Datto610's 1977 180B CA18DET Project

Another busy Sunday out in the garage. Got the crank pulley torqued up, radiator and intercooler back in. Going to get a new t-stat before I fill her up with coola.nt, also going to satin black anodise my I.C pipes because.... Greg. Rear crossmember and diff bolted in along with my Datsport diff mount. Measured up how long my driveshaft needs to be, from end of g-box to diff flange it's 1125mm minus 15mm of float makes it 1110mm. Will need to get a whole new shaft made as all the ones I have aren't long enough so will take my g-box yoke and diff end into circle track this week and get them to make me one. No pics, it was cold and wet and I forgot haha. Still need to sort an accelerator pedal and cable out. I raided James' parts Z31 for those a while ago so may look at making that work pretty soon. Once I have a clutch line made she might move out of the garage under her own power! Exciting!

• 1 month later...

Alrighty big update time, really need to keep up with updating this thread.... Had a few kinks to iron out but all is going well now. Found out I had an oil leak at the rear of the engine, thought it was the rear main seal so changed that out a for a new one but as I went to re-install g-box saw that oil was leaking from the sump... Turned out that I didn't have a rear sump seal in there.... Took sump off and thought I may as well try and knock the dent out of the front. Was a bit harder than I thought so managed to source another one got all that in now and no more leaks! Once I did have the gearbox back in noticed that it was hard  up against the trans tunnel which was not good! Was thinking about making a new crossmember as I wasn't 100% with my one but manage to salvage it with a bit of modding. Flipped it over so it lowered the box down and welded two strips of 50x5mm flat on each end and made use of the other holes in the chassis. Did a test fit and it's all gravy, just need to get the strips of flat tigged up and tig over the old welds for added strength. Started to rebuild my Rx7 4 pots just waiting on some more seals so in the meantime got rear wheel bearings greased up and arms back in, rear arm adjuster locking bolts made and installed, axles in too so getting pretty close to test drive! Got a swish as braided line for my clutch just need to bleed that up almost forgot to mention that I have a driveshaft in as well took a while to get made and cost a fair bit but it's done now and I'm ever so close!

20131006_145658_zpsa31d628b.jpg

20131012_175536_zps65b0c7e5.jpg

20131012_183509_zps08e9e6a8.jpg

20131020_142229_zps1068ea52.jpg

20131020_142239_zpsc05102a6.jpg

20131020_164653_zps60935a1d.jpg

20131020_170911_zps616f1112.jpg

Got pretty jealous of my mate James' swish as catch can that he got for his Z31 so couldn't help to have a test fit in my engine bay. Looks like I'll be ditching my trade me cheapy one for this as it looks much nicer/better quality, also pretty sure he said they are baffled unlike my cheapo one.

20131020_175743_zps748f41f2.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Alrighty my holidays are almost over and I still haven't done anything except rev it up when people come round to visit. Bart was over last night and mentioned I should make a list of things I need to do to finish this thing off. So I did! She's a pretty big list...

*Make fuel filter bracket

*Get new handbrake cables made(mine are pretty rusty and no doubt second hand replacements will be also)

*Rebuild rear calipers

*Run rear brake lines

*Buy and fit new rear C.V boot clamps

*Get new rear springs made (1045lbs)

*Shorten rear shocks to suit

*Finish exhaust system(have my eye on an S13 2.5'' zorst on the tard, also getting a mig welder so might have a go at making my own from that...)

*Mount central locking solonoids

*Re-fit interior

*Mount ECU and relays to kick panel

*Get my mate Dan to convert my tach to work with the CA 

*Get rear crossmember and front struts crack tested then paint and re-install

*Buy new rear discs

*Install driveshaft hoop - will need some more right angle flat bar as I used some of it for the g-box xmember. Still have the loop part.

*Buy my own tyres 

*Attach front guards and grill permanently. Will also need to address the huge dent in drivers side guard at some point....

*Get speedo calibrated. For the moment I'm using my 4.3 R200 VLSD but have a 4.1 that I want to build as a mechanical LSD at some stage so will have to do this again.

*Fix oil leak in diff, just needs the cover removed and threebond used not red rtv.... will do this when rear end comes back out.

*Make a panel to conceal fuel tank in boot.

*Re-bleed brakes once rear calipers and lines are fitted

*Re-fit dash

*Mount horns

*Fit replacement reverse light switch - one on g-box at the moment has the connectors sheared off was like that when I got it.

*May need to shorten speedo cable?

*Mount battery box in boot, either get new cables made that reach boot or lengthen existing ones

*Get fittings welded onto turbo intake for BOV plumback and exhaust side cam cover fitting - eventually run a catch can.

*Plumb BOV into the turbo intake, need 1'' I.D hose.

*Plumb wastegate into I.C piping - will most likely need to strip anodising off and weld a fitting onto I.C pipe. No big deal as I can it re-done for freebies!

*Do a skid!!

*Get wheel alignment

*Go for cert

a.) pass and have a big party or

b.) fail have a cry sort it then still have a big party

*Drive the dam thing around after 6+ years and debut at Datsun Nationals Akaroa 2014!

If I have missed anything out don't be afraid to mention it.

Did some work on this today! Even if it was just hooking up the front doors central locking solenoids. Wasn't as hard as I first thought which is why I hadn't done it sooner. Going to have to get creative on the rear doors though, Mr Datsun didn't make 610 rear doors very central locking friendly.... No pics as I lost my good phone just before xmas and I can't find my SD card for my digi cam. Should have replacement phone soon be patient. Also as I was backing her into the garage noticed a big pile of water on the ground   :shock:  drove back out onto the drive to investigate. Could only see water dripping down passenger side chassis rail nothing in the engine bay. Then looked back into the inside of the car and noticed the heater box was leaking......  Will investigate further at some point.

Got my new phone so can take photos again yay! Here's a pic of the drivers door with the central locking motor installed. For the rear doors I'm going to need a much longer arm to mount to that short locking arm on the door will most likely end up mounting the motors vertically and attach to the locking arm. Will hunt around work for some quite small o.d rod. 

20140118_135206_zps166854bc.jpg

20140118_135222_zps817ff5b2.jpg

Also spent many hours trying to track down the leak in the heater system. First I attempted to try and remove the whole heater assembly which was proving difficult, I suspected it was the heater tap right at the back but after putting my hand in behind it was bone dry, so after much confusion as to where this leak was coming from I manage to figure out that the core itself was leaking  :shock:  Whipped that out and yup pretty nasty leak on the side, which is weird must've been on it's way out as it never leaked since I first topped the cooling system up... Because I'm a hoarder and don't throw things out I had a spare! Filled that up with water to see if this one was any  good seemed legit so chucked in it hooked the heater back up voilà no more leaks!

20140118_162017_zps101b2de4.jpg

20140118_162028_zpsef957f69.jpg

Still need to bleed the cooling system some more temp gets rather high, also my thermo switch for the fan doesn't seem to work and it's brand new! so currently have to run a jumper wire between the two connectors in order for it to work. Any thoughts on why the switch isn't working? Think it's an 85deg switch which I'm pretty sure is the same as the t-stat.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's been a while but still very slowly chipping away at things. Fitted a 100A circuit breaker to replace the factory fusable link that went to the battery. No power to ignition unless the switch is closed :D

Once I've got my shed set up (didn't fit where I initially wanted to put it) I'll clear some crap out of the garage drive the 180 out, turn it around so I can jack the rear end up sort out the back brakes. Hopefully this weekend!

20140619_170118_zps1hmuvpsv.jpg

• 2 years later...