maxted's 1980 ex lancer

maxted

Been looking for a tidy ex for awhile now since i sold my last one to my younger bro for way to cheap and the little prick wont sell it now, looks quite smart now with a bit of a tidy up was a bit off a pig wen picked it up with a locked diff, sun faded paint ect ect, giving him a hand to do all this lowering, cut n polish (all the things can do on his tight budget) kinda inspired me to get another, heres some pics

p1000463m.jpg

p1000460wn.jpg

so last week picked up a ex lancer from a nice old chap in christchurch while down there for work, just spotted it tucked in behind his fence on way to work so stopped in that night, bit of bartering and he caved as he needed money for his morris minor project, its nice and tidy hes looked after it well just had cambelt done all the fluids changed, interiors not too bad for age couple of cracks in the dash and drivers side door cards have come away at the top,

218247729full.jpg

218247830full.jpg

218248044full.jpg

also brought some 15x7 rims from phil (ke36) with intentions off putting on r31 wagon but dont think they would of filled the gaurds that well, should look smart on the lancer tho

209882367full.jpg

so just need to get the car back to nelson in 2 weeks so can start sorting out the suspension side of things,

heres couple of pics of my old gsr ex miss this thing, regret selling it but really wanted to go live in england at the time so sold it,

ex5o.jpg

ex3b.jpg

at a mates xmas bbq a few years ago thort it would be a good idea to pop its tyres haha

exskid.jpg

also bit of a side project turned up last week more to come on this later

p1000475u.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

got back from chch bit of a slow trip with the 4 speed stuck at 90-100km revving its tits out and a vibration at roughly 70km, scored a 5 speed so just finished putting that in, replaced clutch, pressure plate and release bearing, clutch was definitely on its way out, it was down to the rivets on the flywheel side and had made a mess of the surface so got that machined nice and smooth, got given the wrong release bearing so that made it a bit of a slow process and couldn't get one on saturday or sunday when it was all ready to go back together! then found a bit of play in drive shaft uni's so replaced them also, took it for a test run now does 100km+ and no vibration, result! also new rear shocks have arrived and scored a w55 for next to nothing in a deal so stoked with that. now to get wheels on and start measuring/working out some heights

old 4 speed (bye bye)

p1000539v.jpg

new 5 speed

p1000538d.jpg

managed to snake a spot in the old boys garage

p1000542l.jpg

w55 box (i believe?) ditch the bellhousing and sort an adaptor for the 12a

p1000543r.jpg

new rear shocks, bilstiens suspension tech made for me

p1000544h.jpg

Last night tried one rim on to see how it sat, then thought might swell temporary lower it to see what sort of heights can work with clearances ect, so in went some cutties till got new struts made. also put together a new work bench and got 12a out to start checking over.

p1000560o.jpg

p1000557y.jpg

p1000562v.jpg

p1000561q.jpg

• 2 months later...

had to get wof a couple of months ago so put everything back to standard and run it through only needed new brake pads in the front, then had just been using it as my daily until couple of weeks ago got a cheap run around, so put the lancer back in the garage, and stripped the dash, door cards and parcel tray out, to all be recovered, bogged up the cracks and speaker hole in the dash and re-made door card inserts and parcel tray out of 3mm mdf. dropped it all off to be recovered on tuesday so looking forward to getting them back and get it all back together,getting it all re-done in a similar to factory light brown vinyl, need to take out the front screen and re-seal as with all this rain it started to get a couple of leaks dripping onto the dash, also got a straight bumper to replace the buggered one that was on it but its really faded, ive heard wurth do a good plastic dye to bring it back to black anyone else used it or know of any good products out there?

p1000589.jpg

p1000590n.jpg

p1000593g.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest maxted

thought better finish project thread for this lancer, heres a few snaps of it finished before i sold it, got all the recovered interior in, and replaced bumpers with straight ones that i re-dyed using the wurth plastic dye (worked so well). scrubbed up well i thought. was sad to see it go.

off to brisbane in two weeks, will have to find a new project over there

img0194ld.jpg

img0189xo.jpg

img0190qn.jpg

img0193sa.jpg

img0205j.jpg

img0202fv.jpg

Guest maxted

also finished building first 12a, took awhile but was good fun, its a 12a twin dizzy block, had immaculate housing (thanks to running carbon apex seals all their life im guessing), its a oddball rx4 engine that has a single exhaust port instead of the funny 3 hole most twin dizzys have, and also has a 10a rear bellhousing pattern with low mount starter, rebuilt it using carbon apex seals, batty stat gears, all new seals springs, bearings, oil/water seals, gaskets ect from pineapple racing, gave it a full cut bridgeport, shimmed pressure regs, heres some photos....

img0043x.jpg

img0044fbi.jpg

img0047bg.jpg

img0089ut.jpg

img0196nj.jpg

img0314vt.jpg

img0318gr.jpg

img0329aq.jpg

img0337in.jpg

img0343ho.jpg

heres vid of first start up

also compression test it, did it with piston engine tester, got 3 even bounces on both rotors (around 30psi on gauge) and a overall of 90psi for each rotor

img0475ry.jpg

img0479fx.jpg

got it advertised for sale if it does sell ill do another in ozzy, if not ill box it up and send it over for next project