECU either Link or something similar. Will look at what the UK Boys are running in theirs. Full cage and she will be track and road legal. Waimate 500 Look Out.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully build will start again next week. few set backs like Pete's good lady giving birth to twin girls and him travelling to Auckland to see her as they shipped her up there for the birth. No hardship we will be back on track and building again soon.

Big Louie

• 2 months later...

Work is slowly progressing. Engine is out and has been off for a steam clean and will get a lick of paint. Have new Vernier Pulleys, water pump and drive belts on order from UK. Build progressing with the firewall and gearbox tunnel fab nearing completion. Front end bodywork nearly sorted, just some tidying up to do.

Moving house this week so everything grinds to a halt for the emptying of the old garage and the restocking of the new one. At least the new garage is bigger with a heater in it. yeah. Hopefully will have some pikkies of the progress in the next week or so.

Took the long weekend off to visit the Waimate 50 GT Weekend. Just brrriiillliant. drank lots of piss, talked a load of crap and saw more mullets in one place than ever before in a lifetime. But the racing and drags were just great. They condone doing as many burnouts as you like. Would be a great place to go on a Run for the labour Weekend next year but we all have to wear Mullet Wigs. Will post some pikkies as soon as I get my new place set up.

Big Louie